2012 Versys 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2012 Versys 1000

Since Buffalo is a short jaunt over the Niagara River from Canada, I went to Toronto for the North American debut of the 2012 Versys 1000. Of course being a V owner I was pretty excited to see it in person and I was not disappointed. Here's a pic I took at the show (North American International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW). And for anyone out there also interested in Harleys and American made motorcycles, there will be an article about this show in the upcoming issue of Thunder Press magazine, written by yours truely. Even though it's primarily a Harley mag, I had to slip in a couple of plugs for the Versys

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So, the factory is going to allow side bags AND top bag at the same time on this bike. And do I see adventure tires mounted on the beast?

I have a friend that doesn't ride anything under 1000cc and he would love to see this bike come to the states.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Are these coming to the United States? I was told yesterday they couldn't get the V 1000 to pass emissions so we will never see them here. I told the dealer I would like to see them if they get one. We'll see.

Mike Albitz
Make Mine a 10mm

1978 Yamaha 250
1982 Suzuki GS250
1984 Yamaha XS650
1986 Suzuki GS650
1999 Yamaha Wolverine 350
2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
2011 Kawasaki Versys 650

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Acc to Kawasaki, there were no plans to bring the 1k to the states when I checked a few months back. To my knowledge, that hasn't changed.

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbitz View Post
Are these coming to the United States? I was told yesterday they couldn't get the V 1000 to pass emissions so we will never see them here.
I love the crap dealers say...That's his answer? Run to a new dealer.....

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So, the factory is going to allow side bags AND top bag at the same time on this bike. And do I see adventure tires mounted on the beast?
Here in Brazil, Kawasaki already bring this bike and they say that, in two months, they gonna bring the Tourer version, that came with side bags AND top case.
I think the tires are the Scorpion Trails.

--
Gustavo Erivan
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just sitting on one at the dealer my impression was it carries it's weight better than the 650, as does the Tenere, as they both seem to have a lower center of gravity. Although they are heavier bikes they don't feel heavier at a stand still. It is physically bigger than the 650 though. I think the 650 looks nicer though and is a better value at nearly half the price.

I'm not sure why but the Japanese manufacturers seem to be using Canada as a test market for the US - probably because we are a tiny mirror of the US market with similar consumer demographics. They brought the 650 to Canada a year before the US and seem to be doing the same thing with this bike and the new Honda NC-700

Last edited by twowheels; 07-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Kind of curious that a small change in the tunning of the engine used in the Ninja 1000 and the Z1000 will fail to pass emissions. Kawasaki might have chosen not to test it or might have not programed the ECU for US specs, but testing it and fail? I do not see that one happening. The most likely scenaro in my mind is dealers not wanting to sell it. It is easy to sell something that fits a specific niche. It is much harder to convince people that there are alternatives available.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Kind of curious that a small change in the tunning of the engine used in the Ninja 1000 and the Z1000 will fail to pass emissions. Kawasaki might have chosen not to test it or might have not programed the ECU for US specs, but testing it and fail? I do not see that one happening. The most likely scenaro in my mind is dealers not wanting to sell it. It is easy to sell something that fits a specific niche. It is much harder to convince people that there are alternatives available.
There is NO way that is the reason for not selling it here! That dealer is pulling that excuse out of his arse.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I'm not sure why but the Japanese manufacturers seem to be using Canada as a test market for the US - probably because we are a tiny mirror of the US market with similar consumer demographics. They brought the 650 to Canada a year before the US and seem to be doing the same thing with this bike and the new Honda NC-700
Canadians tastes are half way between Americans and Europeans. Even with cars, smaller cars are much more popular here. While HD is popular, it doesn't own the marketplace, primarily because there is no "buy American" mentality here. The only Canadian Bikes made are from Can-Am.

It makes sense to test bikes here. It is a small test market, (total population is 30+million people, how many are bikers I have no clue), and has demonstrated that if we back a bike, it will also be popular down south. Also our emmisions standards are strict, but less strict than California. I think if California had common emmisions standards with the rest of the continent, more interesting niche stuff from Europe and Japan would be for sale accross the USA.

for reviews on all motorcycle accessories as well as other great motorcycle news, stories and video.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm11_6 View Post
Acc to Kawasaki, there were no plans to bring the 1k to the states when I checked a few months back. To my knowledge, that hasn't changed.
I did a demo ride a couple of months back and also asked about the V1k. They said they can't comment, but while I was leaving a ride leader came over and happened to mention that they were currently riding the V1k in California, in the good old US of A! As he "couldn't comment on upcoming models", I took that to mean that at the dealer show in October they should be announcing it, and it will be available for demo rides next year, something he said sounded about right.

Guess we'll see pretty soon now...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Today on a tip in different thread I checked the epa site and the Versys 1000 is certified for emissions for 49 states. That can mean it will be available soon in the US

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I was at the local kawi dealer today asking if the versys 1000 is headed to the states. He said everything was tight liped about it. But was hoping to hear something next month.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Today on a tip in different thread I checked the epa site and the Versys 1000 is certified for emissions for 49 states. That can mean it will be available soon in the US

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
I've seen the same info. Seems pretty certain. Somebody better alert malbitz's dealer! (See post # 3)

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Kawa have a big marketing thing going on in Times Square Sep 13. Is Ninja centric but they also mentioned other surprises. We'll see.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM

I think it would be a good move for Kawasaki to bring the 1000 here. It would bridge the gap between the 650 Versys and the Connie for a sporty touring/adventure, not that the Conmie's in anyway a AVD bike. My "V" is a good little ST bike but for longer rides with a passanger the 1000 would be a better choice.

I just wonder it we're looking a Wee-Strom/V Strom where the smaller bike is the bike of choice for a lot of riders?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 AM

I ask my dealer yesterday about the 1000. They said they will find out if it's coming in or not at the dealer meeting. But they didn't have a clue right now if it would or not. I trust them so if they don't know well...we'll find out at the end of the month.

BUT I'll keep my 650

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Last edited by Seeya; 09-09-2012 at 10:51 AM.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
Since Buffalo is a short jaunt over the Niagara River from Canada, I went to Toronto for the North American debut of the 2012 Versys 1000. Of course being a V owner I was pretty excited to see it in person and I was not disappointed. Here's a pic I took at the show (North American International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW). And for anyone out there also interested in Harleys and American made motorcycles, there will be an article about this show in the upcoming issue of Thunder Press magazine, written by yours truely. Even though it's primarily a Harley mag, I had to slip in a couple of plugs for the Versys

Put a cali Scientific big screen on it and you have a decent long milage machine. IMODO!

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Here's a link to a Motorcycle News test of the V1000
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2012-current/

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode