2300 mile trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2300 mile trip

Ride Report. EDITED

Just finished a 2300mile trip on the V. Some buddies and I decided to go to Reno/Tahoe to visit a cousin of mine and do some riding. I thought for sure I was going to come back with tales of mediocrity and disappointment about the Versys, but to be honest, I am completely impressed.
The ride did not start out well. We left Seattle and went over Stevens pass which is always as nice ride. We then headed south on Blewett Pass toward Ellensburg. That is where the trip just about ended for all of us. I had to pull over to fix some ear buds. My buddies noticing that I was no longer there pulled to the side of the road. As I was approaching at freeway speed, I signaled them to go on. One started pulling out slowly forward, and the other for whatever reason, pulled out broadside without even looking back. He literally pulled out right in front of me. There was absolutely nothing I could do. I swerved into oncoming traffic missing him by less than an inch. I was also lucky that the oncoming driver swerved out of the way and I missed him by a foot. I thought I was dead. No joke.
Once we were in Ellensburg, we decided to take the Canyon road which is a beautiful scenic highway. I led the group from the stop sign. My other buddy who was behind, sped off after me giving the local Sheriff a high speed driving display. The Sheriff was less than impressed. $124.00 later we continued our trip.
Our first stop was in Bend, Oregon. We called it Crematoria after the Chronicles Riddick because it was so hot. Once we left Bend I noticed that I had lost a set screw in one of my Rivco highway pegs. It still worked, but it was angled back a little.
Soon after that we were in the middle of nowhere several miles south of Crater Lake. I found it necessary to relieve myself next to a roadside sand pile (used for sanding roads in winter.) I doffed my gloves, glasses, and helmet. I completed my business and jumped back on the bike. Ever have that feeling that something is just not right? When I pulled out on the highway, I had that feeling. I thought something fell off my bike. I had only traveled 200ft when I knew it was my sunglasses that were left on my tank bag. I immediately slowed down and whipped around only to be horrified that my buddy, 2 cars, and an F’ng Motorhome had all smashed my glasses into nothingness.
We had put several hours on the bikes and since the Versys has a bad seat and we had been riding so long, I stood up on the right pegs to stretch my left leg. That is when the Right foot peg broke at 60 miles an hours. After loading my britches for the 2nd time in 2 days, I managed to the get the bike stopped. When I put my lowering kit on, I over tightened the bolts. I already broke the left peg, and replaced it. I did loosen right bolt, but guess the damage had been done. Weljo2001 was kind enough to sell me some pegs when I broke the left, so I had the girlfriend overnight me the spare right to Reno. We flipped the bracket over and I rode to Reno on the little nub.
As we were approaching Reno, the buddy who tried to kill me motions me over. My beautiful BMW Motorrad river bag strap had come lose and my tire wore a hole in the slumped over bag by the time we noticed. It’s only money right?
Tahoe was absolutely beautiful! We rode up the Mt. Rose highway and rode around the lake. My Cousin has a new CBR 1000 and took us to Ebbetts Pass (The most dangerous road I have ever been on.) which is nothing but 30 miles of 90 degree corners and undulations. This is the point where I really began to respect the Versys. He told me every time he would look back thinking he had lost me, I was all over his ass like a hobo on a ham sandwich. I was amazed how well the V did in the twisties. After a few days of Reno/Tahoe we headed for the coast to ride home up highway 101. We left Weaverville, CA heading for Arcata and were met with miles of Killer roads full of 90 corners. And while the pass name escapes me, I do remember redlining the Versys, letting off for the corner and redlining to the next. It was like being on a track. Awesome stuff!
The trip ended with a beautiful ride up highway 101 through the Redwood forest.
Looking back I have to say that I was really impressed at how the V performed. I will need to change the seat. I also think that I will change out the sprockets and gear it higher for the next trip. I found my highway pegs on the crash bars were little more than a stretching point as I could not keep my legs up too long due to ass pressure on the seat. I loved my Audiovox Cruise Control too.
Other than that, I don’t think there is a better bang for the buck out there.
Please excuse me now as it appears that I left my wallet at a gas station 3 F’ing hours from my house!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	7728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0019.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	7729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	7730  

Last edited by flienlow; 08-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

more from Tahoe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	7731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0026.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	7732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0027.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	7733  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great report and with all your drama's you will never forget that trip, The V is awsome in those tight twisties for sure.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Oregon Coast and Redwood Forest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	7734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0036.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	7735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	7736  

Last edited by flienlow; 07-31-2010 at 11:36 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM

You will learn with every trip you take and your preparation will get better and better if you absorb those lessons. The prep is half of the trip and half of the fun and anticipation for me. If you look at it that way, It's all good. I just returned from a 2,700 mile trip from The Seattle area to Yellowstone, Glacier Park and the Grand Tetons. It was awesome and trouble free except that I underestimated the wear on my rear tire and a bike admirer pointed out to me at the summit house at Glacier Park that the cord was showing. I babied it to Kalispel, MT and had it replaced and continued the rest of the way, trouble free. Things do happen though. The ignition went out on my brother's Buell Ulysses on day 2 of the 8 day trip and his wife had to drive his F-100 400 miles to collect him and his bike. The trip was over for him but the remaining 3 of us had a great time. Note: we had a couple of meetings before the trip to go over safety and group riding rules and what out procedure would be if we got separated. Stop, make cell phone call, leave message with time and location, wait for the rest of the group to notice we're separated and they stop and check their phone messages and then regroup. That happened once, costing us an hour and a half of an 8 day trip. Not too bad. All in all a great trip.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 AM

Sounds like a fun trip, even with the mishaps. We hope to make it out there one day ourselves on a bike to see the west coast area.

As they say, the only difference between an ordeal & an adventure is attitude.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad you enjoyed your ride and the V.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

You sir, are a walking adventure!!! I love the report! Funny stuff, and drama too! Great pics. And the ending tops it off, leaving your wallet behind. Don't know if it was true, or just added to spice up the story, but no matter, you still get two thumbs WAY up!!!

Great stuff!

(remind me NOT to join you for a ride, though... j/k!)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

No...it's true. On our way back up to Seattle on I-5 there was a nasty wreck in Centralia. We were about 5 miles south. It was hot, we were tired and and decided to fill up our tanks since we were stopped at an off ramp. I was ANAL the entire trip as to not loose my wallet, but during the fill up a local was telling me how to go around the wreck. Centralia is a tiny town and it took us an hour to get out of it. In my haste to get my partner, I completely left my wallet on the pump. The good news is, girlfirends grandparents live in Centralia wallet with all the cash will be here today~!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM

So glad you didn't get hit, that is scary stuff. I know it's easy for me to say since I wasn't there, but I hope if it happens to you (or me),hope you will lay the bike down, or take a ditch, anything but head on with a cage!

I have to put in my two cents on the wallet issue. I nearly lost my wallet so many times before I went with the "bikers wallet" on a chain. I'll endure the Hell's angels and Redneck jokes to save the OMG where did I lose my wallet feeling! Twice I have started out from a fill up, only to look down and see my wallet swinging on the chain!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

@Element-

That incident happened so quickly it was all reaction vs. thought. I was completely dumb founded that he pulled out. AND RIGHT in front of me too!

I may have to go Jessie James with the wallet too. Good idea.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Good read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode