Happy 100th Birthday, Avon. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Happy 100th Birthday, Avon.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM

I got a great deal on a set of Avon Storm 2 tires last fall. It's the first set of Avon's that I've ridden on and I have to say I'm very happy with them. In the wet or dry they have felt very planted and inspire one to push them a bit more. Last week I rode for over an hour in heavy rain on the highway and they never felt like they where hydroplaning. I recently took my Versys over 50km or gravel and they felt better than the stock Dunlops did on gravel.

I have about 5000km on them now and they are wearing better than the stock ones did, no cupping on the front (looks brand new) and the rear has not been squared off.

One other interesting note; I had read/heard conflicting information about the proper air pressure in the tires, so I decided to call Avon's toll free tech line. After about 3 rings a real person answered, asked what kind of bike I was riding and what tire I had, the then gave me the correct tire pressure for the Storm 2's on the Versys: 32psi front, 36psi rear. I thought that was good customer service worth mentioning.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Now that's customer service...
I like it when a real person that is knowledgeable answers the phone.
Avon may well be my next tire as soon as my Bridgestones are done.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

This film shows land speed record holders Russell Wright and Bob Burns being interviewed by Vic Willoughby of The Motor Cycle in a film called 'The Wright Burns Records'. The great footage shows Wright hitting 187mph in July 1955 on a Vincent Black Lightning, with Burns subsequently attaching a third wheel to take the world sidecar record with a speed of 163mph, "in spite of a wet road surface".

Viewers are then taken to Pendine Sands, where further speed testing is being undertaken and we are told that "technically minded enthusiasts will be interested to hear that this machine, bought by Wright and equipped with its fish-like shell by Burns, incorporates such modifications as big port cylinder heads and large bore carburettors."

We then see Bob Burns facing "near disaster" when, at 125mph in second gear, "the clutch lining comes adrift and flying sands jams the throttle wide open", whilst heading towards the "unfriendly looking cliffs".

Fortunately Burns averts disaster and we are left with the parting message that "yet again, Avon tyres have proved their practical reliability under conditions of use far from norm and the tyres that you ride on are manufactured from the same materials, by the same methods, and with the same meticulous care and skill".

Those were the days....

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Another blast from the past from Avon. It's ok, I don't use Avon tyres.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode