Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Fit question for sw-motech alu-rack top rack

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Vitesse 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!

I think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but the sw-motech alu-rack top rack I ordered for my Versys doesn't seem to fit. The problem is that the holes in the rack rails don't fit around the mount posts the way that the grab bars do, and this means that my trim pieces won't fit back on.

The part number on my packaging matches the part number on Twisted Throttle's website, but this just can't be right. I'm hoping that they just got the rack packed with the wrong part number.

I know other people have this rack; when you installed it, did the holes fit around the posts like I think they're supposed to?

#2 ·
I purchased one about two months ago and it fit perfectly. Once I removed the seat and grab bars I installed the new grab bars and plate. All fit the same as I removed and the plastic pieces fit the same. Hope that you can get this straightened out because it truly is a great rack:thumb:

#6 ·
...The problem is that the holes in the rack rails don't fit around the mount posts the way that the grab bars do, and this means that my trim pieces won't fit back on.
My experience was the same as Alberta Jeff's; everythng went together with no issues. I can't remember if the SW rails went around the posts or on top of the posts. I can check tonight when I get home. I think those "posts" are actually spacers that can come out (not sure).

Here's a picture I happen to have online. Does this look like your setup?

I think only the bolt goes through the rail, not the spacer/post. I remember that I had to fiddle a bit to get the right combination of bolts and washers, etc. But I was also installing the side case brackets at the same time.

-Alan

#9 ·
It looks exactly the same part as the one Kawasaki sells (not surprising, it's the same supplier). If you got the one for the Ninja, it wont fit. If you got the one for the Versys (GPT.08.391.100/B_TWT rev01) it will fit. They look similar, but are not the same.

I'd leave the spacers in place, that's what's giving some rigidity top ten installation. Without them, you are compressing the rubber grommets completely to get a solid mount.

Gustavo

#13 · (Edited)
Mine bolted right up like the instructions indicated. I have never had a problem with any SWM product and their fit and finish can NOT be beat. I dont know what you mean though when you say "did the holes fit around the posts like I think they're supposed to?". Around what post? I removed the one body colored panel and bolted everthing up then put the panel back on. Here are some pics of mine with the seat off.

#14 ·
Here's what mine looks like. The hole in the rack is definitely smaller than the hole for the grab bar (also shown). The silver post is immovable. The rack holes need to fit around the silver posts if I'm going to get my green trim piece to re-attach.

#15 ·
That’s what mine looks like. I tried (but not too hard) to pull the spacers out but mine would not budge. I took mine into work and drilled out a 9/16” hole. There is still enough material on the edges for strength. I will take some pictures this weekend when I mount my Shad46 case.

#21 ·
Those silver round things are the spacers I was referring to in the post above.

You do not need to drill the holes any bigger. You place the rack on top of the spacers, otherwise you'd be compressing those poor rubber grommets that currently sit around the spacer and putting all the load on the plastic tail piece.

Gustavo

#17 · (Edited)
Take the spacers out. Im pretty sure the OEM spacers come out and the SWM spacers (which are shorter) replace them and the rack sits on top of them. Its been a while but isnt that the way it shows on the instruction sheet? All the parts have little numbers next to them and you have to cross refrence the numbes to the parts list to find out where they go.

#18 ·
What spacers? The bright metal posts don't move. There's no way I can see to MAKE them move, either, at least no tool I can think of that would be able to get a good grip on them. When I look down the center of them, it looks like one solid piece down to the threaded area, as if there'd be nothing to bolt onto without them. It's kinda hard to explain.

I hope I don't sound too testy here. I'm running on massive sleep deprivation.

#25 ·
This helped tremendously, thank you. I took a pair of pliers and popped out those spacers, and what do you know, the rack fits beautifully. :right:

Lessons learned:

1. Ask the forum before bothering the supplier.

2. OEM instructions are better than aftermarket instructions.

3. No farkling unless I've had enough sleep!

Thank you everybody for your help and patience with me!

#22 ·
Gustavo, there isn't room. I'm in the middle of installing the same rack....the only way it fits with the body panels is to remove the spacers.

Vitesse, it's a smooth spacer pressed into a rubber bushing....put a little pressure on it to the side and it will pop out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.