America’s Byways (For Motorcycle Riders) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
America’s Byways (For Motorcycle Riders)

WHAT ARE THE BEST MOTORCYCLE ROADS? I’m sure there’s a bunch of roads you could name right now that you deem as your favorites. But did you know that there is an even bigger bunch that is officially designated as “National Scenic Byways“? And, by the way, what the heck is an officially designated “All-American Road”?

Here’s the scoop:

The US Department of Transportation recognizes certain chunks of motorcycle-riding splendor for their archeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational, and/or scenic qualities and calls them “National Scenic Byways.”

If that’s not an enticing enough list of soul-fulfilling riding destinations, they then take that list and isolate a number that are the MOST scenic and those are called “All-American Roads.” Stated differently, these are America’s “A list” motorcycle destinations for sport-touring riders. All-American Roads include destinations such as:

♦ Big Sur Coast Highway

♦ Beartooth Highway

♦ Blue Ridge Parkway

♦ San Juan Skyway

In fact, check out the whole list of America’s Byways
http://www.byways.org/explore/byways#index_A
You can also request an America’s Byways Map which will be mailed to you at no charge. (Alas, it’s only for folks in North America).

What’s your favorite byway?

(http://motorcycle-intelligence.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heres one I bet a lot of people dont know about. Its a little dirt road that runs for about 20 miles between Route 7 and Route 50 in Virginia along the Shenandoah River. It runs N-S and the Shenandoah is one of a hand full of rivers that flow north!

Thanks for the post Ill be looking at the rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_WDG6121.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	8782  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You are

wish we had that much of roads here. I am done with about 60% of the roads here. Nothing much left to ride so might look into the neighbouring country-Thailand.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Thanks a bunch Fastoman. Just requested the map. If you run out of roads at your location, just come on over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM

I wish my GPS had the option to choose Scenic Byways. I can pick not to ride on the highway. Take bicycle route, hiking route, fastest route and shortest route. Seems like the option to take the most Scenic Route would be great for motorcyclists when traveling.
Until then, I will stick with a good old map in conjunction with the GPS.
BTW, some of my favorite roads are:Going to the Sun Highway, Pacific Coast Highway, Blueridge Parkway, Natchez Trace

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thumper; 10-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM

The National Covered bridge byway, Ohio aka Route 26 is one of my favorite,The Hatfield /McCoy trail is another.

AMA EAA STN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode