Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Shoot from your V course. Stopped and moving! What do you think?

9K views 75 replies 39 participants last post by  kawdog 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about asking my friend if I can set up a course on his land. I shoot all the time on the move and stopped. I put some targets out and was able to hit them it was really fun. Its a blast! :thumb:

One has to really pay attention to what you are doing. Its easy to get distracted! :eek:

I love shooting from my V! I have hit gophers on the go at pretty good speeds! I have several shooting methods I have developed.

Does this sound fun to any of you other riders?

#7 ·
Any time you here that, go ahead and call 911 so they can get a jump on the Stupid Stunt.

Ran a call when I was a Firefighter where to drunk Good Old Boys decide to try and shoot skeet off a bike. NO one got killed but the driver got smacked in the head when the shooter try to hit the the skeet. Both were nicely banged up in the crash as I recall and got to ride to the hospital.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the feed back! And no moto I am not in any gang! Ha! Ha!

This is just for fun, I don't do it all the time. No this isn't in the Proficient Motorcycling bible but why not have a little fun with it!

If you don't own a gun, I would guess this thread isn't your cup of tea! :thumb:

My friend on his four wheeler is the best but come on. He can just let go of the handle bars. :thumbdown:

#12 ·
OMG, you guys are gun toting ********? :eek:

So am I... LOL Unfortunately, I don't have anyplace I can do this type of shooting. I have to worry about what's downrange everywhere in my part of the world. No wide open spaces.

#13 ·
Actually, I do not own a gun nor do I have the need for one. I do not hunt and I live in the most boring and safest of towns in Colorado. I do not go to the movies either so I really do not need one. If I wanted to play with a nice piece of engineering I would get a pocket watch. I learned to shoot while in the air force. I had a chance to shoot real guns there. I say to anyone that feel they need to go around shooting things for no purpose. Become a professional and join the armed forces. They pay you to get in shape and you get to play with real guns.

#14 ·
I own some guns, why; because I can. I don't hunt either (nothing against it I just don't). This IS America after all. I enjoy target shooting for the personal challenge. Same as some enjoy throwing a ball through a hoop mounted on a pole or hitting a ball with a stick or running into someone else trying to get by them with a ball in their arms. I have a shooting range on my own land with a backstop to prevent any chance of downrange damage. I also own motorcycles, why; because I can. I'm a life member of the NRA and the AMA. I've been involved in fighting for motorcycling rights at city hall and the county courthouse. You're welcome.

#26 ·
Sure we are in America and you have the right to own a gun. (however, the constitutuin establishes this as the need to establish and maintain an organizaed militia) If you are hunter you surely need the right tools for your sport. Also if you are a sports shooter. Although I do not practice any of the two I believe they are really fantastic sports. Specailly hunting, nothing better than enjoy the outdoors, go out shoot something that tastes good and get to eat it. I personally like deer and elk very much. However, I let others do the killing.

Personally shooting from a moving vehicle is way too dangerous for the rider/driver and potentially to others. It just don't seems right to me. I hope the personal shooting range is isolated enough so it does not endanger others.

BTW In the TV show I saw they put a spring loaded clamp on the handle bars to hold a shotgun so it can be shot with a single hand while riding. Looks like an easy mod for the top of a ram mount. Just make sure it clears the top of the windshield :D

Good luck and have fun.

#16 ·
MTS, I'm curious; are you a left handed shooter or did you just left hand shoot while on the bike? What kind of holster set up did you use? I assume you were using a handgun not a long gun. Have you thought about doing it like the mounted western shooters do, with black powder and balloons. Not as much of a challenge but much safer and you could increase the challenge by increasing speed.

#17 ·
BTW, sorry about taking your thread in a different direction in an earlier post. I just don't like it when someone tells me directly or indirectly that I don't need to or have a right to enjoy target shooting. I was at a public shooting range in Houston before I built my own range and a fellow in the lane next to me was visiting from England. He had rented a gun from the range to shoot but had the nerve to ask me why I thought I needed to own guns. I didn't even answer him but I felt like telling him he should go back to England if he didn't like shooting.

#22 ·
MTS, I'm curious; are you a left handed shooter or did you just left hand shoot while on the bike? What kind of holster set up did you use? I assume you were using a handgun not a long gun. Have you thought about doing it like the mounted western shooters do, with black powder and balloons. Not as much of a challenge but much safer and you could increase the challenge by increasing speed.
MTS, I'm also curious on your set up. I'm just gonna guess that you attach a holster to your handlebars so you can draw and shoot. Sounds like a blast to me.

DennisD no worries! Say whatever you need too! AMERICA! :thumb:

I am right handed with a left dominant eye, but I have come up with some really fun ways to shoot! I have been using a Browning 22 Long Rifle Pistol, Buck Mark, with a outside hip carry Bull Dog Quick Draw. As everyone knows these are very accurate close range and easy to shoot. :thumb: I also believe a person should use the weak hand and get really good at shooting with it. :thumb:

Boricura that is interesting, a handle bar mount, but how would that work?

#18 ·
MTS, I'm also curious on your set up. I'm just gonna guess that you attach a holster to your handlebars so you can draw and shoot. Sounds like a blast to me.

DennisD, are you in the houston area? You built a public range? I'd love to spend more time at the range and am trying to get my wife there also but at the moment I can't really afford range prices plus ammo. Not for the both of us anyway....

#20 ·
LOL While I wax writting the last post I saw on TV a show where they are building a shot gun and a handle bar mount to shoot while riding.

Discovery networks american guns motorcycle shot gun.

The shop in the show is in Denver, CO. About 45 min from my house.

I guess the idea is not as outrageous as I originally thought.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 ·
rumbo75; sorry I didn't make myself more clear. No I didn't build a public range, just the opposite; I built a range for myself (and close friends I can trust) at my weekend place in the woods. Before I built my own I use to go to American Shooting Center at George Bush Park (west Houston). I really hated it there though. I got swept with loaded weapons on more than one occasion by gang banger wanna be types.

MTS; I am a believer in weak hand and non dominant eye practice. At my range I also practice awkward body position shooting (as long as it's safe).

#27 ·
I agree, shooting from a moving vehicle is very dangerous under the wrong conditions and if all proper care is not taken. Thus my comments about not having an area anywhere close to me it could be done. The only way I see it could be safe is if you have lots of desert land and KNOW no one will enter downrange. That's why I brought up the way horse mounted western shooters do it, with black powder and no projectile shooting at balloons.

My range is built of railroad ties. I built a back wall 8' tall using ties stacked three thick with the gaps between walls off set so no bullets could sneak through the cracks. No way anything I shoot is going through that. I even built wings coming off the back wall to avoid a ricochet traveling to the side of the range. Behind my backstop is about a mile or more of thick woods.

#29 ·
Years ago when I had a farm in Eastern Ontario (loads of woodchucks then), after supper I'd put a 30-rd magazine into my Colt AR-15, sling it, then get on my boy's Honda XL 100 or 125 - can't remember which - and gently putt, putt through the fields till I saw a chuck. Stop, hit the kill switch, un-sling, rest the AR across the handlebar cross-brace, take out a chuck.

Loads of fun.

#31 ·
Talked to my buddy and its time to set up the course and practice shooting again! The V is ready! ;) :thumb:

Its so much fun! :D

This year at the end we get off our bikes, draw the 380 unload it, then pull the push knife and drive it into a pumpkin for added Halloween fun! :thumb::thumb:

Really fun watching my buddy jumping off the four wheeler as its still moving! :eek: LOL

Let you know how it goes this year with a report! :thumb: :clap:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

#33 · (Edited)
LOL No gophers this year 22 ammo is almost non-existent. Just targets. Not to brag but last year I shot a huge three point buck gopher! LOL :huh: :clap: :D ;)

We have a lot of fun. The three of us that get together to do this, grew up together as little kids. So we are all like brothers.

#34 ·
any time spent shooting at the range or in the feild is so relaxing.. and from a safety stand point shooting from a V cant be any more dangerous than texting while driving, shooting from a motorcycle, thinking a good event for summer olympics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.