Got a recall notice today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Got a recall notice today

Here is a quote:

"Reason for this notice:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that non compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 49 CFR S71. 108, Section S5. 1.1 exists in 2008-2009 Versys KLE 650A8F/A9F models when Kawasaki Genuine Accessory Saddlebags are attached because the saddlebags obscure the rear side reflectors creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death. If you have not purchased Genuine Kawasaki Accessory Saddlebags, or if reflectors have been installed on your saddlebags, please disregard this notice."

It goes on to say that they will fix the problem by attaching reflectors to each saddlebag. I guess if you've got nothing better to do? My Versys has been to the dealer once (for the loose left mirrror), which I had to fix later.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 03-28-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Just stick em to your helmet and you can save yourself the trip. Our tax dollars at work. I would run down there and get that fixed right away, right?

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, me too. Seems like the exact same recall that was mailed out back in '08...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

This is original kawa saddle bags and they are good enough to be seen.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I bought my 08 in May of 09 new, so maybe they just caught it. I don't have hardbags anyway, just thought it was funny that such a common sense problem would require a recall. Why not recall the swinging mirror, instead?

My Album:
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
This is original kawa saddle bags and they are good enough to be seen.

What about from the sides at the rear, as the recall states. Saddlebags cover up the stock red reflectors.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think the recall is focusing more on side impact, so the red reflectors are suppose to be seen. Doesn't make sense for a recall unless somebody has nothing to do....
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
I think the recall is focusing more on side impact, so the red reflectors are suppose to be seen. Doesn't make sense for a recall unless somebody has nothing to do....
That's what I said. It's for the rear side red reflectors covered by the saddlebags. It is an critical safety recall.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

OK, Agreed sir. Maybe I are seeing from a lighter angle and safety is a very important matter that's warrants the recall

Thanks.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 AM

CYA by Kawasaki! Lawyers would eat that up if an accident occurs and someone could prove it was negligence on their part. I understand their reasoning, but it bothers me that it had to be written. Certainly bikes and cars have become safer, and I appreciate most of what we have. Sometimes though, I get the feeling someone is justifying their job,(Medicare paperwork comes to mind) and that makes everybody else have to jump through hoops because of it.
Sorry for the rant and safety is always important.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 AM

My bike came with Givi badged V35's (same as the OEM bags but purchased aftermarket). I carefully removed the oval shaped Givi logos, used them as a template for DOT red reflector strip, cut out the reflector and stuck it in place. Looks like it was meant to be there and it's a better reflector than what came on the bike. Less hassle than going to the dealer for a recall.

Best silly recall in the last year was for a Honda VTX1300 which had a tank sticker with the wrong Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. "Return your vehicle to your Honda dealer who will install the correct sticker."

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM

Garage
So i'll get a recall notice on the rear side reflectors i took off and threw in a box. If they can't see a 6'2" 270lbs guy before gear pearched on top of a bright blue bike. i don't think the tiny red dot will help.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-29-2011 at 08:54 AM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM

Speaking of recalls, my favorite one from my days as a Chrysler service advisor was for some late 90's Sebring sedans IIRC that were equipped with the factory installed anti theft system and the factory installed overhead display with a compass in it. They might not start if parked facing west-the computer 'thought' the vehicle was being stolen when the owner tried to start it. Needed revised software.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Before I fixed it with Loctite, the left mirror could have got me killed! That's a safety issue for sure.

My Album:
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM

It's the right mirror on my wifes V, we're thinking of rplacing them with other types that had led lights on he back. I have these on my Vstrom.

Saddle Bags, I have signals and brake lights on them, reflective black stuff, and they will be replaced with Bestem luggage soon, come with installed brake lights.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM

I'm pretty sure somebody already sued KHI, after an accident, citing the obscured reflectors as partial cause.

I purchased my Kawi branded Givi bags last winter (2010), and had to wait three months to actually receive them, as Kawi had put a hold on sales of the bags for a few months, until they could develop and ship a reflector "replacement" kit. Luckily, I got a REALLY good deal on the bags, so I didn't mind the wait.

It's comprised of a couple of ~1"x6" red reflectors that stick to the side of the bags. I didn't use them, and I wouldn't recommend them.

If you look around on the forum, you can find pics of them.

KHI's lawyers must have eventually determined it prudent to employ a blanket recall.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Here's the solution I posted about earlier, with red DOT reflective replacing the oval Givi logos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys 2.jpg (134.3 KB, 347 views)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Those look great Bones!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 PM

It seems no one takes responsibility for their own ass anymore.
What is 50 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
a good start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode