lane-splitting coming to AZ...? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Guy opened his door on me. He was found 100% at fault.....https://youtu.be/NkiUZ2GGL34
Different people will have different ideas on who the douchbag is. You are thinking solely of yourself.

Of course sooner or later some irate guy stuck in the traffic jam is going to react to your queue jumping. Your actions were in no way respectful to other road users. I'll bet many drivers felt a lot better seeing you on the deck.

And the way you thread through trailers you are not long for this world. I have used lane splitting on occasions in creeping traffic - but respectfully.
Devilsfan likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 PM

Thats a fair point. And yeah, the driving culture probably wouldnt accept it until traffic jams that last hours twice every single day were regular for everyone. Concealed carry is something that I would never have considered either.... Crazy Yanks!
Devilsfan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Different people will have different ideas on who the douchbag is. You are thinking solely of yourself.

Of course sooner or later some irate guy stuck in the traffic jam is going to react to your queue jumping. Your actions were in no way respectful to other road users. I'll bet many drivers felt a lot better seeing you on the deck.

And the way you thread through trailers you are not long for this world. I have used lane splitting on occasions in creeping traffic - but respectfully.

Just because you choose to be a P.U.S.S.Y don't berate those of us that aren't. I did nothing wrong everything i did was legal. I sent a longer version of that video to the police and the guy was found to be 100% at fault.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-18-2018 at 09:35 PM.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A perfect example of why I do not agree with lane splitting, and by the way, that is not lane splitting as we have it down here.

Our version is only applicable when doing 25 km/ph or less. In other words through stopped or creeping traffic.

This video is crazy. Sooner or later the rider will make a mistake - or one of the startled motorists will move across on you. Surely if a collision occurs it can only be the fault of the rider. This is not lane splitting - it is hooning.
Agree!. There must speed limits on Lane splitting otherwise its just a matter of time when someone gets hurts.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The California Motorcycle Police for the state patrol are not nice at all to cagers who open doors or veer over. They pull those people over very quick and are not nice to them. I heard of a story where a driver opened their door and injured the motorcycle rider and the driver was charge with attempted murder. I'm not sure what the outcome of that was but it was just 1 city south of me and was in the news. But the cops are not nice to drivers who try to mess with cycle riders, probably since they ride too. I have only encountered 1 driver that tried to veer over to cut me off in the 15 years I have been riding out here.

Like I said in a previous post of mine...those that haven't lived in California don't really understand lane-sharing. I didn't know it was legal when I came out here, when I was 36, and I thought these people were crazy and wondered why the police didn't pull them over. Then I found out about a year after I was here that it is legal. I am cautious when I do this and I think lane-sharing makes me a better rider. It may not make sense to others but it does.
Gangles likes this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Lane splitting is very common here in Asian countries - Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and not sure if there is law , but we do it almost daily on Highways and all other roads. But if you meet with and incident then, its where the problem starts, since there is nothing to prove you are right or on the right lane of travel. Between two lane of travel , you are in no mans land, and its your call so you need to be 100% sure of what you are doing..

Just my 2cts thoughts.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just because you choose to be a P.U.S.S.Y don't berate those of us that aren't. I did nothing wrong everything i did was legal. I sent a longer version of that video to the police and the guy was found to be 100% at fault.
I do not care who was found legally at fault.
The fact is that your aggressive and antagonistic riding got a negative response from one of your fellow highway users.

If you consider that being respectful to other road users is being a P.U.S.S.Y. then I guess we have nothing to talk about.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I do not care who was found legally at fault.
The fact is that your aggressive and antagonistic riding got a negative response from one of your fellow highway users.

If you consider that being respectful to other road users is being a P.U.S.S.Y. then I guess we have nothing to talk about.
He opened the door because the driver in the lane beside him was trying to communicate to him and his window wouldnt roll down, ergo he threw his door open illegally and without looking... Which you would know if you watched the whole thing and didnt just jump on the outrage bandwagon at the first sign someone is doing something you're too much of a puss to try for one reason or another.

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 AM

I think its fine in places like CA, etc.. where the culture is used to it. I have seen several of Joes Videos over the years and he always seems like he has plenty of experience to deal with most scenarios that would pop up. The jeep dude was a douche bag, No question there.

Here though, it would take a while for cagers to get to the point of accepting the bikes, even if it was law. I expect California may have been the same way to a degree when it first started becoming popular there, cagers were surely like " What the hell do you think you are doing?"
I do get nervous behind stopped cars, especially if its traffic on a highway. I always have my out sighted ahead and my eyes clearly on the mirror to see who's coming behind me.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 AM

I've been safely splitting lanes in CA since the 70's. Even though it's now officially legal, that doesn't mean the cagers are excepting of it. Yeah, there are some riders which split traffic at ridiculous speeds, but frankly, it seems like some cagers have negative views of motorcycles and just hate us no matter what. I've been close to being run off the road by angry drivers as I just rode normally.

It may sound weird to you folks that don't view lane splitting as safe; I regard it as part of my defensive riding. I don't feel safe riding in groups with cars at all. I want to get past cars as quickly as it's possibly safe. I also feel very exposed at the tail end at an intersection, and will always filter to the front.

Unfortunately, I have always told my friends that ride, to ride as if the people in cars either don't see you, (especially, watch out for left tuners at intersections) or they are out to get you!
weljo2001 and Gangles like this.
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I think its fine in places like CA, etc.. where the culture is used to it. I have seen several of Joes Videos over the years and he always seems like he has plenty of experience to deal with most scenarios that would pop up. The jeep dude was a douche bag, No question there.

Here though, it would take a while for cagers to get to the point of accepting the bikes, even if it was law. I expect California may have been the same way to a degree when it first started becoming popular there, cagers were surely like " What the hell do you think you are doing?"
I do get nervous behind stopped cars, especially if its traffic on a highway. I always have my out sighted ahead and my eyes clearly on the mirror to see who's coming behind me.
Hahaha the armchair warrior within me woke up when I read your first sentence. But then I read the rest of your post and it is so true! Even CA drivers/LEO would have had a problem in the beginning. But people started looking out for lane-filtering/splitting because they had no other choice - it was the law! It has to be made the law in other states too. If cagers are so irritated by the bikes filtering through to the front of the line, they are free to ride motorcycles!

I come from India. S******s aside, at least the cagers there know that motorcyclists will squeeze in whatever space they get and are careful. I know it is too much of an extreme in India but here, it the extreme to the other end. Middle space has to be found for motorcyclists like in Europe!
Gangles and JeffR!1234 like this.

Four Wheels Move the Body - Two Wheels Move the Soul
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM

Garage
Don't Hate/ Participate

JeffR!1234 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 PM

Lucky bastard!

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 AM

weljo,

I do exactly what you shown in your video. If there is plenty of space to filter through to the front than I usually will do that. If i think the cars are too close than I just sit back and wait. But it is nice to have the option for lane sharing. I don't see the police lane sharing in the city but will see it on the interstate at times. It is the crotch rockets that seem to be the most aggressive and wish they would settle down. I have seen them do wheelie's in between cars, which is really crazy.
weljo2001 and Gangles like this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
Lucky bastard!

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 AM

To be clear, here I do sometimes filter to the front. I think of that as separate from splitting, whether that is correct to differentiate or not, I do not know.

I Would enjoy legally splitting down here if it became legal, but I probably wouldn't participate that much in the first few years. But I very rarely ever encounter traffic bad enough to warrant splitting. I can see living on the west coast in some of that traffic, splitting is more a survival tool than anything.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
To be clear, here I do sometimes filter to the front. I think of that as separate from splitting, whether that is correct to differentiate or not, I do not know.

I Would enjoy legally splitting down here if it became legal, but I probably wouldn't participate that much in the first few years. But I very rarely ever encounter traffic bad enough to warrant splitting. I can see living on the west coast in some of that traffic, splitting is more a survival tool than anything.

Our traffic is like waiting for a ride at Disney Land....Filtering is like having a speed pass at Disney Land.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:47 PM

Garage
Fastoman and Sandy Wright like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 AM

Garage
I say bring it on in AZ. Full time residents would eventually conform to the new laws. I live in a 55+ community. Let me tell ya, I'd rather lane split, than avoid these elderly residents driving and backing up their vehicles out of their driveways. Or driving their golf carts with reckless abandon! In all seriousness, I don't see an issue. Other than distracted motorists burying their heads in their cell phones. But I work from home when I am not traveling meeting with customers. But you folks that do commute on motorcycles, I say go for it!

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Lane splitting should be UN-written law , just leave it to the bikers to make the call. You legalize it and it will be misused by some bikes like they own the road endangering other road users.
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode