Top 10 Places To Ride In North America - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spackler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Top 10 Places To Ride In North America

Quote:
Most of these I’ve traversed, but I attempted to avoid personal bias by including a few I’d like to add to my personal list of best roads ridden. So much exists out there to ride a top 10 list doesn’t do justice, nay, not even a top 100 list would begin to scratch the amount of asphalt deemed epic by motorcycle standards. These are but 10 of the best known stretches; the roads that every motorcyclist should at least ride a few of in his or her lifetime.

Often, the best roads to ride are the hidden gems you stumble across by chance, during an episode of losing your way from the road more travelled, only to be lost to romantic memory upon an attempt to relocate said road. A few times I’ve attempted to retrace an unplanned detour of riding excellence only to find it’s seemingly vanished like some version of moto-Brigadoon.
Read more about the Top 10 Places To Ride In North America at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Garage
Rode many of those. Will pick up the California ones soon, but probably won't copper canyon.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle.com View Post

Read more about the Top 10 Places To Ride In North America at Motorcycle.com.
Seems like they missed British Columbia. While I like Deal's Gap and usually ride down once or twice a year, that road is useless unless you like to ride twisty roads hard. Most don't and simply make riding the road extremely boring. My advice would be go early or find another route. Anyway, that little strip of twisty heaven can't begin to compare with the magnificence of something like BC.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM

Five out of ten. I've ridden quite a few that are better.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Five out of ten. I've ridden quite a few that are better.
I agree, but some are the best ride for those in that region. Just like some states that say they have the "Grand Canyon" of the east. I say, "Nice Ditch, but I have seen the Grand Canyon". "and this sir is no Grand Canyon!"

After seeing most of Texas, I can see why they are excited about the 3 sisters.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Some much better in Texas including the River Road.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM

Garage
#3, Centennial Lake Highway is nearby and I ride it frequently. It's nice but not amazing. There are many better roads in Canada like the Rockies in BC or the Cabot Trail in NS.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Only 2 out of 10 (BRP and the Dragon). I've got more places to add to my must-ride list!

I agree with waltermitty that the River Road in Texas (between Presidio and Big Bend NP) is one of the best routes I've ever driven. Actually, it might get even better when you take it northwest from Presidio. It gets awfully lonesome out there; you don't want to break down. For isolation and desert beauty, it can't be beat.

(Note the verb above, "driven" -- I've only taken cars on this road. A long, long time ago, when I lived in El Paso.)

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Obviously, they didn't let US contribute !

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM

Garage
I might have placed the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton ahead of a few of those roads.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Another 10 best list...would love to ride all the ones I haven't ridden, and a whole bunch of other great roads on the way there and back. Just go ride!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 PM

No WV on the list? Fail.
dddd likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 PM

Only two of those, the TOD and the Three Sisters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
After seeing most of Texas, I can see why they are excited about the 3 sisters.
Agree. The Three Sisters are a nice break from the vast extensions of straight roads in Texas... Although, if you ride through Texas in secondary roads, it isn't that boring.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
...Anyway, that little strip of twisty heaven can't begin to compare with the magnificence of something like BC.
I've ridden THREE of them (9,4 and 1), and I AGREE w/ saddlebag, which is the reason I moved there in June 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...There are many better roads in Canada like the Rockies in BC or the Cabot Trail in NS.
- -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I might have placed the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton ahead of a few of those roads.
I AGREE w/ ATYC, and I would add California 299 between Eureka and Redding as VERY close to number 1!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
No WV on the list? Fail.
Shhh. No letting out the best kept secret in the game.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Only two of those, the TOD and the Three Sisters...

Agree. The Three Sisters are a nice break from the vast extensions of straight roads in Texas... Although, if you ride through Texas in secondary roads, it isn't that boring.
When I was a young flyboy I lived in San Antone and was a regular visitor to that area. There was a lot of patrol back then. I got pulled over a couple times. Military ID works great to get out of a ticket down there.

I took my wife down to SA 10 years or so ago and was amazed by all the traffic. I saw no one on motorcycles and as fast and closely packed as they drove I'm not sure I blame them. There's no room for anyone's error in that kind of traffic. I also took her out to Medina and it was still nice out that way.

When I lived down there I didn't even own a car. Don't think that would be feasible anymore.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 AM

I was in San Antonio back in September and I did see quite a bit of motorcycles. Lots of cruisers, I'd say that 8 out of 10 motorcycles I saw were cruisers. I did manage to see a squid wreck on the I-10 all by himself.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I was in San Antonio back in September and I did see quite a bit of motorcycles. Lots of cruisers, I'd say that 8 out of 10 motorcycles I saw were cruisers. I did manage to see a squid wreck on the I-10 all by himself.
Were you on 410? That's where I noticed the heavy traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode