Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

stock windscreen: brutal truth?

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Throttled 
#1 ·
Friends,

I just moved my stock (2012) windscreen from the lowest position to the highest available position, and can't ride the machine just now...

...thus a question for owners having done the same: should a noticeable reduction in buffeting/noise for an average-sized rider be expected, no change in rider comfort be expected, or should the entire activity simply be written off as a "fun with well-nuts" therapy session?

#4 ·
I find speeds over 135-140km/h too windy on the V. I did a 7k km trip last summer and was fine with the stock screen flipped upside down if I didn't cruise at speeds higher than above mentioned. Not that I would have anyway, at least not for long periods of time. All other screens look too terrible for me to switch to. The only one I like is the optional Kawasaki one. Not sure how much better it is though, or does it just looks better. Because it's not much bigger, if at all.

#5 ·
I actually prefer the stock one (2011) to the tall Givi (I get more buffeting from the Givi). Best settings I've found so far is stock screen on highest setting and Givi screen on lowest setting. But personally, nothing beats a naked bike, as the wind is spread equally, and free of any turbulence. I rented a BMW K1300GT about 2 years ago, and that windscreen at the highest level gave me and my gf a headache within 45 minutes! Once I set it to the lowest setting it was MUCH better, yet still not perfect. I rarely read bike reviews where the journalist is pleasantly surprised by the windscreen.

#6 ·
Don't ya love internet forums? Someone asks a simple question (What's the effect of raising the stock screen one notch?) and gets four quick answers comparing the merits of the stock screen to aftermarket screens? :huh:

Oh well.

I did the same experiment not long after I got my Versys, trying the screen in all three positions. For my personal preference, I now just keep it in the middle setting, the way it comes from the factory, all the time.

When I raised it to the higher position, it created additional buffeting for me. For reference purposes, I'm a true 5-11 (I read an article once where the average man in the U.S. exaggerates his height by two inches :eek:fftopic:).

I really does come down to personal preference. I like a windscreen that gives me a bubble of calm air on my chest, so I don't tire, but gives me a clean flow of air over my helmet with no buffeting. So I generally don't like big windshields. I don't want to look through one, and one I look over has to be small and low enough not to create turbulence that bats my head around. Obviously, lots of folks like something else, which is why so many choose larger aftermarket screens. There's no wrong answer, just one that's right or wrong for you.

#7 ·
The buffeting and noise problem is caused by the windscreen's upright angle, mostly with larger windscreens...

Leaning the windscreen back by modifying the mounts addresses the cause of all noise and buffeting problems, especially with a taller and more obstructive windscreen... I cut my mounts in half, ground them down and assembled with drilled flat steel bar to lean it back as much as possible, without having my handguards touch it at full steering lock. Excellent results with my 16.5" tall Mike's Shields tinted windscreen, and it also looks better leaned back and tucked down.

#8 ·
I tried my stock screen in all positions and experienced head buffeting in every one.

Then I flipped it, mounted in the highest position, and tipped out just a touch at the bottom with some plastic washers, perfect. Helmet is in clean air. This is an '09 first gen and I'm 5'8".

#9 · (Edited)
I've got a 2011 V and I've got no complaints for the stock screen.
Out of curiosity I've tried it in all positions and finally ended up with it back on its original position.
I did purchase additional well nuts as my well nut therapy sessions were counter productive.
All three positions were OK for me... I noticed little or no difference.
I'm an average rider... 5'8"/185lbs.
I've done 15,000+ miles so far including some long and very long trips and I personally don't see a need a larger windscreen.
It's a motorcycle... there's supposed to be wind in your face.

#10 ·
I'm 5'10" and with a 2010 stock screen I have no complaints.... Admittedly I've never used anything use but no severe buffeting, some buffeting when passing a car but I've yet to ride a bike that didn't have that ... Maybe it's the faster black? ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I tried all positions on the stocker. Makes no bloody difference to me.

Put on an aftermarket givi screen, i'm never gonna get back to stock screen.

#12 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your reactions, ideas, and experimental results.

It appears that windscreen issues are similar to engine oil, oil filter, and tire preferences...amalgams of wallet resource, individual circumstance, and personal sensitivity to noise and buffeting issues...very understandable!

My previous bike was a naked bike (Honda 919) and I have spent a lot of time in the wind on long tours. Also, I have been married for 45 years. That combination has given me the gift of profound tolerance to intrusive and shrill noise that might bother others. :censored:

I decided I don't want a tall windscreen for aesthetic reasons. I might try to employ a short extension of the stock windscreen that I will make myself. If/when that attempt fails, I will most likely stay stock.

I appreciate the information you all have provided!

:thanx:

#15 ·
I found no difference with the stock screen or the MRA touring screen in different positions. But the MRA is better than the stock screen at keeping buffeting off my chest and shoulders.

If anything the weather has the biggest impact. Riding into the wind and not surprisingly there is more buffeting and gusts in different directions mean lots of buffeting. No wind (rare here) is the best, followed by the wind behind you which is also the quietest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.