First Big Trip on the V - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

2Likes
  • 2 Post By adam d

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Big Trip on the V

Hello everyone. I had spring break from college and I didn't feel like working, so I decided to take a trip on my shiny new Versys. I still had my temp tags from the dealer!

I had planned on starting Saturday the 19th of March, but decided to delay by a day for weather. I kept checking and checking and decided to leave on Sunday.

I left from Apex, NC around 10am and set off for Fancy Gap, VA to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was cold. Really cold... I ended up having to stop and buy some heavier gloves. I was committed, though!!!

After hitting Fancy Gap and grabbing lunch, I started down the BRP toward Boone, NC, where my first hotel was already booked (NO TENTS FOR ME - TOO COLD).

I had to stop every 30 minutes or so to get off and warm up. It gave me time to enjoy the scenery and just relax. I was riding solo and had no one to tell me to hurry along.

About 1 hour away from Boone, it started to rain a bit, then actually started to snow. The roads were wet, but nothing accumulated.

After spending the night in Boone, I headed back to the BRP to make my way to Asheville. When I hit highway 80, the BRP was closed. I decided to re-route and go west. A last minute Google search revealed I wasn't that far from the Dragon's Tail, so I plotted a course and made a new hotel reservation.

After getting to Asheville and stopping for lunch, I decided to go through Cherokee, NC and use hwy 441 to get to Lenoir City, TN for my hotel. I didn't have any IDEA what I was getting into.

For those of you who don't know, hwy 441 goes straight through the Smokey Mountain National Park. Twisties, views, and snow where all around. Traffic was light and I had a blast.

Unfortunately, I was trying to make Lenoir City before nightfall, and didn't get to stop for too many pictures. If I'd have known where I was going, I would've made different plans.

I wasn't comfortable leaving my bike out that night because of the neighborhood I was in:

The next morning, I rolled down hwy 129. There was hardly anyone there, and I got to really enjoy the Dragon's Tail. It was awesome.

After the Tail, I made way for home and didn't stop for anything but gas and food. 902.6 miles, round-trip.

This was such an amazing trip. I had so much fun, and really connected with Lucy (yes, I named her during the trip).

I plan on doing the same route with four days during the warmer season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	86370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	86378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	86386  
weljo2001 and ATYC like this.

Last edited by adam d; 04-04-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:29 AM

Location: Normally Devon, England. From 18 Feb to 2 May 16, near Reston VA
Great report, great pics, nice adventure. Thanks

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Top report

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing, & keep posting pics & reports (don't get too dismayed at the lack of replies, this site is full of lurkers!!!)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM

Garage
Fantastic trip! Lucy in the room with you lol...Love it! The Gen 2 rules!!

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 AM

Nice Write up! I know the area well (daughter is at App state) and regularly camp the Blue ridge Parkway. If you want a riding Partner let me know! (I'm in Greensboro)
Another great Area is around Little Switzerland!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Ironic how empty the deals gap area was. In about a month you will have a real hard time finding parking spot. I'm trying to make it back down that way this spring. I'd like to make a stop at the Wheels through time museum on the way. Were there any Slayer129 camera guys out on the road? If so you may have some action shots on their website (for purchase of course).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a blast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 AM

Garage
Great trip. I had the chance to enjoy some of that area on a trip South in 2012. You're very lucky to live relatively close to some amazing roads.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode