Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Olympia AirGlide 3 Blue

6K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
I live in NJ, and am thinking about buying the Olympia AirGlide 3 jacket as my first riding jacket for spring/summer/fall.

I've got a blue 09 V, and I am wondering if the blue AirGlide matches the blue V. Anyone know? I know it's a shallow question, but who doesn't want to look good.

Side-Bar: Convince me that I should buy a Hi-Viz jacket. I just can't see myself riding with that glaring color. I understand the benefits, but I'm 24 and that is just way out of my style comfort zone.

#2 ·
Regarding hi-viz you said, "I just can't see myself riding with that glaring color." The idea is that OTHERS will see YOU wearing that glaring color. If you truly understand the benefits, I think you'll go this route.

Be seen.

If getting colors to match makes you feel better -- and ensures that you'll wear your gear every time -- go that route.

#3 ·
I don't know, but I do have that jacket, in red, and think it's terrific. With an electric liner, I wear it in all seasons. As for the high-visibility jacket, some of them like First Gear's are looking pretty good. A reason to wear it? You just might live past 24. I know it's deflating, but no one cares what you look like on a bike. Enjoy the ride and machine instead.

#4 · (Edited)
I live in NJ, and am thinking about buying the Olympia AirGlide 3 jacket as my first riding jacket for spring/summer/fall.
Side-Bar: Convince me that I should buy a Hi-Viz jacket. I just can't see myself riding with that glaring color. I understand the benefits, but I'm 24 and that is just way out of my style comfort zone.
I would recommend Mark's Moto Gear (forum member Mark Jags). I just received a pair of Olympia X-Moto pants from him and he was great to deal with and gave me a 10% discount for being a forum member.

At least where I ride I see an increasing amount of Hi Vis gear on the road. It no longer has the WTF factor due to the increasing number of motorcyclists wearing it. The stats I've read say a rider wearing Hi Vis is about 35% less likely to get hit by a car.

After owning a few jackets I've become a big fan of Olympia. There is better stuff to be had if you are not limited by a budget but at the mid price point, most of their gear sells at, it is hard to beat IMO. I find their gear is the lowest price gear I can find that meets my criteria for reasonable abrasion/crash protection and good venting. There is cheaper gear to be found but it all seems to be made of light weight polyester. Cordula is supposedly ~8X more abrasion resistant than polyester.

I own both the Olympia AirGlide 2 (see below) and Olympia AST as well as their X-Moto pants. Primarily use the mesh AirGlide in the heat (>23C). My primary jacket though is the vented Olympia AST. It does not flow air like the mesh AirGlide does but is more versatile and comfortable in the ~23C to ~0C temperature range and also has more abrasion/crash protection. The AST has 2000D Cordura on the strike points while the AirGlide uses 500D. This is really my only concern/criticism of the AirGlide. I've had a ~50ft slide @ ~ 60kph in the heavier Olympia AST jacket. It was a write off afterward but protected me OK. The much heavier 2000D covering the forearm wore through in the pavement slide but the armor provided a second layer of defense. I'm thinking after this experience 500D Cordura on the strike points might be too light for street use.

Attachments

#6 ·
I wear Hi-Vis vests for work so most of my gear is now black which I feel makes the Hi-vis stuff show up better.

Take a look at the sliders brand of mesh gear. They use Kevlar in the abrasion areas and it is reasonably priced.

I just bought a closeout jacket and pants for $179 shipped in silver. Gonna see if silver is actually cooler than black in the summer sun.

Of course Hi-Vis gear negates the bad boy image that attracts girls to motorcyclists. So, if you are already married then get the Hi-Vis gear. If not, then you might have to decide what is more important.

#7 ·
The "style police" will not come to your rescue if you crash.

I know at your age that the Hi-Viz stuff is a bit loud. Heck, I probably wouldn't be too keen on it if it was around when I was your age. But the truth is there is less and less responsibility and focus with non-riders that being seen is one variable we riders can control to a big degree. The judges will tell you: "I'm sorry, your honor, but I didn't see the motorcycle". For me, I have enough passion to ride that I want to see another day on the bike.

I have an Olympia Bushwacker Hi-Viz jacket (if you can wear size medium and like 3/4 length, Amazon still has them for $159), Sliders Hi-Viz gloves, Icon Alliance Hi-Viz helmet. When someone comes out with Hi-Viz mesh pants I'll get that, too. I even have a Hi-Viz Aerostich shirt that reads "Loud Suits Save Lives". Now...if only I can find Hi-Viz boots and undies........

At the very least, might you consider a Hi-Viz vest, like the road workers wear. They are cheap, easy on\off your jacket. Throw it on as the sun sets. Be seen!

Have you seen the AirGlide 3 Toxic? It isn't just loud...it SCREEEEEEMS!!!!

Ok, I'll get off my 2 cent soapbox now....

#13 ·
The "style police" will not come to your rescue if you crash.

I know at your age that the Hi-Viz stuff is a bit loud. Heck, I probably wouldn't be too keen on it if it was around when I was your age. But the truth is there is less and less responsibility and focus with non-riders that being seen is one variable we riders can control to a big degree. The judges will tell you: "I'm sorry, your honor, but I didn't see the motorcycle". For me, I have enough passion to ride that I want to see another day on the bike.

Have you seen the AirGlide 3 Toxic? It isn't just loud...it SCREEEEEEMS!!!!

Ok, I'll get off my 2 cent soapbox now....
Of course they tell the judge they didn't see the 18 wheeler, ambulance, school bus either. :)

As long as you don't get lulled into a false sense of security because you are wearing Hi-Viz. The main thing is that the Judge will shake his head at the defendant when he sees the "toxic" gear you were wearing when the defendant hit you. Just like he would when the defendant says they didn't see the large truck.

#8 ·
In the heat I wear Firstgear Rush Hi Viz.

In the cold, I wear this over my black leather. (Olympia Hi Viz Vest).

I did get some ribbing from my riding friends when I first switched over, but now they are used to it. In traffic, I have work friends who see me half mile away in the dim light... It's doing its job. It's not a coincidence that the highway workers wear these colors... It helps them from being run over by drivers. Actually the bright color yellow grew on me and hope that a few years from now they are still available and not just a fad. There are more cool hi viz apparel now than ever to choose from.

Convince you to wear it? Nope! But the benefits of being seen make sense to me. Is it worth it to you to be seen over your buddies making fun of you? Your choice!

My wife rides her MC with Olympia Airglide Hi viz. People see us.

#10 ·
Same, I wear hi-viz presently and will probably replace my current jacket with another when the time comes.

This might be a reasonable alternative for you...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-t-gp-plus-air-jacket-closeout

Though I, too, would recommend the brightest yellow/orange you can stand, I think at least 50% of the people that wouldn't see you in black would see you in this. If you're willing to play the odds on not wearing yellow, I'd personally buy this one in the blue. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.