Michigan to Florida - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Michigan to Florida

Back in July I rode the V to Michigan the long way, up thru Wisconsin, across the UP,then back down to Mi. Stored the V at my Dad's place. So now after another visit I'm headed back to Fl. It's funny how my Dad who is now 86 still doesn't like me riding motorcycles. He still grumbles but now we both laugh about it.

So I set off this morning at about 8:30. I stopped and got a picture in Montague where Dad lives. It's a little town of about 4000. They make weathervanes there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm staying in a hotel in Richmond, Indiana tonight. I have wanted to check out the twisties in West Virginia so I'm headed there tomorrow. Also would like to see the NewRiver Gorge bridge near Fayetteville, Wv. That's the bridge they close once a year so guys can base jump from it. It's just under 900 feet to the river below. Hope to stay near there tomorrow night.

Here is a link to my Spot track. My bride of 40 years likes me to use the Spot. She can keep track of me on her Iphone. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a long leash. But hey it makes the trips I take now and then more "OK" with her.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1CSdaHs9AbrCpz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM

I know your going to enjoy the ride back. New River Gorge is cool. The walk down to the bottom is easy, it was the walk back up that was a bear.
Coming back south is tough because the heat just gets baaadddd.
Have fun and hope to meet up soon.
Good pic btw.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Here's a few pictures I took today. The weather was just about perfect except for the 50 degrees starting out in Montague. Saw a gazillion acres of soybeans and corn in Indiana. They have already started to harvest. I try to use all backroads. I feel at home rolling thru farm country and the small farm towns. Probably because my early years were spent in a small farm town in Michigan.

This weird building is actually a concrete plant. Looked so different I had to turn around and get a pic.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi Thumper, how about if I just take a picture of the bottom of the gorge? Say from the bridge maybe? Then when we get together for a cold one you can tell me all about the climb? I know its gonna be hot as I work south. I try to roll out real early when its like that. Tomorrow should be nice tho. Only 55 in the AM.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pics. LONG trip!!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

On last picture taken at an old filling station. The car next to the Ford is a Buick with a "straight eight" engine. The one way down at the end is a Chevy Vega wagon. Not many of those around. Most of those got to the junkyards in a hurry.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rick, thanks. I'm gonna try to take it easy and not push at all.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Day two was good again weatherwise. Cut across SW Ohio on Rt73 mostly.
It took a couple hours. The last 40 miles or so the land got tobe more rolling and the roads followed the valleys. Twisties. I don't know what the deal is but I never did see any of them Buckeyes those Ohio State fans are always barking about. As a Michigan fan its been pretty tough the last couple years. I was glad to get into Kentucky.

Did about 60 or so miles of mostly winding roads in Kentucky then a short bit
of slab into West Virginia. I found highway 3 that runs from Huntington to Beckley and thats where the fun started. It was 3 hours of curves throuh some beautiful country.

As a bonus I found that I had stumbled on to Chuck Yeager's home town of Hamlin, WV. It's just a little town in the WV hills. They had named a portion of Hwy 3 the Chuck Yeager Hwy. Thats one of the things I like about backroad trips, always a few surprises. I'm thinkin NC ain't got nothing on WV when it comes to beautiful countryside and great roads.

A few pics I took in Ohio and Kentucky. WV pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by dwr302; 09-15-2010 at 09:22 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr302 View Post
Day two was good again weatherwise. Cut across SW Ohio on Rt73 mostly.
It took a couple hours. The last 40 miles or so the land got tobe more rolling and the roads followed the valleys. Twisties. I don't know what the deal is but I never did see any of them Buckeyes those Ohio State fans are always barking about. As a Michigan fan its been pretty tough the last couple years. I was glad to get into Kentucky.

Did about 60 or so miles of mostly winding roads in Kentucky then a short bit
of slab into West Virginia. I found highway 3 that runs from Huntington to Beckley and thats where the fun started. It was 3 hours of curves throuh some beautiful country.

As a bonus I found that I had stumbled on to Chuck Yeager's home town of Hamlin, WV. It's just a little town in the WV hills. They had named a portion of Hwy 3 the Chuck Yeager Hwy. Thats one of the things I like about backroad trips, always a few surprises. I'm thinkin NC ain't got nothing on WV when it comes to beautiful countryside and great roads.

A few pics I took in Ohio and Kentucky. WV pictures tomorrow.
Nice!! And a bit of Bear trivia for you, I was born in West Hamlin WV, which is just a few miles west (of course) of Hamlin.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share great pictures from a great trip. I always forget to stop and smell the roses once I get rolling. Good to see someone knows how to do it right.

'10 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'11 BMW S1000RR
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Great pic's and so nice you to still have your Pop around at his age. My dad passed away when I was 9. I found out many years later that he was into motorcycles and I have an old picture of him on his new 1947 Harley.

Donn
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Rick, amazing, guess I visited your old stomping grounds. Great area to ride.

TCA, thanks and its a small world. I graduated from Ludington High in '65.

Donn, I sure am fortunate to still be sharing time with my Dad. I get up there
when I can. He used to drive down and visit but can't anymore. And he won't fly.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Nice report and photos! Are these photos taken from your phone/camera? Are you using an iphone? One day I'm gonna learn how to do this with my iphone.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

It's just a small small digital camera I keep in the tank bag. I post with a laptop. I think you could do it all with an iphone. I don't have one. My wife does and they are amazing. I'm always behind on the tech stuff. I finally did learned how to text on my phone. My kids think that's funny.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I started the day in Fayetteville, WV. It was about 60 and overcast and looked like it might rain. Rode over the New River Gorge Bridge. The bridge and the gorge are awsome. There are stairs all the way to the bottom but the problem is you have to walk back up after you get down there. It is so far down that people base jump off the bridge! My excuse is that I wanted to be in Asheville,NC this afternoon so didn't have time. Thumper did it when he was there. Thumper, you da man! only one pic since it was so overcast.

It started to spit rain so I got on the slab and headed south into Virginia.
Took RT21 out of Wythville heading toward the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was
a great road down thru the valleys. A lot of the pastures were on steep hillsides. It was a beautiful area. Camera(automatic) seems to be on the fritz. Letting too much light in.

Last edited by dwr302; 09-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I got to the BRP around noon. The sun was out and it was blustry and bright.
The leaves are starting to turn and several times I rode thru a little blizard of small yellow leaves. Small twigs and branches littered the parkway in places. Had to be careful in the twisties in some spots. The parkway was mostly empty today. It can be busy at times. Today with no traffic it was hard to keep the speed down to the "recommended" 45MPH. I mostly didn't. the first picture is one of the many Parkway bridge overpasses.

For me it seems a couple hours on the BRP is enough. I Think that the country roads approaching the Parkway are a lot of fun too. Lots of interesting homes,farms and other stuff. Got off the BRP just south of Blowing Rock where road repairs are still going on. Got to Asheville about 4:30
That was enough for today.

Last edited by dwr302; 09-16-2010 at 09:14 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM

nice RR

looks like the weather is cooperating thus far, gotta love that
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Yes the weather has been pretty nice but got another early morning rain in Asheville, NC today. Had planned to take 215 south, a great twisty road but not healty in the rain so I jumped on I26 south for a few miles, then went SW and picked up 178 into Clemson, SC. 178 was a fun road but was the last of the twisties for this trip.

Took 441 south to Douglas, GA. Just before douglas I went by a roadside stand I had stopped by a couple years ago. Got some frog jam and my wife and I actually liked it. So I got a chance to pick up another jar. The stuff kinda grows on ya. I passed on the toejam tho. Should be home tomorrow afternoon.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Hey DW! If you pass a Black 2010 headed north with a Buell Blast set up for touring, that would be me tommorrow. I got the band to carry my Bass so my wife and I are riding up to Waycross, GA for a gig on saturday night. If you are somehow in town or get this message in time, let me know. I am on stage at the fairgrounds at 8:40pm.
If is not meant to be, then we will hook up for some curves soon.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode