Heavy Africa Twin is also expensive! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Heavy Africa Twin is also expensive!

It seems to me that they're way too heavy & way too expensive,100lbs heavier than the Versys & 30% more $$$'s!! but maybe when they are test ridden against the Triumph 800xc they will prove their worth............not long now before launch.
http://powersports.honda.com/documen...Twin_Specs.pdf

No, forget my Triumph statement, I just looked & the Trumpet is lighter & cheaper;
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/33450/...h-tiger-800xc/

So just who will they compete with?

Last edited by my2wheels; 10-09-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I really should do my homework BEFORE I make assumptions;
Here ya go'
The Africa Twin equipped with the standard gearbox will be priced at $12,999. The DCT version (equipped with a dual-clutch automatic transmission) is a bit more, at $13,699.

The KTM Adventure is $20k+

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/72477/...per-adventure/

The Honda weighs about 10lbs less than the Katoom, & neither
provide BHP specs, but l'm sure they're more than capable of pulling the skin off a rhino!!

Then there's always the BMW's??????
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2014/1...0-adventure-r/

Last edited by my2wheels; 10-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
It seems to me that they're way too heavy & way too expensive,100lbs heavier than the Versys & 30% more $$$'s!! but maybe when they are test ridden against the Triumph 800xc they will prove their worth............not long now before launch.
http://powersports.honda.com/documen...Twin_Specs.pdf

No, forget my Triumph statement, I just looked & the Trumpet is lighter & cheaper;
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC - Motorcycle USA

So just who will they compete with?
Still way lighter and cheaper than a Goldwing or a Miata.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Still way lighter and cheaper than a Goldwing or a Miata.
Oh you're just so "yesterday" sweety....l'm looking at 350ZX's now!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 PM

if I decide to go off roading I'll most likely get one of these (KLR 650)..staying in the family...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.5 KB, 173 views)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
if I decide to go off roading I'll most likely get one of these (KLR 650)..staying in the family...
AT is not a DS type bike more of an "Adventure Tour" type bike. One could say it might be a good RTW type bike.

This bikes target market is things like the Tiger and F800GS....and some say the S10. I would think I am safe in saying 90% of the people that buy this thing are going to have gravel about as off road as it gets for them.

Myself I am very interested in the AT...IF it fits me (I am short and light) one will come home with me in a year or so...I never buy a first run of anything....even a honda.

Sure there are plenty that take the KLR on long trips and it is a good stable platform for that, and the new models are much more comfy over the old one....I came off a DR650 that was like sitting on a sheet of plywood and found the new 15 klr very nice....and one hell of a good bang for the buck.

But all day at 75+ mph on a thumper just not going to be as good as a liter bike twin.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 PM

Yeah, I mean it's a cool capable bike and all, but when I saw the price I was surprised. It's super expensive for a Honda...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelollie View Post
It's super expensive for a Honda...
not really, not nowadays. probably ten years ago, you could buy a boxer g/s for 13 thou, but those things are closing in on 20 Large. the AT is priced about the same as Versys 1000 and V-Strom 1000. it's also about the same price as a 636 ABS, now that's amazing.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelollie View Post
Yeah, I mean it's a cool capable bike and all, but when I saw the price I was surprised. It's super expensive for a Honda...
I tend to agree, if you look at it next to a 650 versys it is expensive....but lets hope that the AT will have a rear suspension that is actually not a hard tail in hiding.

I think the DCT is going to hit at about $14k US or there abouts....personally not a bad deal for something that is going to be in the big ADV class. Go above this and you get active suspension and all kinds of other goodies....I am not even too upset about the lack of cruise on this bike....I plan on being on gravel most with it.

I am really looking forward to putting my bum on the seat....we will see where it goes from there....it is all a guess and we are guessing off of hondas propaganda.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 PM

I want one so bad. Having a KLR and loving it other than the long road rides to get to where I hit dirt. I hope the AT can be off roadable as my KLR and cover the pavement like my Versys.

No they're not giving them away but one AT is cheaper than a KLR and Versys.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I want one so bad. Having a KLR and loving it other than the long road rides to get to where I hit dirt. I hope the AT can be off roadable as my KLR and cover the pavement like my Versys.

No they're not giving them away but one AT is cheaper than a KLR and Versys.
I think it is going to depend on your dirt riding. I think I would be safe in saying if you are wanting to do easy trail type stuff it might be ok...but anything real nasty you are going to need some real skills to get there....and at that point get a real dirty bike. IMHO a long road ride to play in dirt would really be a DR650/KLR/650L area....Where a long ride on dirty roads is more of what this thing is going to be good at. The ability to eat up highway miles plus the ability to eat up "roads" that are unimproved....no pavement.

I think that if people get this thing thinking it is going to be a dirt bike that can go on the highway they are not going to be happy.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
I think that if people get this thing thinking it is going to be a dirt bike that can go on the highway they are not going to be happy.
true, same as any of the other liter-sized bikes. my dream bike for the last 15 years has been a Transalp with more horses and more range. this may be it, but we shall see.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 PM

Garage
From the looks of it, it is more off pavement focused than most of the adventure tour class bikes with longer suspension travel and a huge, narrow front tire. Things that will make it go better off pavement at the expense of on pavement handling.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
From the looks of it, it is more off pavement focused than most of the adventure tour class bikes with longer suspension travel and a huge, narrow front tire. Things that will make it go better off pavement at the expense of on pavement handling.
Getting close

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode