4Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Riding w/ a D2D 2015 buddy!

If you've read my thread about riding to Dawson last June, you should remember that I 'hooked-up' w/ two BMW riders on BC 37 around Dease Lake, Paul and Pete, then we three rode together till I turned back on the 23rd of June in Dawson, due to damage from a crash 'high' in the North West Territories.

Paul spends his winters in AZ also, tho' a bit N of my place, near Jerome, and he contacted me a week back to get together for a ride. He arrived here Thursday morning, and I'd planned riding E along the Florence-Kelvin Hwy, then S to the Aravaipa Canyon Rd and E on it to the end.

Enroute I stopped to show him a rare "crowned" (or "crested") saguaro cactus.

There's an old adobe shack at the E end of the F-K, and again stopped for a photo-op.

Despite my plans for us to ride from Dudleyville W via the Freeman and Barkerville Roads, we rode several miles past Dudleyville, then turned E onto the Aravaipa Canyon Rd (apparently 'stone-killer' Tom Horn used to own a ranch along this canyon), and we soon arrived at the end - time for lunch!

Riding back we kept "an eye out" for something Paul had seen while riding E..., and FOUND it - a statue of an Indian rider

behind a gate that TOO had some artistic renderings

The place had a FOR SALE sign on it if any of you are interested.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

From there we rode till back onto AZ 77, then turned N the few miles to Dudleyville, then headed W across the San Pedro River

which AIN'T much of a river this time of year compared w/ some other rivers around the USA....

Paul led W thru the Freeman Rd section (40 or 50 miles, I believe), then I led us N onto the Barkerville Rd where I showed him another 'lunch-stop' I've used before.

Soon we were back at my place for a few beers before dinner,

then a good rest after our 177 mile day, probably half dirt-road. Planned for tomorrow was the Apache Trail, lunch off AZ 288, then Paul heading N, me heading E and S.
MrKneeDropper likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

After a GRAND breakfast the next morning, Paul and I 'saddled-up', headed mostly N to AZ 88 - the Apache Trail - and a stop at Tortilla Flats to inspect the walls of the diner, a VERY large snake-skin on the wall (Python...?)

That day our lunch-stop was high above Apache Lake at a trail-head, the name of which escapes me.

Paul stopped at the Roosevelt Dam for a pic...

so I rode a few feet further and took this one...

From there we hit pavement, turned S along AZ 188 for a dozen miles, then E onto AZ 288 to a "mini-Grand-Canyon" I've visited before (camped there a year ago on my TRY at riding the AZBDR w/ jdrocks).

Here's a telephoto of the 'Rainbow bridge' across from us,

and the back-side of the Four Peaks mountain w/ snow!

A gratuitous pic of Paul and me, and our rides.

Paul mentioned that he'd seen another crowned saguaro on the ride up 288, so we watched for it going down...

From there we rode a few miles to AZ 188 where he turned N towards Payson and home, while I went S, home via Globe, Superior, and AZ 79.

Today had added 200 miles to the 177 from the day before - lovely scenery, but not nearly as much fun as the dirt had been...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-02-2016 at 02:41 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Great report Eddie
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Garage
nice!

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 02:42 AM

Garage
Awesome eddie! Thanks for the post, so nice to read these in the Winter.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Great report Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Awesome eddie! Thanks for the post, so nice to read these in the Winter.
Thanks for the good words, Guys, but I have an observation: yesterday someone gave the thread 5 stars, and today it has ONLY 2, so there's SOMEONE out there who REALLY doesn't like it...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Thanks for the good words, Guys, but I have an observation: yesterday someone gave the thread 5 stars, and today it has ONLY 2, so there's SOMEONE out there who REALLY doesn't like it...!

Likes Stars / Facebook WTH -=--OK I didn't know---So Now I voted, reminds me of the kids in public school getting stickers---just saying
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Behind the times/ getting educated

Well after 7 years on this forum, at least now I know what those stars mean and how they got there, from what I can tell, the number of posts and the rating of each are factored in---having said that I have no idea how the off topic discussion got to 5 stars--naw I must be wrong with the averaging factor.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Garage
Stars? What stars? Do you really write these reports to get stars?

P.S. I had a look found the star thing and gave you 5, hope that helps.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, something about that route sounds familiar. Oh yeah, now I remember! That was the loop Ed proposed he take me on when I told him I would like to come to Florence and he could show me a couple tips about riding my V on gravel for the first time. I had in mind about 5 miles of dirt road; he had in mind about 177 miles with at least 50 of that being dirt. As I said when he proposed that to me - Now I know why they call you Fast Eddie!!! Great write up Ed, hope to see you for lunch again before you head to B.C.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 AM

Garage
stars? we don't need no stinkin' stars...

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice.

Very nice.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...reminds me of the kids in public school getting stickers---just saying
- nope, but my observation was brought on by the original "5 stars" going down to so low, so fast!

Quote:
...Do you really write these reports to get stars?...
See my answer to 'onewizard'....

Quote:
...P.S. I had a look found the star thing and gave you 5, hope that helps.
Thanks - NOT necessary. My comment was because of how quickly the 5 became a 2 - I must have "ruffled" someone's feathers... wonder WHO...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Wow, something about that route sounds familiar. Oh yeah, now I remember! That was the loop Ed proposed he take me on when I told him I would like to come to Florence and he could show me a couple tips about riding my V on gravel for the first time. I had in mind about 5 miles of dirt road; he had in mind about 177 miles with at least 50 of that being dirt. As I said when he proposed that to me - Now I know why they call you Fast Eddie!!! Great write up Ed, hope to see you for lunch again before you head to B.C.
Chuck - you coulda done it...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode