New Kawasaki motorcycle plant in Brazil - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
New Kawasaki motorcycle plant in Brazil

Tokyo, October 8, 2009 — Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. announced today that operations have started up at a new motorcycle production plant at its Brazilian subsidiary, Kawasaki Motores do Brasil Ltda. (KMB). The plant’s launch was celebrated with a special ceremony on October 7.

Built in Manaus, Amazonas with a total investment of some 17 million reals*, the new plant boasts a site area of approximately 13,000 m2 and an annual production capacity of 25,000 units. The plant will start with producing the Z750 and Ninja 250R sportbikes before eventually expanding production to include other models.

KMB began selling imported motorcycles in October 2008. The launch of local production operations is expected to bring the sales volume up to 7,000 units for 2010.

Kawasaki is continually working to deliver products and services that drive customer satisfaction and enhance the Kawasaki brand.

Overview of Kawasaki Motores do Brasil Ltda.

Representative: Hiroshi Ito
Capital: 8.2 million reals* (wholly invested by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.)
Description of business: Import, production, sales and after-sales services for motorcycles, ATVs and personal watercraft (PWC)
Production capacity: 25,000 units/year
Number of employees: 81 (as of September 30, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Guess Kawasaki is pushing hard to compete with other bike manufacturers.
Sure sound good for us. WE are on this forum because of the V.
Among the Jap big 4, IMO, Kawasaki was always kept a low profile.
Never know what super duper bike will be coming out next!

Thanks, Invader for the post.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Goo heads-up.

Unlike the North American and European markets, the South American market is booming with small displacement bikes. Hope Kawi can make some money from the Brazil operations!

CC

---------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 04:19 PM

Tudo Bom! Otimo! I have a 125 Yamaha dirt bike for my daughter that was build in Brazil. I ride it when she wants to ride the ATV. IT hauls my 190 pounds around with no issues. Built well.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM

I wonder if they are going to make bikes that run on ethanol for the domestic market. Brazil is primarily ethanol and gas costs quite a lot.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 AM

I own an Honda NSX 400 builted in Brazil and it works pretty good... just the rims are bad quality because it get rusted to soon, but engine work just fine...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM

One of the early Honda CB's was built "off shore". Terrible build quality. It was a disaster for them. Let's hope things have changed for the better. Why not put a plant in America? The Japanese auto makers have and it has been quite profitable for them.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM

There is a Kawasaki plant in america. In Lincoln Nebraska. I know because I work there.
we build all ATV's, PWC , RUV and UTV for world consumption. we stopped building motorcycles in '06.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM

That's awesome Mawson. Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Oh, and lest we forget there is also Kawasaki engine plant in Maryville Missouri. They build engine used all sorts of applications. Kawasaki atv's, mules, john deer uses our engines in the gator, engines are also used by different riding lawnmower companies and also used in generators.
At the lincoln plant we also make subway cars used different cities throughout the US. If anyone is interested you can always visit www.kawasakilincoln.com
We've been building toys here in the US since the 70's.
Let the good times roll!!!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Overview of Kawasaki Motores do Brasil Ltda.

That is in the middle of the Brazillian Boonies. They must be after the cheaper labor market because this is a fairly low populated area. You would think transportation costs would be an issue because of its central country location. Brazil has no train system to speak of and most of the goods (over 90%) move by truck.

This site is 3900 km from Sao Paulo (a 48 hour drive by car). Are these bikes for export or Brazilian consumption?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I wonder if they are going to make bikes that run on ethanol for the domestic market. Brazil is primarily ethanol and gas costs quite a lot.
In Brazil I was a a gas station where you could buy Gas, Alcohol, Diesel, Liquid Propane, and Natural Gas to run your vehicle.

Most cars in Brazil are 100% flex - can run any mix from 100% gas to 100% alcohol. Alcohol gets about 15% less mileage than gasoline but gas is about twice the cost of alcohol per gallon in Brazil.

In Brazil with their large land area and temperate climate can grow Sugar Cane year round (2 crops per year) so they are energy independent with regard to automobile and truck fuel.

(I spent a lot of time in 2007 and 2008 in Brazil doing a project)
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawson View Post
Oh, and lest we forget there is also Kawasaki engine plant in Maryville Missouri. They build engine used all sorts of applications. Kawasaki atv's, mules, john deer uses our engines in the gator, engines are also used by different riding lawnmower companies and also used in generators.
At the lincoln plant we also make subway cars used different cities throughout the US. If anyone is interested you can always visit www.kawasakilincoln.com
We've been building toys here in the US since the 70's.
Let the good times roll!!!
They don't mention snowmobiles in Kawasaki Lincoln's history, but I think that's where my beloved 1981 Invader 440 was made. We also had a 1980 Drifter 340 after the engine in the 1979 was stollen... 1982 was the last year with the venerable Interceptor 550.

In 1974, Kawasaki became the first foreign vehicle company to establish manufacturers operations in the US. Other foreign manufacturers, including VW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and BMW, have followed the trend, but it was Kawasaki that had the vision, courage, and enterprise to cross the Pacific and establish operations in the world’s biggest market... "The major reason we came to Nebraska is that the people in the state have a very good work ethic,” said Shinichi Tamba, KMM president.

http://www.themanufacturer.com/us/de...ntents_id=1051

Last edited by invader; 02-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Invader, we sure did make the snowmobiles. there is a couple fine examples up in our product museum
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 AM

Funny you should mention Kaw snowmobiles. My family owned the #1 Snojet/Snojet-Kawasaki/Kawasaki dealership in the world (Van's Sport Center). It's now an Archery shop. I also owned an Invader as well as a few drifters.
Wow...takes me back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweetsleds425.jpg (46.7 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg 1980_KAWASAKI_6_7_SG_SEPT_79_AUG_25_2006_1A_MARCH_14_2010_1A_PP13433.jpg (532.0 KB, 1462 views)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Sounds good for Kawasaki but I wont buy a kawasaki not made in Japan or the US.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
Goo heads-up.

Unlike the North American and European markets, the South American market is booming with small displacement bikes. Hope Kawi can make some money from the Brazil operations!

CC
Straight up! I've gone down there every year for the past 5 years. The smaller 100 to 250 CC bikes are everywhere. (Besides just commuting, they use them as a taxis, propane delivery and what every you can fit on a bike) From what I could tell, our V's would be considered a rather large bike in Brazil.

Further, one of my friends down there told me about the cost of bikes in Brazil- crazy expensive! The 250 Ninja starter bike was around 15,000 Reais. They called the bike the "Little Ninja" I also saw advertisements for average 600 cc bikes that ran in the 30,000+ Reais. Depending on the exchange rate, for every Dollar you get about 1.6 to 1.8 Reais. That makes the "little Ninja" about 9 grand. Ouch!

Having said that, our V's would be a great bike for that country. Especially if you put on a tire that could easily handle a variety to terrains. But the cost of a larger bike like the Versys is beyond the reach of most Brazilians. I wonder it this would change if the plant is located in Brazil?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Sounds good for Kawasaki but I wont buy a kawasaki not made in Japan or the US.

I hate to break it to you, but I THINK the Versys is made in Taiwan. Am I wrong fellas??

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:02 PM

I believe North American Versys are made in Japan. At least mine is. Vin starts with a J. I believe Kawa also assemble them in Thailand.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Taiwan would be a good source. I had some experience with manufactured goods from Brazil in the past. My opinion, stay away from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode