4Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
fall color ride in BC's Okanagan Valley...

Just before leaving BC for AZ I decided to go riding, taking pics of some of the brilliant colors that show up that far W. I'll start w/ the road out of my home:

and here are the same trees, but looking BACK uphill:

The rest will be in the order of my ride, starting going N

now along Lake Okanagan.

BreckRider and P.E. like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

NOT quite as much color here where a new winery is planting grapes

and this dirt road goes behind it.

Back onto pavement, entering Vernon

and here's the view towards the airport, and the N end of the lake (which is about 65 miles long).

ZeroPoint likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

returning S

Turned around, now heading back S, here on 'Commonage Rd'

while these of Kalamalka Lake, just E of Lake Okanagan, Woods Lake in the distance.

Now back onto Commonage Rd

In a few miles I transitioned back onto that stretch of dirt road

back towards Lake Okanagan, Kelowna way-y-y up there.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Got back onto pavement

then back onto the road to my place

w/ UBC Okanagan at the upper right-hand of this last pic.

It was a GREAT way to end my Canadian part of the year (rode 19,456 kms since early April)...!

-
saddlebag likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Awesome. I left Kelowna when the university was breaking ground, and that whole area was orchards and small farms. Magnificent country. Supposed to be near 100 this weekend here, you should bring beer.

My burning question: is 12v disconnected???

Cheers!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Awesome. I left Kelowna when the university was breaking ground, and that whole area was orchards and small farms. Magnificent country. Supposed to be near 100 this weekend here, you should bring beer.

My burning question: is 12v disconnected???

Cheers!
Burp-p-p..., as I put down the frosty-looking Tecate....

THAT sign is to remind me to disconnect my heated jacket liner before I get OFF - it works..., SOMETIMES...!

Joe - we gotta get together for a ride sometime.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 PM

Fun would ensue.....

I've been researching some rides around PHX, some longer trips like a back way to Jerome etc. I saw you did the BDR or parts of it, do you have a couple 'don't miss' rides??? There's a ton of info on ADVRider, so much great riding in AZ.

Last - have you done BACK way to Crown King on your V?

Grazi.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Fun would ensue.....

I've been researching some rides around PHX, some longer trips like a back way to Jerome etc. I saw you did the BDR or parts of it, do you have a couple 'don't miss' rides??? There's a ton of info on ADVRider, so much great riding in AZ.

Last - have you done BACK way to Crown King on your V?

Grazi.
Isn't the ride I did last year to Crown King, the BACK WAY...?

LOTS of "don't miss" rides in AZ...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Reminds me of why I miss riding around BC, besides the folks I know there that is. Thanks for the pics..............now enjoy Arizona. I need to get back down that way myself and ride some more of Route 66.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 PM

Cool

[QUOTE=fasteddiecopeman;1242298]Isn't the ride I did last year to Crown King, the BACK WAY...?

If you drove through Cleator both there and back, nope - the 'back way' is up through Lake Pleasant. I read your ride report some time ago, so not sure. The back way has several tougher stretches, which I've not yet done, none as hard as BDR I'm sure. You may have, just not sure. Front way is all graded gravel - beautiful in spots though, and still lots of fun.

Pondering a 'Versys rally' in AZ some time early 2017 for any and all of you that may be in the area. I'm discovering, as FastEddie has asserted - there's lots of must-see rides here, some best in summer (north rim, Grand Canyon) and others best in winter (south) - but great rides all year, ideally suited to a Versys rider with a bit of skill and prep!

And FastEddie will be here with his 100 year old bottle of..... scotch? Bourbon? Labatts Blue?

Welcome all. Cheers!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 PM

Caveat: I don't know for a fact FastEddie is willing to share his 'old grandad', or ancient bottles of 'Blue' (Canickistan brew), or whatever else he may have brewed up in his spare time..... but come for the ride anyway. The only rule is 'Epic'.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Joe - just looking at my maps: we went THRU Cleator on the way IN, then W of Crown King we transitioned to the "Senator Hwy" and NW up to Prescott. The name - Senator Hwy - belies the fact that it was a VERY GNARLY, NASTY 'trail' (at least - in SEVERAL LONG sections!).

Would I "do" it again...?

NOPE.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 PM

Yes, that's definitely the round trip and the back way is apparently much more dirt bike oriented in a few spots. I'll take that as good advice, and stick to the less killer routes for now. Heading up through 7 springs (N of Carefree) and up FR41, perhaps all the way to New River. I believe the Great Western Trail runs up that way too. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode