4Likes
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 3 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My new Versys in Gold Country

Hi Versys folks,

I'm still breaking in my new 2016 V650 , which is a real pain as I really want to open it up!
It was beautiful day out on HWY 49 in Gold country. Coloma was where gold was first discovered in California and started the Gold Rush. Lot's of history and great rides up and down the state on HWY 49.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3531.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	97649  
otkagony likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Cool photo. Yep the break in periods seem to last forever. Finally got to nail the throttle on my V-1000 today..Damn its quick...
jnor, joporker and jofatF like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Hi Versys folks,

I'm still breaking in my new 2016 V650 , which is a real pain as I really want to open it up!
It was beautiful day out on HWY 49 in Gold country. Coloma was where gold was first discovered in California and started the Gold Rush. Lot's of history and great rides up and down the state on HWY 49.
Congrats on the new V. Looks like we're neighbors. My son and I did a Labor Day morning ride, around western El Dorado County, including stretches of 49, and stops along the American River. Beautiful riding area.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Kawafornia, I live in Roseville. I intend on doing the Carson and Ebbets passes before winter. Hard to believe that fall is coming soon when temperatures are still in the 90'S!
The trees will have started to change color in the higher elevations very soon if they haven't started already.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 AM

Looking good! Also, not looking forward to my break in period..

Welcome to the forum
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:22 AM

Howdy from a long-time rider but fellow Versys newbie (bought a leftover '15 just a few months ago). Breaking in this motor was torture since the engine (mine anyway) doesn't even begin putting out until 4500 rpm at least. It's worth suffering thru it, though. Mine loosened up noticeably at about 900 miles, after which I gave it the beans at will. BTW, I was stationed in Sacto for 5 years in the '80s and loved Hwy 49 and that whole area.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Hi Kawafornia, I live in Roseville. I intend on doing the Carson and Ebbets passes before winter. Hard to believe that fall is coming soon when temperatures are still in the 90'S!
The trees will have started to change color in the higher elevations very soon if they haven't started already.
I love Alpine County; was up there 3 weekends, this summer, camping, hiking and bicycling. Self-propelled Monitor and Ebbets Passes, in July are tough, but beautiful. Would consider riding my V up there.

Let me know when you're thinking of heading up; maybe we can meet.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
For all the break-in woes search the Motoman break-in method. No waiting required. It's been done by many with NO negative effects.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Alaska Jeff, Actually, I am doing the Motoman method. You still need to be conscious of varying acceleration and deceleration and avoiding prolonged driving at steady speeds which is difficult not to do in traffic. I'm really trying to stay away from main roads and traffic as much as possible.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I took back-roads on the rides home from the dealer (three times!), so I could accelerate hard, than throttle off, then accelerate, etc. THAT ride was usually around 50 miles, then I changed oil and filter when I got home. Break-in complete....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:45 PM

Highway 49 is a fun road, I did a ride back on 3/14 along Highway 49 from Valley Springs down to Sonora. Good road to spend a Sunday riding.
I'd like to ride up to Auburn on 49, my sister-in-law lives in Placerville and rides an old Virago. Fun to hook up and ride
along the river. Video on my YT Channel linked below.
I rode Highway 1 this past summer down to Capitola, also on the YT Channel. I'm down in Tracy if you ever get out in that area.

Ride smart, ride safe. Let the horizon get sideways!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode