• 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
dirt to the Douglas Ranch (and back...)

Wednesday I started out at 0820 w/ my neighbor (who rides a Duc, as well as a BMW Dakar 650) for a day of "fun" in the dirt, riding to the largest cattle ranch in Canada, about 40 miles W as the 'crow flies', but a "tad" further via dirt roads, which transition near the town of Peachland on Lake Okanagan. I had removed the LT saddlebags for weight and width issues, and attached my old 'manuals-bag' from when I was flying, to hold water and tools. It was "cool" enough that I wore my heated jacket liner under my Kilimanjaro jacket, ON at LOW.... We stopped so John could get a coffee here, in Peachland.

Soon we headed W again,

then onto a heavily rutted dirt road, foreshadowing pretty much the NEXT 180 kms (112 miles...), but it WAS clear....

As we approached the Coquihalla Hwy "Connector", BC 97C, OUR route took a 90 degree left turn

to parallel it a 'ways' before riding under it.
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-17-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

On the other side of 97C we stopped for a quick "rest" stop

then our route followed along and beneath the power lines, LOTS of standing on the 'pegs

then we transitioned onto "Douglas Ranch" land, private but road access allowed.

Looks like a good place for a lunch break...

but soon it was time to 'mount-up' again, continuing in a NW direction.

This is NOT the ranch "home quarter" yet - it's a bit further N.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Soon the historical marker for the ranch appeared beside the road,

we crossed the Nicola River

then onto the "home quarter" which includes a place of worship.

John had noticed a 'wiggly-line' on his forestry map that appeared to join the Ranch to Lake Okanagan's Westside Road on a local Indian band's reservation, so finding it was our plan, and soon we were on it, heading E, and DOWN...!

(By that time I had been able to turn my jacket from LOW to OFF......)

Where this pic was taken the side of the road disappears down a 'scree' slope a few hundred feet, probably ONE good rain-storm away from heading down TOO...!

Below, along the road, BOTH sides of the mountains are just a jumble of boulders. Scary looking, but eventually the descent leveled off

and 15 minutes later we arrived onto West Side Road, and PAVEMENT...!

Another hour of 'not-dusty-riding' (remember I was riding in dust the whole day as only John had the route in HIS GPS!), and we arrived at home.

When I gassed-up, my fuel mileage worked out to 78 mpgImperial (62.4 mpgUS), but quite a bit was 'slogging' along at lower speeds....

Took me several hours Thursday to wash that dust off the GREEN HORNET TOO....

-
ATYC and Braflavski like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful Scenery....
JoesoFat2Stupid likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I just took some time to come up w/ maps for this ride. I took pics of a 'topo' map, then added colored 'shading' to show our route.

Grey is the paved parts, both start and finish; blue is the first half of the dirt from Peachland to the Douglas Ranch; then red shows the trails thru Indian land down to the Westside Road. Hope they're easy to follow....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

I used to be Cojacket on the forums now I'm BreckRider!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am jealous.............that kind of ride is why I bought the Versys. I tried some gravel roads today with the OEM street tires and not bad at all.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I rode all THREE of my Vs on dirt on the OEM Dunlops, till they wore down enough to get changed-out, and I figure that probably comes to 3 to 5,000 miles. NEVER on mud, and ALWAYS carefully...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

This my favorite time of year!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Making me homesick... traveled those routes in a mis-spent youth, 4x4 full of beer... mmmmmm. Well done, Sir.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
i had to go back and look at my route to see how close i was to Douglas Ranch when i went through there NW to SE...fairly close, camped at Adams Lake, not far to the NE.

plenty of gravel roads around there.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

jdrocks - "... i had to go back and look at my route to see how close i was to Douglas Ranch when i went through there NW to SE...fairly close, camped at Adams Lake, not far to the NE.

plenty of gravel roads around there...."

Pretty area, and just a FEW miles N of the world-famous "Adams River salmon run" which comes up SOON...!

Adams River Salmon Society, Shuswap, BC, Salmon Run, Salute to the Sockeye | The salmon of the North Shuswap

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode