• 1 Post By ATYC
  • 1 Post By ATYC
  • 2 Post By ATYC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dead KLR = Solo Ride to Manitoulin Island

After a few months of planning I was looking forward to a 5 day ride with my buddy, RT. This would be about 2,200kms trip up the Bruce peninsula to Manituolin Island, around Sudbury to Huntsville and ride around Algonquin Park and the Ontario Highlands. RT was going to put his KLR on the Park to Park Trail between Parry Sound and Algonquin.

Sunny weather and a good forecast and we were off to a great start!

Only about 30 minutes into our journey and I see RT falling back in my mirror, then pull off the road. I get turned around and find him in an empty school parking lot, shaking his head. The bike had made a shrill whine and stalled out. Basic checks showed nothing obvious, but a press of the starter sounded bad. Lots of electrical power, but just the sound of moving parts. No compression, no spark even trying to light the fire.

So, he gets on the phone with CAA for a tow, and the dealership for service, and I start forming Plan B. RT had pick up arranged and transportation home. I had a time sensitive reservation for the ferry in Tobermorry. Fist bump, and I headed off alone.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 12-27-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I made my way North along mostly familiiar routes, having covered this part of the trip before. I stopped to stretch my legs near the brewery in Neustadt.

After about 350 kms in what turned out to be one very hot and humid day, I pulled onto the ramp for the Chi Cheemaun ferry with about 1:45 to kill before the loading call. I went off to the Crow's Nest Restaurant for some lunch then walked a short distance around the marina to stop in at the Tobermorry Brewing Company. This craft brewer started only last year, and is owned and operated by some old friends - one of whom was working the bar when I stopped in. He kindly poured me a pint of Fathom Five porter which I enjoyed on the house while visiting and catching up.

Upon returning to the pier I spied this touring veteran parked behind my Versys:

The man riding this 1967 BMW R60 had owned the machine for 40 years. He was on his way from home in Ohio to visit Calgary Alberta, and I really got a kick out of talking to him for awhile.

Once we loaded onto the ferry, MCs had to be tied down for the 90 minute trip.

A view from the deck, leaving Tobermorry for Manitoulin Island:

The boat docked at South Baymouth just before 6pm. Two nice things: 1) MCs pay less for the ride than other vehicles. On many ferries I took in the US it was a one price fits all fare which seems odd. 2) They load the MCs so they are first on and first off, which makes total sense for getting out in front of traffic. The doors dropped, the signal came, and off I went for the short ride to Mindemoya Lake.

One more side road and I was at the camp of my Mother and Father In-Law where I'd spend the next 2 nights.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 08-30-2016 at 11:51 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the ride report with photos.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
the KLR's problem...

ATYC - from several years experience on a KLR650, somehow I'll bet that your friend had EITHER a failure of his "doohickey", or that his balancer-shaft chain 'died'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Day 2. As per the original Plan A, today was the day to ride all around and explore Manitoulin Island.

I've been coming up here with family on a regular basis for about 10 years, but never with a motorcycle, so I was really looking forward to today's ride. Perfect weather, warm and sunny with a cool lake breeze.

First I went South, through Mindemoya on Younge St heading to Government Rd. There I saw the first of what would become a very common notice: Loose Gravel. Many of the roads here are gravel, or turn to gravel, or are under maintenance and currently gravel, or just have a section of gravel that doesn't seem to make sense but there it is.

The Metzeler Tourance Next tires were brilliant in the loose gravel surfaces. I made my way North along Hwy 6, eventually getting to the Northern exit point of the Island, Little Current.

The marina at Little Current:

and the swing bridge which is the only way off the Island (other than by boat)

Lots of little roads all around the Island that are just cut right through the trees.

Following West along Hwy 540, I stopped to take in a view of the Bridal Veil Falls. Here I ran into the BMW hack rider again and talked briefly before he started out for his trip off the island and out West.

Through plenty more gravel on the far West leg of 540, I ended up in Meldrum Bay, which is as far West as you can go with out a boat.

At the "town" of Poplar, which is nothing more than a cross roads with houses on three corners and a hay field on the fourth, I noted this tiny monument to some Island residents who fought and died some hundred years ago in WW1.

And a monument of another sort:
unstable_rider likes this.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 08-30-2016 at 11:58 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
On to Providence Bay where I found a shady spot to park, locked up some of my gear, and took a stroll on the large boardwalk on the beach.

I ran into this FZ1 rider at a couple spots. He was touring with his daughter who looked to be about 8. We shared some stories about kids on the bikes and he was really interested in my hard case set up. As you can see, he was packing pretty light with no "spare" room.

Then I made my way around to the marina at South Baymouth. I had not taken to the time to look around yesterday, in my haste to get off the ferry and be ahead of the traffic jam.

My heavy leather jacket needed a break from the sun.

Back home to the camp, after 9 hours and about 360 kms of riding, for some BBQ, family visit, and off to sleep.
unstable_rider likes this.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 08-30-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Day 3. So now I'm on to Plan B. With RT's KLR out of commission and me flying solo, I decided to abandon Algonquin Park and the Highlands. I got the hotel reservation in Huntsville cancelled and headed out for the town of Wanup, South of Sudbury. My brother retired there from Ottawa 6 months ago, so it was time for a visit.

I got away about 9am and there was no rush to cover the 170 kms to Wanup. I headed for Little Current and waited about 10 minutes for the swing bridge to line up. This stretch of highway, headed for Espanola, is very scenic with much of it carved and blasted out of the rock which makes up the Cambrian Shield. I took advantage of riding alone and darted down several side roads, including Willisvile Road. This was a curvy, hilly gem of a road which opened up to a very scenic outlook, looking back out to Hwy 6.

I carried on into the town of Willisville which is comprised entirely of a handful of former mining company homes. The road became gravel and I figured, "What the hell, let's explore a little more..." I didn't get 100 feet before the road became a trail.

Looks as though this was once a rail road track that likely served part of the local mining operation. Now it was an off road trail and a narrow one at that. Too narrow to turn around on, so I continued. With caution.

Though it opened up to some pretty nice views, I soon came to realize I was probably nearing the limits of my bike's off road capability and I was certainly beyond the limit of MY off road capability. I found a spot to turn around, and I'm not going to lie - it was ugly and un-graceful, but I got turned around none the less. I head back off the trail, back onto Hwy 6 to the Trans Canada Highway and spent the rest of the day with my bro and his family.

Day 4 was just the trip home. After 3 beautiful days, I woke to a steady rain. The forecast held little promise. So, rain gear donned, I pulled away at 8:30 am and rode in the rain for a bout 3 hours to Barrie. I got some more rain in Angus, but it cleared before I rode a great stretch of road: Simcoe Road 9 heading West. I stopped about 4 hours into the ride at a picnic area to ditch the rain gear, get dry socks, and carried on picking my way home to London.

Plan B wasn't so bad.

Side note: RT's KLR is out of service till August. Parts on back order. Appears that he ran low on oil and blew the top end of the motor. Expensive lesson learned.
onewizard and Smiley like this.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 08-30-2016 at 12:06 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 AM

Nice write up! Sorry to hear about the KLR.. Your set up seems very practical!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
ATYC - GREAT pics and write-up!

Never did get onto the Island when I lived in the E, tho' I dived at Tobermory a few times....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Nice!

Took that ferry south last September. And camped in Tobbermory.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode