Rain, rain, go away... Dust 2 Dawson 2016 and OTHER adventures...! - Page 5 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 AM

Garage
Finally got caught up today and finished reading about your adventure. What a great story, and some amazing "on the road" pics too. Well done eddie!

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Glad you liked it, ATYC...!

I consider it to be MOTIVATION for you Easterners to get out W and see the 'hills'...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #83 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Glad you liked it, ATYC...!

I consider it to be MOTIVATION for you Easterners to get out W and see the 'hills'...!

Maybe not motivation, but certainly inspiration. As for seeing hills, the Colorado Rockies were great on last year's ride, and just a short trip from my place at 2,300 kms one way. To reach the Southernmost Alaska/BC border is almost 5,000 kms from my place!

As much as I like exploring Canada, I'm more likely to run into you in Arizona than BC!

Always trust your cape.

post #84 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Maybe not motivation, but certainly inspiration. As for seeing hills, the Colorado Rockies were great on last year's ride, and just a short trip from my place at 2,300 kms one way. To reach the Southernmost Alaska/BC border is almost 5,000 kms from my place!
One of the guys we met in Whitehorse, YK, & Chicken, AK, had ridden from QC on a wee-strom.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #85 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post

As much as I like exploring Canada, I'm more likely to run into you in Arizona than BC!
You're right, but don't forget - IF you ride out here it's a ONE-WAY ride, 'cause you'll STAY!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #86 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Somehow I missed another adventure when I wrote about riding from Cantwell to Sterling.

I was a bit S of WHERE-EVER Denali IS (and about 65 miles S of Cantwell). I saw a bicycle coming N, stopped on the other (W) shoulder, the rider waving (and it was raining, OF COURSE!). As I passed I saw he was holding up a water-bottle. I 'cleared' the road for traffic, then did a 180 and back to him. He appeared to be a Japanese fellow in need of water. I told him that all I had was on my back in my hydration pack, then let him drink some. He asked where the NEXT camp ground was, so I mentioned the Cantwell RV park, 65 miles N. He asked where he could get water. I told him to stop and use ANY water from a stream that's flowing.

Wonder how he made out...?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6205073.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	162061  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #87 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

EXCELLENT fuel mileage...!

Yesterday I rode along Okanagan Lake to Vernon, W on BC 97 to the turn-off for Fintry along the Westside Road, then down it to West Kelowna, and home, about 170 kms - just over 100 miles.

ALL those roads are quite twisty, and when I filled-up about 15 kms from home, my mileage worked out to 27 kms/L. THAT works out to 76 mpgImperial, or 61 mpgUS...! (Of course, that was W/OUT a tent, etc on the back.)

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #88 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:24 PM

Great stuff Fast Eddie. I really enjoyed the adventure and the photos. Best we could manage yesterday here in AZ is getting rained on 3 times going from Tucson, across Park Link and then back down the frontage road. One fellow rider that lives in midtown got soaked he said. Their area got 2.7 inches yesterday. AND, Phoenix had another haboob yesterday (dust storm, spelling?).

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #89 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Chain Lube / Off Topic

Quote:
Yesterday I rode along Okanagan Lake to Vernon, W on BC 97 to the turn-off for Fintry along the Westside Road, then down it to West Kelowna, and home, about 170 kms - just over 100 miles.

ALL those roads are quite twisty, and when I filled-up about 15 kms from home, my mileage worked out to 27 kms/L. THAT works out to 76 mpgImperial, or 61 mpgUS...! (Of course, that was W/OUT a tent, etc on the back.)

-
I am now getting slightly better mileage after removing the rear wheel. I found the seals had a very slight touch of grease in them and the brake pads were properly lubed in the front but dry in the back, manual calls for silicone grease. I also found the rubber boot that is to assist the return of the pads, pushed past the stop, like at some point the piston had been fully extended. Last to report, my chain is the root cause of some of my rear wheel drag, don't expect to get 30.000 out of this one. Mileage has improved to about 26 KM/ L. All greased up with high pressure high temp grease.

By the way Eddie, maybe you could work a deal where JD adds some stories to your awesome pictures, that way it would stretch the reading material a little further

Last edited by onewizard; 08-10-2016 at 06:36 PM.
post #90 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...[/B]By the way Eddie, maybe you could work a deal where JD adds some stories to your awesome pictures[/B], that way it would stretch the reading material a little further
Glen - old "jdrocks" DON'T work for 'scale', and as he takes some AWESOME PICS, hisself, I don't believe I can afford him....

BTW - are you INFERRIN' that MY stories are NO GOOD...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Just Saying

Quote:
Glen - old "jdrocks" DON'T work for 'scale', and as he takes some AWESOME PICS, hisself, I don't believe I can afford him....

BTW - are you INFERRIN' that MY stories are NO GOOD...?
I recall seeing this:"Dave writes a LOT like Stewart McLean!", which I sorta agree w/. Google him and see what YOU think...! And I agree spelled Stuart McLean according to Google.

Maybe JD could set up a story telling 101 thread, cause I don't want you to take it the wrong way, but you got a ways to go ---no hot babes in any of your stories, did notice in post 62 that you ran into other forms of entertainment: "what a bunch of retards"

Last edited by onewizard; 08-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.
post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

How many "rain-days"...?

I've been asked quite often just how MANY days of rain I had....

Just went thru the ride-report and came up w/ EITHER nine or ten (one day MIGHT have gone either way), but still it was a GREAT ride, and I highly recommend any of you thinking about going to a "D2D" to just DO IT!

-

(SOME days it surely seemed like EVERYDAY it had rained!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the story Eddie...................great read.
post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
I've been asked quite often just how MANY days of rain I had....

Just went thru the ride-report and came up w/ EITHER nine or ten (one day MIGHT have gone either way), but still it was a GREAT ride, and I highly recommend any of you thinking about going to a "D2D" to just DO IT!
For my ride (a few weeks later and a bit longer = BC / Yukon / AK / Alberta / MT / ID / WA / BC = 8,000 kms / 5,000 miles in 20 days) we had 17 wet days out of 20

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
For my ride (a few weeks later and a bit longer = BC / Yukon / AK / Alberta / MT / ID / WA / BC = 8,000 kms / 5,000 miles in 20 days) we had 17 wet days out of 20
LONGER in days, SHORTER in mileage... - mine was 8,730kms, 5,425 miles over ONLY 19 days...!

...and I went fishing...!
bigaussie likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

As all the pics in this thread were 'hosted' on Photobucket, and then disappeared - I'm in the process of re-adding the pics, via the "DRAG FILES HERE TO ATTACH!" 'Drag and Drop File Upload' line.

I did the FIRST couple of days, and I WILL get the rest done.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm "done" to the end of "Day 9, 19 June, in Cantwell, AK.

MORE tomorrow.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

NOW it's finished (AGAIN!)....

As of noon AZ time, 22 Feb '19, I have re-posted the pics from this ADVENTURE, unfortunately they're NOT in the 'body' of the writing as they were before, but - as you read - have a look down to the pics to orient yourself and your imagination to where I was.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode