Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

You're having a bad day. Then you come to the garage...

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
Came back from a really nice two week trip a month ago, did some 7k km of western US. I yet have to make a post with pics about that, but that's a happier thread. Went on another trip right after, this time in our VW Bus. Parked my Versys for about a month in the meantime, then two nights ago got it on the trickle charger overnight to top up the battery. Had a pretty bad start to the day yesterday, then went to the underground to grab the bike as I had to do some errands. Opened the door and saw this...

:mad::mad::mad:

It was one of those days. My first split-second thought was that somebody pushed it intentionally, but I quickly decided 'no'. Then I saw the note. A neighbour of mine caught the rear tire as he was backing his STI with a bike rack. Admittedly, he wasn't watching his left mirror.
What sucks is that the bike went OVER the side stand and came down. It must have caught the right foot peg right at an angle that would not fold, so it snapped the bracket. And that sucks the most as the bike is not ridable until that is replaced.
VPS Barkbuster got scratched, mirror has a rash and a crack in the plastic and the cowling is destroyed. The lip of the side stand foot is slightly bent upwards, has to be hammered back down. I yet have to inspect it closer but what's weird is the dent in the cowling that caused it to implode like that. Nothing reaches that point! Did the handle bar give enough to bash into it and then sprung back into normal position? I don't know it's a bit weird. And I'm pretty sure the clutch lever is rotated up, but I can't move it up or down on the handle bar. You think if it was knocked loose, it would spin around the handle bar easier.

Anyway, he of course said he'd pay for the damages. Ironically, he is no stranger to motorcycles.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, he seems like a nice guy. Mind you, it's a very small garage and only two cars would make sense to run into the bike, his being one of them so it would be hard to hide who did it.
Will be fixing it this coming week, we talked about it yesterday.
Anybody knows a good source to get these parts ordered, the stock ones anyway? Dealership prices are probably ridiculous. Main things being the bracket and the cowling. I also need to order a single VPS guard.

#5 ·
Two sources I've used: Partshark is good, Bike Bandit if you belong to AMA and the discount is worth it. Either way, may take a couple of weeks to get parts once you place order. Sorry for your troubles. If neighbor is going to let his insurance pay for it, you might consider having your dealer do (and warranty) the work. Just my dos centavos.

#8 ·
...I yet have to inspect it closer but what's weird is the dent in the cowling that caused it to implode like that. Nothing reaches that point! Did the handle bar give enough to bash into it and then sprung back into normal position? I don't know it's a bit weird....
Was your steering-lock ON? Years ago I read somewhere that fall-over damage is very much lessened by leaving the steering locked, so that in a fall-over the bars don't get pushed back-and-forth. That (and leaving it in first gear) is now my SOP!
:goodluck:

#12 ·
Check out ebay. theres a red tank and two foot peg brackets for the side you don't need

#14 ·
Ouch, sorry that it happened to you. It's impossible for the fairing to crack up like that with your sliders and hand guards in place. My guess that it came down and hit something on the floor causing such a localized intense damage.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.