Buell - going out of business - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Buell - going out of business

Here's the news on Buell's demise:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/64352232.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

I never was crazy about Buell's but I'm sad to see them go away. Lots of folks bought, rode and loved them. Harley's hurting for sure financially. I hope they saved some of the huge profits they made over the last 20 years for the rainy day that is here now.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Check out Erik Buell's msg on his website. That man looks like he has been through the ringer.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

Tim

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM

What a shame, I've always found them interresting, but the Harley engine made me not really want one.
However, they are the type of motorcycle you could just stare at for hours and find interresting and functional innovations everywhere on them.

And yes the video with Erik Buell making his announcement...... That's what a man whose dreams have been crushed looks like.

Last edited by Trailslapper; 10-15-2009 at 12:25 PM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Well, I won't be sorry to see Buell go. Crummy, ugly motorcycles for ridiculous prices. Advertised as "American" with Austrian HD motors. I'm sorry for the workers losing their jobs but not for this guy. I'm sure he'll make due with some millions he has stored away. As far as HD, the gravy train is over for them. All that home refinancing is over and so the guys who wanted a motorcycle to fit in with everyone else on a bike, won't be buying them any longer. In my local paper the used motorcycle section is basically all Harley's. Those garage trophies have to go!

2008 Versys - Ixil twin can exhaust, Fender eliminator, hugger, soft luggage
1975 RD350 - Stock for now but being converted to vintage racer.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM

I always wondered why Buell could never produce a supersport bike. Why couldn't they spit something out that won at Laguna Seca, etc. That would have kept them afloat and got the word out. Look what the R6 did for Yamaha. Sad.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Interesting that they would just shut it down. Maybe they tried to sell it off but had no buyers. Still, you would think the brand name and technology would be worth something. It's really tough to see an American name like this go down the toilet.

This really kind of pi$$es me off. Greedy investors, bankers and brokers cause a world financial crisis and the real victims are common working stiffs and people like Erik Buell who are chasing a dream.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Interesting that they would just shut it down. Maybe they tried to sell it off but had no buyers. Still, you would think the brand name and technology would be worth something. It's really tough to see an American name like this go down the toilet.

This really kind of pi$$es me off. Greedy investors, bankers and brokers cause a world financial crisis and the real victims are common working stiffs and people like Erik Buell who are chasing a dream.
From what I've heard its more indicative of HD and their problems than Buell, and that HD cannot really fund Buell. The fact that HD are closing down Buell and selling off MV Agusta/Caigiva suggests to me the problems are real close to the HD home. It'll be interesting to see what the sales figures are for all the self styled 'premium' bike brands over the next 12 months.

I'd love to know what Triumph are doing. its reported year on year sales of HD's are down over 25%.

lets face it HD is making a specific style of bike in a specific way, whether its an Austrian engine or not doesn't matter HD reflects an American dream, even if that American Dream is in the hearts of non US citizens. at least Porsche got the engine updated into the late 20th Century. At least someone like Triumph has tried to span the gap between so called 'heritage' and modern day bikes. sad to me the last few models have been trying to capture the US cruiser marketplace rather than another out and out sporty bike.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM

If any American manufacturer is geared to survive a recession it's gotta be Harley Davidson. They don't have to re-tool and re-brand like the car manufacturers, Harley can just keep building the same bikes as usual only fewer of them. They're not losing money, they're just not making as much as they would like to. I guess Buell was affecting their bottom line and obviously HD had to protect their primary business.

I wonder if Buell would have been more successful if it was marketed completely separate from HD. I would never have bought a Buell simply because of the relationship to HD. Walking into a Harley shop is an assault on the senses. They're selling everything from deoderant to jock straps with the Harley logo. Bikes seem to be a side line. And Buells seem to be a side line to the side line.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
I always wondered why Buell could never produce a supersport bike. Why couldn't they spit something out that won at Laguna Seca, etc. That would have kept them afloat and got the word out. Look what the R6 did for Yamaha. Sad.
My two cents: They weren't a priority so they never got the funding. To HD, Buell was another shiny object to get buyers in the door of a dealership. Throw a couple way in the back of the store so the buyers have to walk through the shiny new cruisers. Classic retail tactic.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:05 PM

If I recall correctly Buell started off as an independent company, just buying engines from HD. I guess in this economy there's no return to that configuration possible. I've always thought they did some cool bikes and innovative stuff, but I could never get over the feeling that they were lipstick on a pig (with the HD engines). Perhaps Buell with some new engine supplier...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Danny Eslick won the 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing Daytona SportBike championship. Does that not count???

As an owner of Buell motorcycles it's a sad day. The video of Erik making a personal annoucement about the end I think is very reflective of what a good soul he is as a man. It was heart breaking to watch. Even if you don't care for their motorbikes respect the man and his team for creating what they did with so little. Erik and his staff are very passionate about motorcycles. You got to love and respect that, no matter what brand you ride.

Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles

Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Too bad, Buell was a forward thinking company whose ideas were copied by some. And just when they get rid of that boat anchor of a motor this comes along. I guess HD had to cut them loose so they can foist more of their abominations on that select group of posers.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Well said, Loren. David and Goliath was just a Bible story. In this world it's mostly the Goliaths that win.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sad day indeed. He comes across as a genuine person in the video. Looks like it's tearing him apart.

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Buell is Gone

Dang shame that such an innovative company is killed by HD.Morons
watch the vid

AMA EAA STN
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM

From the Buell Forum:
Buell Enthieusts what do we do now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After watching a choked up EB read his statement...

I'm still at a loss for words for the most part..

I will say one thing I am pissed and it's not just Buell owners...

If you cruise other boards sentiment I'm getting is HD just knifed the Sport Bike Under Dog in the back literally...

What do we do now?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah, the owners are in shock and pissed at the same time:

QUOTE: BUELL FORUM
Buell Enthieusts what do we do now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After watching a choked up EB read his statement...

I'm still at a loss for words for the most part..

I will say one thing I am pissed and it's not just Buell owners...

If you cruise other boards sentiment I'm getting is HD just knifed the Sport Bike Under Dog in the back literally...

What do we do now?

My Album:
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Harley Davidson made the decision to discontinue the Buell product line

A video message from Erik Buell:

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode