Cloudy Colorado day… - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cloudy Colorado day…

Woke up Sunday morning planning to ride…until I looked outside. Heavy overcast skies, rain in the forecast. My plans were shot or were they? After a good cup of coffee I decided what the heck I have rain gear so off I went.

My plan was to go up the Golden Gate Canyon out of Golden (west of Denver). Hwy 46 is the Golden Gate Canyon Road. Located North West of Golden off of Hwy 93. The lower part of the canyon is very twisty and tight. I love old dilapidated buildings and along the way there are several to be seen.

End of 46 and off to Rollinsville.

At Rollinsville I took the dirt road to the Moffat Tunnel. The tunnel was built for train traffic in the 1920’s under the Rocky Mountains.

Road to the tunnel.

Coal Train along the way.

The tunnel.

Got lucky and caught an Amtrak passenger train entering the tunnel.

After leaving the tunnel it started raining hard. I stopped in Nederland for lunch. The Black Forest Restaurant gets two thumbs up!!

Make sure you have room for the Apple Strudel – WOW some of the best I have ever had!

After lunch I road the Peak-to-Peak Hwy (Hwy 72).

At Hwy 7, I went west to Estes Park. Along Hwy 7 you will find the Church at Camp St. Malo.

A couple of shots of Meeker Peak.

By the time I got out of the mountains the sun was shining and it was warm. Glad I went for a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Looks awesome. We've been plagued with rain, rain, rain - every day for the last 60 days. I've heard a report that we've gotten more rain this year in Ontario that British Columbia.

Tip: Not sure what photo server you are using - but is there a way to select small pics to post? On Flickr - there is a feature called 'All Sizes'. If you click on that, there is a list of choices. I usually choose small - gives enough detail without taking over the screen. On the sample page of the photo size - links are provided to that photo to share on this web site.

No kidding - all we have around here are straight roads. Well, we have a few with curves but not many. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Very cool photos! Looks like you had a good day.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Ocean, I'll give that a try.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Hey Jerry!!

See my post back to you regarding Trail Ridge this weekend under the altitude thread.

Sent you a couple private emails. Let me know if you don't get those.

Bryan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM

My 2 sons and I are planning a ride in Colorado starting from the Springs going to Aspen and back to the Springs on 5-7 September. Of course this is a round about route taking in everything we can in the time we have. I hope the weather cooperates, but you never can tell in Colorado. I lived in Fairplay for 6 years and know how it can change quickly.

Thanks for the photos and your write up. It was quite enjoyable.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Big Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Looks awesome. We've been plagued with rain, rain, rain - every day for the last 60 days. I've heard a report that we've gotten more rain this year in Ontario that British Columbia.

Tip: Not sure what photo server you are using - but is there a way to select small pics to post? On Flickr - there is a feature called 'All Sizes'. If you click on that, there is a list of choices. I usually choose small - gives enough detail without taking over the screen. On the sample page of the photo size - links are provided to that photo to share on this web site.

No kidding - all we have around here are straight roads. Well, we have a few with curves but not many. Thanks for sharing.
I LIKE the big photos!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 PM

I dig big photos too...

AWESOME scenery you've got there. Em R ril mountains. Our Appalachians are so darn old they're shriveled up.

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode