6Likes
  • 5 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
riding a 'little' dirt, partnered by a Duc Multistrada

A neighbor has a Multistrada (as well as his BMW Dakar 650), so we headed out for a 'bit' of a ride yesterday, covering a total of 307 kms (190 miles). Our route took us along Lake Okanagan

then up to Vernon, thru town then W on BC 97 to Falkland, and the Falkland-Chase Road, paved,

then dirt,

then paved again, going past the Chase Creek Cattle Company ranch,

w/ some "interesting" displays either side of the gate.

Shortly after that ranch we transitioned onto gravel for the next 50 (or so...) kms to Salmon Arm where we planned lunch.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Skimiken dirt road turns paved, then connects to the T-Can Hwy, and another 12 kms to Salmon Arm where we parked, then to John's favorite cafe. I mis-read the menu on the chalk-board, ordered what I thought was a large bowl of soup, but got THIS

a HEALTHY salad that includes "tofu". It was good, but I probably would NOT have ordered it had I known....

From there we rode pavement

to the Salmon River Road (QUITE nice!!!), which I've written about before, so NO new pics.

GREAT ride, and when I filled-up, the GREEN HORNET TOO took 11.9L for 317 kms, which worked out to just OVER 75 mpgImperial, 60 mpgUS! I find I get quite a bit BETTER mileage on the '15 than I did on the '09 (or DO on the '08).

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-04-2016 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I was trying to figure out where the multistrada was, then I remembered the ugly strange (part fixed/part moves) fairing on the older ones.

Nice pics.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah I was going to say must be an old one mates of mine have Multis and they look nothing like that.

My V and Mark's Multistrada

Last edited by MaverickAus; 05-05-2016 at 05:24 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:09 PM

Garage
I am really pleased to see your success off the pavement. I am expecting to do the same kind of riding. A question I have is are you doing this on the OEM tires or are you using some others?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spectacular photos and amazing scenery once again. At first glance, in photo #2 it looks as if someone's travel trailer fell into the river. Surely not. And I agree completely - that is NOT soup.

My memory may be faulty, but I seem to remember the "cannon" from a previous year's trip story. Yes, no?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojacket View Post
I am really pleased to see your success off the pavement. I am expecting to do the same kind of riding. A question I have is are you doing this on the OEM tires or are you using some others?
There are several brands of adv. tour tires (tires designed for < 10% dirt road use and > 90% pavement use) that currently fit the Versys from Metzler, Avon and Pirelli. The only real issue is you trade off some grip on pavement compared to sport tour tires, for slightly better grip on dirt, at least when they are new and have sufficient tread depth.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojacket View Post
Front is the OEM Dunlop, while the rear is a Metzler Tourance that I took off the '09 when I installed NEW ones, just before leaving for D2D '15 last June. Just received a Shinko 705 150/70 x 17 that'll replace it... soon...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Spectacular photos and amazing scenery once again. At first glance, in photo #2 it looks as if someone's travel trailer fell into the river. Surely not....
Nope - there's a road/ parking down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...My memory may be faulty, but I seem to remember the "cannon" from a previous year's trip story. Yes, no?
RIGHT - give the man a kewpie doll!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:27 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice ride, I was in Vernon for the pepsi curling juniors in 92. I loved the area, we went to the far west factory, I went to silverstar snowboarding for a day, and just toured around between curling games. It was awesome area. I am not sure what Vernon is like now...last I heard that it was a haven for the BC drug bigwigs. Not sure if that's true or not.

Looks like you had a great time....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Nice ride, I was in Vernon for the pepsi curling juniors in 92. I loved the area, we went to the far west factory, I went to silverstar snowboarding for a day, and just toured around between curling games. It was awesome area. I am not sure what Vernon is like now...last I heard that it was a haven for the BC drug bigwigs. Not sure if that's true or not.

Looks like you had a great time....
Can't speak to the "BC drug bigwigs", but Far West went 'under' a couple of years ago, but GREAT riding in the WHOLE area!!!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 PM

Garage
Hi CoJacket

I posted a link to a long review of the new Avon TrailRiders at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1115562

I installed them last week and took them off road yesterday - video here at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1138570

Cheers

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people dont have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode