A Versys Ride to Alaska and Back! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Versys Ride to Alaska and Back!

My wife and I just completed the motorcycle adventure ride of our lives, from Iowa to Alaska and back. She was on a Kawasaki Versys and I on a Suzuki V-Strom.

We camped out 80% of the time, made the Dust to Dawson event, me to Prudhoe Bay, the Kenai Penninsula, the Cassiar, and numerous other places. Met many of you fellow Adventure Riders on our trip. Put over 10,000 miles on each bike.

We created a blog for our family and friends to keep up with us. If interested, take a look at http://2wheel-adventure.blogspot.com/ . Like a typical blog, you'll need to read it from bottom to top to keep it chronologic.

Happy to answer any questions that would make other's Alaska trip easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Wow, that is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Great ride, Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 AM

Seems like you had an adventure. Last pic on day 30 is funny and the pic with the "warnings" (day 22) is hilarious. Looks like your wife's Versys has a lowering kit installed and a modified seat? Did either of the bike break down? It also looks like you swapped bikes often? Any thoughts on the comparison?

I wish to make the same trip again but not until I am extremely comfortable and confident on the V and not until I know enough of bikes to be able to do small fixes myself. How long was the round trip (kms)?

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 AM

That's a pretty cool story. I liked the fact that they took lots of neat pictures. We have relatives that live in Wasilla. Even they complain how expensive its getting to be up there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

The Versys does have a Speedy's lowering kit and a gel insert in the driver's seat. This bike preformed perfect and only required one chain adjustment and now has over 23,000 miles on the bike.

The Suzuki did have both forks loose their oil; parts on order for a rebuild. Plus the driveline developed a bad vibration in the 3,000 to 3,500 rpm range. Have been told this can be the clutch basket or the rear hub dampners. Have not checked it out yet. Two chain adjustments. Both bikes got oil changes during the ride as well.

The Versys and V Strom are two different bikes but accomplished the same goal easily. V Strom is a v-twin 1000cc and weighs roughly 100 lbs more than the inline twin 650cc Versys. Rides were chosen to fit the rider's height/comfort requirements. Versys does vibrate more but then the engine spins about 1500 more rpm at highway speeds.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 AM

What a GREAT trip! Thanks for sharing!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
My wife and I just completed the motorcycle adventure ride of our lives, from Iowa to Alaska and back. She was on a Kawasaki Versys and I on a Suzuki V-Strom.

We camped out 80% of the time, made the Dust to Dawson event, me to Prudhoe Bay, the Kenai Penninsula, the Cassiar, and numerous other places. Met many of you fellow Adventure Riders on our trip. Put over 10,000 miles on each bike.

We created a blog for our family and friends to keep up with us. If interested, take a look at http://2wheel-adventure.blogspot.com/ . Like a typical blog, you'll need to read it from bottom to top to keep it chronologic.

Happy to answer any questions that would make other's Alaska trip easier.
Great pics, I will read it later, that is too long for me to read now. I do have a few questions:
Tires? and how did they perform? How tall are you anyway!? Where did you find a gem of a wife that would ride motorcycles like that!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link!! Great pics! I'll be reading for days.....

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Garage
I read the whole report last weekend when your wife posted the link.

I dream of doing something like that one day.

My wife and I did 18,000 kms / 12,000 miles through the outback of Australia in 2005 in a 4x4 & tent trailer. I often relive those 4 months on the road.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in