Member Rides Show off your Versys...

4Likes
  • 4 Post By TRZ Charlie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The Great Smokies and the Tail of the Dragon

Seven of my friends and I met in Maggie Valley, NC. for a week of street and gravel riding. We came here to ride the storied "Tail of the Dragon and parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Enjoy

(Click the image to be taken to the video)

jnor, saddlebag, 31Unser and 1 others like this.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:30 PM

Garage
Great places to ride! Jealous.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Did you do the dirt cherohala?

My all time favorite song. Now where is my lady! I'm coming home darling! I ride too fast when that song is playing in my ear.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 08-05-2016 at 03:58 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Very Nice.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:25 PM

I have ridden across the country....and the BRP, and western NC is still my favorite....I'll be down there next month...

'15 DL1000
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Did you do the dirt cherohala?

My all time favorite song. Now where is my lady! I'm coming home darling! I ride too fast when that song is playing in my ear.
My compadres did, I gave up gravel a while back due to my aging abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I have ridden across the country....and the BRP, and western NC is still my favorite....I'll be down there next month...
It was gorgeous. Make sure you ride from intersection of Highway 19 north and Highway 215 south to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is in the Pisgah National Forest.

About 2 miles from the intersection of 215 and the parkway you will cross a small bridge. If you stop there you will find a magnificent set of waterfalls called "Wildcat Falls".

Cheers,

Charlie

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
We also stopped in at the "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley. This is a "must do" if you are a rider. worth every penny of admission. $15 adult $12 seniors.

Click the image to go to the video

Cheers,

Charlie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
We also stopped in at the "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley. This is a "must do" if you are a rider. worth every penny of admission. $15 adult $12 seniors.

Click the image to go to the video

I have talked to guys who have raced motorcycles on Daytona Beach back in the day.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 AM

Did you trailer the bikes over or did you ride? If you rode, are you still running the stock seat in its stock position?

I actually like the stock seat for riding twisties but it can be a pain for long cruises.

Nice video. Blue ridge reminds me of the Ozarks except the third dimension has been magnified 2 or 3 times! Happy to see you had such a good time.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
We trailed over. It is a 12 hour drive from Fayetteville, AR. But totally worth it. The only rides we have here in Northwest Arkansas are Highway 125 and Push Mountain Road. Both are not nearly as intense as the Dragon. On the Dragon you better be on your game or you will be in a ditch.

I've done some foam trimming on my seat to get rid of the slope forward and I also scooped out some of the foam on areas that I had pressure points. It's very comfortable now.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Garage
I live in Greenville SC. It's a little less than three hours to the TotD. It's a great road but between the traffic and the patrols there are so many other really great roads I rarely get out that way. 215 is an excellent road as well. I am also a big fan of the Ozarks too. I recently rode my 2016 Versys up to Buffalo NY for the BMWMOA national rally. I did almost 800 miles coming home In one day. The bike did really well. But the seat needs some work. I'm planning to modify it similar to what you described. It sounds like you are happy with it. Any tips or things to look it for?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by komalley View Post
I live in Greenville SC. It's a little less than three hours to the TotD. It's a great road but between the traffic and the patrols there are so many other really great roads I rarely get out that way. 215 is an excellent road as well. I am also a big fan of the Ozarks too. I recently rode my 2016 Versys up to Buffalo NY for the BMWMOA national rally. I did almost 800 miles coming home In one day. The bike did really well. But the seat needs some work. I'm planning to modify it similar to what you described. It sounds like you are happy with it. Any tips or things to look it for?
Yes, it pays to have someone help you when you are trying to figure out where your pressure points are. Sit on the seat and point to where you are uncomfortable and have your help mark the seat with blackboard chalk. My two worst spots were where my hip joints hit on the seat.

So I ended up straightening up the slope by making it flat and also with two slight indentations where my hip joints rested.

I used an electric knife to do the cutting and a "shaper plane" to make the seat semi smooth and various grit sandpaper to get it smooth again.

You will find there is no need to remove the entire seat cover. Instead just remove the staples back to where it's past the area you are modifying. Just peel the cover back out of your way.

Lastly. Beg, borrow or steal a power/air stapler because unless you have very strong hands you will wish you had.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Garage
Nice pics and video Charlie. I was over that way again (Suches, GA) last April. There is some great riding all over that area for sure. However, I must say that WV impressed me even more with the nice roads......and no tourists. The roads were better and just as lonely as the ones we have over here. I'm glad Tim moved over there......he might see more of me than he cares to in the future.
Mike
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heya Mike,

I saw your posts on ADV. Looks like we should hold a rally in Tim's front yard, hmmmmmmm.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Garage
Wendy actually said something about having a gathering at their place. I told her to count me in.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode