My Spontaneous Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My Spontaneous Ride

For a start have not been able to ride much due to a very cold/wet winter. The last two weeks have not felt that well and have had to do extra night shifts at work so have been a bit cranky lately. Got up around 1.30pm sunday after sleeping from night shift, it was a very warm for this time of year 17 celicius with brilliant warm north winds, blue skys and I got 4 days off, had a quick lunch and asked the wife if she wanted to take her bike for a ride but she had other plans so took off on my own.

15 min north of where I live

Thought I would head to lake Tekapo which is 100km NW from where I live at Timaru. The photo below is mountain side of Farlie which has a high wind warning and the weather was changing. Have been reading and getting inspired by books of people riding through different country's and thought to turn around is not the adventure spirit even though I had taken off from home with no rain suit or any extras but had to think what would the great southlander Burt Munro do "bugger it lets box on" Usually when if you go over burkes pass which is 25 km south of Tekapo and weather is crap one side it can be sunny on other side but not the case today.

Tekapo looks really great on a fine day and is one of the three large glacial lakes in the basin that have canals connecting them to the hydo power stations.

To add to the aventure the fuel light was flashing before Tekapo so went and fueled up, the lady at the gas station thought i was very keen to be here with strong winds/rain etc then after talking to her found out her and her hubby ride harleys and their son lives in Texas and we be going over there to do more riding. Took a couple of qick pic's and did a 180 and headed back home, Tekapo is only 100km from home, got 40 km down road at a place called Farlie and stopped and took the next pic looking back from where i had been but the sun was back out so did my first detour getting to home and went left to Geraldine which is a great twisty ride.

The photo below is just taken 180 from the one above

Looing back to where had just rode from previous pic's at Farlie

Small cafe in middle of nowhere between Farlie an Geraldine and some great twisty roads to go with it.

My 2nd detour decision turn right and go home about 25 km or straight on, now this was about 5pm and it gets dark at 6pm and I had not told my wife how long I would be, will just say i got held up by the wind, straight ahead it was.

Rode from there to my favorite cafe/bar the chequered flag at Rangitata on state highway 1 and run into friend of mine and his wife and so she txt my wife where I was, so I was busted. Please forgive my eyes as I always blink with my camera flash. Finally thought better go home as it was now dark.

Got a telling off when I got home because both my son and wife were worried as i had not txt at all and it was dark, So much for the Burt Munro spirit LOL

Had one final drama on way home, have a nice long straight length of backroad close to my house so decided in the dark to wind the bike up but had this gut feeling about rabbits running across road, at 185m/hr front wheel ran over a rabbit but did not mention that to my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice litltle ride report!

It makes me want to go back to NZ. We were there about 3 years ago, but before I was street riding so seen everthing from a car.

It's one of our all time favorite trips and have talked about going back some day and renting a bike to see more of the South island.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

David, if you ever to come back let me know and would be keen for a ride. A bike is the only way to see the south island, Riding up the crown range just out of Queenstown is one of my favorite, the signs say 15km/hr (be about 9 miles hr) around a quite a few bends so the V eats it up and leaves the cars well behind as well as the cruisers.
Phil

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Awesome picture of beautiful New Zealand. Hope to ride one day with you.
Thanks for sharing the ride with us and what happen to the rabbit.

buddy.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the fellas, beautiful place you live Phil!! Love to ride there some day. It feels good to get on the bike after some time away, huh!

By the way, you closed your eyes in that last pic...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Had one final drama on way home, have a nice long straight length of backroad close to my house so decided in the dark to wind the bike up but had this gut feeling about rabbits running across road, at 185m/hr front wheel ran over a rabbit but did not mention that to my wife.
Very beautiflul country, I'm thinking you must have been going 185 km/hr, not m/hr (mph).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
David, if you ever to come back let me know and would be keen for a ride. A bike is the only way to see the south island, Riding up the crown range just out of Queenstown is one of my favorite, the signs say 15km/hr (be about 9 miles hr) around a quite a few bends so the V eats it up and leaves the cars well behind as well as the cruisers.
Phil
Phil - Thanks for the offer

If we get back down there to ride, I will definitely let you know we are coming.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
Very beautiflul country, I'm thinking you must have been going 185 km/hr, not m/hr (mph).
He is on the faster red model, so sounds about right.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Awesome picture of beautiful New Zealand. Hope to ride one day with you.
Thanks for sharing the ride with us and what happen to the rabbit.

buddy.
Not sure about rabbit but a hit at 185km/hr, hmm probably not a happy camper, road kill I guess.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I agree with the fellas, beautiful place you live Phil!! Love to ride there some day. It feels good to get on the bike after some time away, huh!

By the way, you closed your eyes in that last pic...

For some reason I blink at the same time my camera flash's, my wife once tried to take a photo of me in a resturant, of a dozen shots and every one looking more goofy as I tried to force my eyes open we gave up, we were nearly told off due to fact we were laughing so hard. Okay i out of closet guys I have a camera problem so will write into DR Phil for help.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post

Probably why his eyes are closed...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
For some reason I blink at the same time my camera flash's, my wife once tried to take a photo of me in a resturant, of a dozen shots and every one looking more goofy as I tried to force my eyes open we gave up, we were nearly told off due to fact we were laughing so hard. Okay i out of closet guys I have a camera problem so will write into DR Phil for help.

Ah, it's ok. Many people blink when the flash goes off.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Ah, it's ok. Many people blink when the flash goes off.

That true but I do it 99% of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode