Dallas To Midland - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dallas To Midland

My wife and I just did our first trip on our motorcycles. We even blogged about it.

Anyway, before the trip I had an Eastern Beaver PC-8 installed to drive a Powerlet adapter and an adapter for my GPS. We used the GPS the whole time (I plotted routes before we left), and used the Powerlet to pump up the Blast's tires one morning.

I already had installed a Givi E52, which worked great. We have a Rick Steves backpack that we packed light enough for it to fit. It was plenty for the 3 day trip.

I have a Baldwin seat that Loren custom made just for me. My seat does great for short rides (much better than the stock seat). But on this trip, it just didn't cut it. I'll admit that my maximus is rather minimus. So what should I do in addition to that?

Also, my throttle hand (and arm!) ached almost the whole trip (after about 2 hours into each leg). I read this thread and tried loosening my grip, but to no avail ... I kept catching myself with a tight grip. Still, my left hand was fine. I might try some of the suggestions in there, but I think I also need to work more on loosening my grip.

I know now that there's no getting around it: I need a new windscreen. I got tired of being blown around the whole time. I like the look of some of the other windscreens, but I think I'll get the CalSci because it seems the most functional.

I also need to find a better traveling bike for my wife. The Buell Blast did surprisingly well. There were no power or size issues, really (she had no issues cruising at 70 mph). But she could use something bigger, less vibey and with more range and baggage options. The V has approximately twice the range as the Blast just because of its tank size. We're considering the Honda NT700V and maybe a couple of others. She's 5'4" and could never handle a bike as tall as the V. I think she'd like something that works great around the city, where we ride almost every weekend, and then something comfortable on overnight trips. Any other suggestions?

This all made me want to do more trips. It really was a lot of fun, which is amazing considering by butt and hand/arm hurt so much of the time. Makes me think I should buy another bike for touring . But my garage is packed with 2 cars and 3 bikes. Maybe just sell the V and get another sport tourer? So many awesome bikes! But I'm sticking with the V for now. I think I have a lot to learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent usage of links! I especially liked the way you did the awesome bike thing at the end!

How about an ER6 or the ninja 650 for your wife?

As far as your arm pain, how about a nice throttle lock? I think it would work wonders for you. There are quite a few options. I used a cramp buster for a few rides, and it works good for long freeway stretches, but is a little tricky in the stop & go stuff. It gets in the way. But the throttle lock would work better. If I did longer trips, I'd add one for sure.

Oh, and nice blog!

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 09-22-2010 at 10:12 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
+ 1 on the ER6

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Excellent usage of links! I especially liked the way you did the awesome bike thing at the end!
I just see so many cool bikes so often. I love how many there are out there. I also just checked out a video of the Concours 14. That's another interesting design.
Quote:
How about an ER6 or the ninja 650 for your wife?
Thanks, more below.

Quote:
As far as your arm pain, how about a nice throttle lock? I think it would work wonders for you. There are quite a few options. I used a cramp buster for a few rides, and it works good for long freeway stretches, but is a little tricky in the stop & go stuff. It gets in the way. But the throttle lock would work better. If I did longer trips, I'd add one for sure.
I saw those in that thread I linked to above. I need to do more reading on them. To this point, the idea of something holding the throttle open has not seemed wise. But I'm completely ignorant of how they actually work.

Quote:
Oh, and nice blog!
Hey, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
+ 1 on the ER6
We had talked about the ER-6n. It seems to be a stepping stone from the Blast. I'd need to read more about the farkle availability, because she'd sure like an effective windscreen. But it seems like Givi works with it.

I assumed the Ninja would be such a bent over riding position it would not be comfortable for a longer ride. It is supposed to have better wind protection though. The Kawasaki site says it's an upright riding position, but I wonder if that's really relative ... they didn't show anyone on the bike.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Great report and blog. And it is fun to look at all the possibilities in touring bikes out there. I have traveled on a few and found for me that a very upright riding position sure makes long days of riding the most enjoyable. The V is excellent in this important department. Any bike that has you leaning into the bars even a little will get to your hands,arms and back after a few hours. It is surprising how some sport touring bikes are set up like that.
But maybe they are aimed at a younger market. I'm getting to be an old fart and need all the help I can get from the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post

I saw those in that thread I linked to above. I need to do more reading on them. To this point, the idea of something holding the throttle open has not seemed wise. But I'm completely ignorant of how they actually work.
Don't worry..it will seem wise after approximately 2 seconds of using it. I have the universal throttle lock that slips over the grip. It was about 30 bucks or so and by far the best mod you can make in my opinion.

The throttle lock doesn't actually "lock" the throttle. Just puts enough pressure on it to keep it from closing. And you can adjust the pressure. It's real easy to close the throttle in a hurry with the lock on if you have to. And best part is it's so easy to operate with your thumb.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I do think I'd like to try one out.

I found that one http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FMOTORCYCLE-VISTA-CRUISE-CONTROL-UNIVERSAL%2Fdp%2FB002EYZZSC&tag=5336338025-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325. Then there's one by http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/. Then there are the http://www.kaoko.com/.

I would think the ones that fit on the bar side of the grip would be easier to use and more compatible with things like hand guards.

(BTW, what's the deal with links? My text is being replaced with URLs.)

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 09-25-2010 at 03:04 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I do think I'd like to try one out.

I found that one on Amazon. Then there's one by BreakAway. Then there are the bar-end versions.

I would think the ones that fit on the bar side of the grip would be easier to use and more compatible with things like hand guards.

(BTW, what's the deal with links? My text is being replaced with URLs.)
Hmmm... Don't know, I can't get 'em to work either! Weird...

What'd you do!!??

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hmmm... Don't know, I can't get 'em to work either! Weird...

What'd you do!!??

Well looky there! They work in my quoted box...

That is WEIRD!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Crazy. I tried editing it both in the QR box and in Advanced, same issue.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
My wife and I just did our first trip on our motorcycles. We even blogged about it.

I have a Baldwin seat that Loren custom made just for me. My seat does great for short rides (much better than the stock seat). But on this trip, it just didn't cut it. I'll admit that my maximus is rather minimus. So what should I do in addition to that?

Also, my throttle hand (and arm!) ached almost the whole trip (after about 2 hours into each leg). I read this thread and tried loosening my grip, but to no avail ... I kept catching myself with a tight grip. Still, my left hand was fine. I might try some of the suggestions in there, but I think I also need to work more on loosening my grip.

I also need to find a better traveling bike for my wife. The Buell Blast did surprisingly well. There were no power or size issues, really (she had no issues cruising at 70 mph). But she could use something bigger, less vibey and with more range and baggage options. The V has approximately twice the range as the Blast just because of its tank size. We're considering the Honda NT700V and maybe a couple of others. She's 5'4" and could never handle a bike as tall as the V. I think she'd like something that works great around the city, where we ride almost every weekend, and then something comfortable on overnight trips. Any other suggestions?
I also have the minimus maximus and vertically challenged better half. Here's my 2 cents:

There's nothing really you can do about your seat. You can try a dead sheep on the motorcycle seat though. I've pretty much just learned to suck it up and bitch and moan a lot.
The hands you can change grips that will help. I like the ProGrip Gel714's. They have a contoured shape that is more comfortable. Foam Grip Puppies that slide over the grips are highly recommended on this forum as well.
I am not a big fan of the ER-6N or the 650 Ninja, but they will work. This particular Ninja isn't a sport bike and the ergos are pretty upright.
I would recommend instead a good lightly used Suzuki SV650 or WeeStrom. The engine is fantastic and there is tons of aftermarket support for touring, including lowering kits. Suzuki also has better QC than Kawasaki.
For reliability on long trips, my wife replaced her Kawasaki with a Harley Davidson Sportster. With mid-mount pegs/controls it sits more upright than a cruiser. With the larger tank the range is acceptable. It also has a plethora of available touring bits. The vibes are significantly different from the Blast, most chicks seem to enjoy them...

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

We went up to Denton today so my wife could check out a few of the bikes. She tried sitting on the ER-6n, the Honda NT700V, the Ninja 650r, and the SV650. They were all too tall.

So that pretty much moved us out of any kind of sportish territory. Next she tried some roadsters and cruisers. One bike that fit her well was the Honda Shadow RS. I'm not sure I like the tech of the bike (no tach, no real fuel gauge, single front caliper and rear drum break like my Norton! ), but I guess it's not for me. It also has a smallish take (2.8g).

It at least gave us an idea of what we need to be looking for.

I definitely need to do something about the pain in my right hand. Maybe I should start small and try the gel grips first.

Oh, I also sat on a bike that has had my attention lately: the Concours 14. I love that bike. It picked up easy for me and fit me well ... except I was leaning forward a bit more than I like. Those "bars" are probably not going to be easy to elongate. Anyway, just as well ... I certainly don't need to buy two bikes ... my garage is already packed.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 PM

There are available lowering kits for the SV650. My 5'3" wife sat on a lowered one once and could get both feet on the ground. There are also lowering options for the Versys, though I don't know if it can safely be lowered enough.
Don't rule out a H-D 883 with mid-mount pegs. There is an available larger fuel tank that gives it a range near that of the Versys. It can also usually lean further over than most of the Jap cruisers before dragging hard parts.
As for your hands, you might try using gel foot insole pads designed to be used on womens shoes for the balls of their feet. I find they fit nicely inside my riding gloves and make a difference in hand comfort.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

A lowering kit for the SV650 might be just the thing. Very interesting!

We'll consider a HD, certainly. I don't know much about them, but they don't appear to give as much value for the money. But I may be comparing apples/oranges. They do have some more color options (she wants purple).

I'm open to just about anything for my right hand.

Thanks!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
A lowering kit for the SV650 might be just the thing. Very interesting!
We'll consider a HD, certainly. I don't know much about them, but they don't appear to give as much value for the money. But I may be comparing apples/oranges. They do have some more color options (she wants purple).
I'm open to just about anything for my right hand.
Thanks!
OK, our wives HAVE to meet. I swear they must be closely related. Care to join us in the Hill Country the first weekend of November? (We're camping at Garner)

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like fun but we have another trip booked starting that weekend.

We actually might be down your way the previous weekend if we can swing it for a quick family visit. We would probably be coming down that Friday, but might not make it in much closer to Austin than Dripping Springs.

I ordered those grips, btw.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Salt Lick BBQ... Mmmm...

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, pretty darn good. There are a lot of good places in that general area. I also like Buster's, but their garlic pork was more than I could handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode