7Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Riding to 4 PEAKS, again....

Near as I can figure - there's THREE ways to spell 'gnarly', and the MORE capital letters, the MORE the gnarly...! So there's 'gnarly', 'Gnarly', and GNARLY.

Yesterday I hooked up again w/ Paul, a fellow I met up in northern BC and rode thru the Yukon w/, including the Dempster Hwy, as well as some dirt a week or two back.

Our plan was to meet where the Bush Hwy intersects w/ AZ 87 as I live S of there, Paul N and W.

Took a few pics enroute

and that's the 4 Peaks in the background.

I parked BIG RED, cleaned my visor of bug-guts, had a drink of water

and Paul arrived 6 minutes later.

The turn-off to FR 143 is 4.7 miles back up 87, and soon we were there, MANY quads and side-by-sides in the parking lot, so I had visions of much dust, much scary moments w/ quads at high-speeds on the wrong side of the roads, but soon we were into the climb, the road passing from 'gnarly' towards 'Gnarly', lots of loose sand and rocks from the recent pass by a grader. As the road climbed, twisted, VERY large outcroppings of rock everywhere, both of us standing on the 'pegs - it downgraded to GNARLY...!

It was challenging enough that I wasn't able to stop for pics, fearing either dropping my bike or being unable to get underway again, and in a PARTICULARLY GNARLY uphill to a climbing hairpin right, DEEP loose stuff making it treacherous, we saw (and passed) 3 ATVs at the side, one w/ a broken front suspension piece, one wheel pointed left, the other straight ahead.

We were by OK, and in a few more minutes passed the grader, parked off to the side (Thank God!), and no more of the really loose stuff!

Even tho' it was still 'gnarly', at least NOW it was FUN again...! A few more miles to a higher spot where, again, 4 Peaks came into view.

The road snaked thru the dips and hollows, climbing ahead, ultimately turning E (our left), to climb to the 4 Peaks Saddle where you cross N of the Peaks, a small piece of that road visible at the extreme left of the pic, just below the ridge-line's top, a bit more of it right-to-left above the first lateral ridge-line, inline and below 4 Peaks.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-25-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I stopped for a pic back W to the great-looking panorama...

then continued, Paul in the lead

the trail becoming 'Gnarly', and then 'GNARLY' again, large rock outcroppings everywhere (but at least very little loose sand!), as I saw Paul stopped ahead to the side.

I asked why, and he pointed out that a pickup truck was ahead, going UP, Paul figuring to wait till it'd got up. I told him that I was OK to lead, use my horn to get the driver's attention, then pass him, continuing rather than waiting. Also that we'd stop for lunch at the top....

Up on the 'pegs again (basically - ALL the time for the WHOLE ride up!), catching the truck. I flashed the hi-beams, then rattled the horn a bit, the truck stopping towards the right as we passed, continuing up.

THAT stretch was (again...) GNARLY enough that I didn't even THINK about stopping for a pic until we got to the "Saddle" for another panorama pic

and our lunch spot.

Despite passing the truck only a few minutes earlier, we had eaten, chatted, then started to get ready to continue BEFORE the pickup got to us!

From the Saddle the trail mostly headed N, then back S for this view of the snowy eastern slope of the Peaks, the trail NOW almost a road....

Pretty soon the road was pointing E, descending towards Roosevelt Lake, thousands of feet below our position.

I got ahead, into position for a "hero" pic as Paul 'hove' into view

There was a LOT more 'down', Paul leading

and pretty soon we were at the bottom, joining to AZ 188, but time for a pee, drink some water, remove some "warm" gear, then headed N on 188, planning to stop at a motorcycle-wrecker near Rye, just S of Payson.

I'd been there twice previously, but when we got there it was marked CLOSED, tarps covering the fences so that there was no way to view the place. Paul and I made plans to tentatively 'do' another ride, this where he lives, near Jerome and Sedona, in a few weeks.

He headed N, I headed S down AZ 87

the hills COVERED in green...! My route took me back the way I'd come, just before 'rush-hour' (!!!), and I arrived home after 6.75 hours and 197 miles, about 40 of them dirt and 30 of THOSE "GNARLY"....

All-in-all... a pretty GOOD day!

-
weljo2001, chid, 1stversys and 1 others like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-25-2016 at 01:27 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Great looking place to ride.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
66mph MAX???? I thought you were FastEddie?????....

That terrain looks very much like it does around Vegas, & l used to love doing the GNARLY gravel on my DRZ400.

I've been to Payson & Strawberry several years back, & if you haven't already been, you're in for a treat in the Sedona area.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
66mph MAX???? I thought you were FastEddie?????....

That terrain looks very much like it does around Vegas, & l used to love doing the GNARLY gravel on my DRZ400.

I've been to Payson & Strawberry several years back, & if you haven't already been, you're in for a treat in the Sedona area.
Yup, "been there, done that" several times, but STILL looking forward to riding there w/ Paul.

Got the pic that Paul took where I took the "hero" pic of HIM, and here's...ME...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
66mph MAX???? I thought you were FastEddie?????........
By the way - since my GPS carries the highest speed reached, and MIGHT be evidence IF viewed by an L.E.O., SOMETIMES I 'delete' it IF it's over the local speed limit, so I MIGHT have done the 'delete' thing, but I can't remember...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
By the way - since my GPS carries the highest speed reached, and MIGHT be evidence IF viewed by an L.E.O., SOMETIMES I 'delete' it IF it's over the local speed limit, so I MIGHT have done the 'delete' thing, but I can't remember...!

It doesn't matter to me if your max speed was 30mph Eddie, you're living the dream & living it on 2 wheels, & that's all that counts!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
It doesn't matter to me if your max speed was 30mph Eddie, you're living the dream & living it on 2 wheels, & that's all that counts!!!
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode