lane-splitting coming to AZ...? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
lane-splitting coming to AZ...?

There was a news brief on this morning's TV news, that AZ is looking at possibly allowing motorcycles to lane-split like California does.
dadsafrantic and weljo2001 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not me............I'll just stay out of Phoenix.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm so far out in the boonies, when you say lane splitting they tell you "you don't need an L or a G in spittin"
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hope hope hope hope hope. If another state gets it, it gets talked about in the other 48 more seriously. I can't wait till its legal in more places, I enjoyed doing it in CA.
Gangles likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Really hope it happens. If in 2 states, the rest will really start mulling it for real.

Four Wheels Move the Body - Two Wheels Move the Soul
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
Then you get to deal with bikers that don't use their mirrors and think its okay to ride right on the white line blocking your path..(Harley Guys Are The Worst)....
Fastoman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 PM

I live in California, but moved here from Illinois about 22 years ago, and I love lane-splitting. It is hard for most to accept until you live in California, but it is so nice to lane split if there is bumper to bumper traffic. Here in the San Francisco bay area sometimes it can take 2 hours to go 20-30 miles so splitting traffic is really nice. I'm not sure I would even have a motorcycle if I couldn't split traffic here. You just need to be a bit more aware but many drivers here will also pull to the side of the road to give you more room. But then there are also the bad stories about some drivers not seeing riders but I don't see too many problems at all. The drivers in the cars don't want us taking up space either and making their commute longer.

I have made a few posts on other sites and some just can't fanthom the idea of lane-splitting. But until you do it..it is hard to understand. I know when I was in Illinois we could not make U-turns at intersections, but I get out here in California and it is done everywhere and I grew to find it very nice. I guess it is just getting used to how things are in different locations. I also think that if Arizona adopted lane-splitting that more states would start thinking of it.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR!1234 View Post
ute longer.

I have made a few posts on other sites and some just can't fanthom the idea of lane-splitting. But until you do it..it is hard to understand.
It isn't that the motorcyclists wouldn't go with it, it's the cagers that would be unwilling to accept that they have to wait while others get to cut in front of the line!
Personally, in Florida I don't think there's a need to lane-split. There are traffic jams but they're never like the ones in California. And, with all these tourists and snowbirds, they'd do something to cause you to wreck! Heck, there was a guy right here in Tampa that, literally, ran over a motorcycle because he was angry with them!
JeffR!1234 likes this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Devilsfan,

I now what you mean about the snowbirds. I have family in the Mesa, Arizona area and when we visit there you really have to keep track of some of the older drivers. I'm getting older myself being 58, but some of the drivers in Arizona are much older and just seem to go forward and they don't really look around for other traffic. I'm not trying to start an "age' debate here, but when my dad was still alive (in Mesa) he would kind of do the same thing. I think it would work but the state would have to educate all drivers about a possible new law with lane - sharing. I would think they would want to start the education well before it became legal.

I learned real quick to look into the cars/trucks mirrors and watch the eyes of the drivers. That kind of gives me notice of what they want to do.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Then you get to deal with bikers that don't use their mirrors and think its okay to ride right on the white line blocking your path..(Harley Guys Are The Worst)....https://youtu.be/H9VDtEYb1O0
A perfect example of why I do not agree with lane splitting, and by the way, that is not lane splitting as we have it down here.

Our version is only applicable when doing 25 km/ph or less. In other words through stopped or creeping traffic.

This video is crazy. Sooner or later the rider will make a mistake - or one of the startled motorists will move across on you. Surely if a collision occurs it can only be the fault of the rider. This is not lane splitting - it is hooning.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Brockie...exactly! If, for example, they allowed lane-splitting in Florida it would 1) scare the crap out of drivers, 2) more riders would feel they own the road, and 3) I think the accident rate would go up significantly!
I say, keep it in the places where drivers are used to it. It's a different day and age where nobody cares about anyone else. Maybe...try it in a large city like Miami but you MUST have a ton of signs explaining that lane-splitting is legal and will be practiced.
Fastoman and Brockie like this.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 AM

Hopefully it passes. I couldnt imagine sitting in the summer heat + traffic... What would be the point in riding? You might as well get out and walk!

I'm not in favour of splitting (30kph> -16mph+) but filtering, anything slower than that.

Anyone who is against it has obviously never tried it. I commuted for a year in the most congested city in western Canada on my bike and got literally dozens of hours of my life back thanks to filtering through stopped/creeping traffic. Anyone who thinks its recklessly irresponsible should try it some time. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.
JeffR!1234 likes this.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR!1234 View Post
...I Know what you mean about the snowbirds. I have family in the Mesa, Arizona area and when we visit there you really have to keep track of some of the older drivers. I'm getting older myself being 58, but some of the drivers in Arizona are much older and just seem to go forward and they don't really look around for other traffic. I'm not trying to start an "age' debate here, but when my dad was still alive (in Mesa) he would kind of do the same thing.... I learned real quick to look into the cars/trucks mirrors and watch the eyes of the drivers. That kind of gives me notice of what they want to do.
Even tho' I AM a "snowbird", I find it INCREDIBLE that so many states and provinces will allow people to drive a 40 foot motorhome, or a pickup pulling a 40 foot "fifth-wheel", w/out requiring a SPECIAL license (out side of an "Air-brake endorsement" IF it has air-brakes), and I regularly see people MY age (74) and older doing exactly THAT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Here's what drivers do to riders when they don't like sharing the road:

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Here's what drivers do to riders when they don't like sharing the road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkcKy_G960M
Ok? I've seen far more videos of clueless drivers doing the exact same thing to riders, but the only reason THOSE incidents happened were because the rider was sitting in line with cars. Sorry, your point has none.

That bike was driven right over because it was sat in a spot where the car could attack it. If you're filtering through traffic you arent there long enough for drivers to respond. You have no clue what you're talking about. I felt FAR safer filtering illegally than sitting in traffic. No question, not even close.

Oregon City man dies after motorcycle rear-ended in 4-vehicle pileup | OregonLive.com

Do you run into a wall as fast as you feel comfortable going? Or have a fully laden, 3,000lbs dumpster smash into you from behind? I'd call you stupid to choose sitting there waiting.

Last edited by Gangles; 02-18-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
Ok? I've seen far more videos of clueless drivers doing the exact same thing to riders, but the only reason THOSE incidents happened were because the rider was sitting in line with cars. Sorry, your point has none.

That bike was driven right over because it was sat in a spot where the car could attack it. If you're filtering through traffic you arent there long enough for drivers to respond. You have no clue what you're talking about. I felt FAR safer filtering illegally than sitting in traffic. No question, not even close.

Oregon City man dies after motorcycle rear-ended in 4-vehicle pileup | OregonLive.com
Ain't trying to fight with you on this! My point is, just because YOU are fine with lane-splitting doesn't mean the rest of us are! And don't try to tell me ALL of you lane-splitters follow the laws!!! Because you don't! I've seen more than my share when I did live and work in California that came flying by, scaring the heck out of me!
Again, my point was, after watching that video do you honestly think someone willing to drive over a stationary motorcycle wouldn't wait for one of you to come up on them before they opened their car door??? I wouldn't take that chance.
Brockie likes this.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ain't trying to fight with you on this! My point is, just because YOU are fine with lane-splitting doesn't mean the rest of us are! And don't try to tell me ALL of you lane-splitters follow the laws!!! Because you don't! I've seen more than my share when I did live and work in California that came flying by, scaring the heck out of me!
Again, my point was, after watching that video do you honestly think someone willing to drive over a stationary motorcycle wouldn't wait for one of you to come up on them before they opened their car door??? I wouldn't take that chance.

Guy opened his door on me. He was found 100% at fault.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Where I live, there are now more accidents caused by distracted driving, than by DRUNK DRIVERS.

I'll gladly eat a door or some jackass squeezing me out, over someones bumper. How is that even a question? You need to ponder the lesser of two evils for longer than you obviously have thus far. What happened to weljo above is basically the worst case scenario filtering according to recommended guidelines, and what happened? A broken turn signal and scuffed fairings?

Whats the worst case scenario in being rear ended? Hospitalized? Dead? Do you have a good life insurance policy?

Filtering allows you to choose your level of risk. Sitting in traffic, you are at the mercy of everyone behind you. Sounds like a bad life strategy to me.
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by Gangles; 02-18-2018 at 04:51 PM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
Where I live, there are now more accidents caused by distracted driving, than by DRUNK DRIVERS.

I'll gladly eat a door or some jackass squeezing me out, over someones bumper. How is that even a question? You need to ponder the lesser of two evils for longer than you obviously have thus far. What happened to weljo above is basically the worst case scenario filtering according to recommended guidelines, and what happened? A broken turn signal and scuffed fairings?

Whats the worst case scenario in being rear ended? Hospitalized? Dead? Do you have a good life insurance policy?

Filtering allows you to choose your level of risk. Sitting in traffic, you are at the mercy of everyone behind you. Sounds like a bad life strategy to me.
OK, so I read the Berkley study from 2015. They say lane-splitting is less dangerous. I get it. But what I'm saying is here, on the east coast, we tend to get a little irrate. Road rage, hit and runs, occur DAILY! Watch the news any night and there'll be a report about one or both.
Whether it's safer or not, I just can't see it being allowed here. I don't think the masses would go for it. No matter how safe it can be!
I will concede that Canada is different. Larger population and the traffic is brutal? But Canada has a "different way of life", so to speak. For example, they have the car pool lanes. Florida doesn't have them, or do we have the traffic/population you all do. Canada has people that have accepted lane-splitting. Florida has people that carry concealed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode