Colorado 4 day - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Colorado 4 day

In 1941 the Germans and the Japanese collaborated to the world's detriment. This past week when two bmw’s, (Dakkar, 650 XChallenge), and two Kawasakis, (Versys, and KLR), Left Santa Fe, Nm for a 1000 +/- mile ride into central southern Colorado four New Mexico riders hoped for something more uplifting.

The general route taken is: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,11.315918&z=7

First day saw some tedious straight highways, with gravel mountain pass road over La Veta Pass. Sunny weather, and some nice twisties up along the Arkansas River to Salida, where we settled in for the night.

The next day saw us cross Cottonwood Pass, (paved on the east side, packed dirt on the west side), then past Taylor Reservoir, and some more good twisties along the Taylor River. 4 miles of gravel/dirt on the cut-off to Crested Butte, then rain squalls with intense wind gusts as we entered CB.

East side of Cottonwood Pass

Cottonwood Pass

West side of Cottonwood Pass

Cervezas for everyone and then up the canyon past Oh-Be-Joyful campground, and through the ‘river’ to our remote and gorgeous campsite.

camp – day 2

Day three saw a ride in mixed weather over Slumgullion pass and Spring Pass. Rest stop in Creede, and on to South Fork. I left the others in south Fork and continued my ride south.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM

Great Pictures

Thanks for posting the pictures, I love seeing them.
It looks like a epic ride to me, one I would love to do.
Thanks for posting the pictures. How did the V do on
the trip.

The V - little bike, Big Heart.
dmc51
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Great pictures ,thanks for sharing

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc51 View Post
How did the V do on
the trip.

The V - little bike, Big Heart.
dmc51
The Versys was great on the paved stretches. I'm not that experienced on the dirt, and I've still got the stock tires, so some of the off-road sections were attention getting to say the least. The hard pack roads were fine, but the gravel stretches were enervating, (like riding on marbles)! The other bikes were single cylinder thumpers and had better all around tires, so they generally led during those stretches. Even so the V crossed two streams that were about 1 ft. deep, and managed some very rocky, mogul-like sections of fire roads, as well as several stretches of up to 22 miles of unpaved surface. Overall, I'd have to say the Versys is a fantastic light tourer/all-around-bike!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode