Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Rainex and anti fog

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  stagehand38 
#1 ·
Just wanted to pass this on. I've been using anti fog spray (inside of the visor) and Rainex (outside of the visor) these last few days commuting in the sometimes very heavy rain at about 10C/50F. The Rainex causes the rain to bead and blow off the shield, you never need to raise a hand to wipe the shield and this is in a heavy down poor. The anti fog spray works well to too to prevent fogging. The only thing is I find I need to reapply coatings daily for optimum performance.

#7 ·
Any decent sporting goods store will have it. Firefighters use it inside their SCBAs to prevent fogging. If it works in those conditions it will work anywhere.

#8 ·
One thing to try for fogging visors is a breathmask for your helmet. It redirects the exhaled breath to the vents of your helmet and stops it from going up to the visor.

I have one for my HJC helmet and it was like 5 dollars. Tested and vetted from 50 degrees to 28 degrees Farenheit. On the visor outside I use Endust multi purpose. Helps with the bug guts and rain also.

One thing to note your Versys has a great anti-rain ability if you have a 2011. Just tuck your body down into the tank and look straight through the windshield. The airflow coming off the windshield will direct the rain straight down the front of your visor and stream it right off.

Thanks for sharing your products I may give them a try as I love finding out new ways to solve some annoyances with riding in the wet.

#10 · (Edited)
Check with manufacturers....From what I have read Rain-x is not safe for polycarbs.
Glass only! Chemical reaction with the plastics could cause them to become brittle and lose there stopping power and lead to shattering with no stopping power.
i will try to track down the source of the claim...but got to run now...It's working time again.

EDIT!
Rain-x website says....rain-x glass treatment is NOT safe for plastics!

#14 ·
I have two products here, one is the rainx which has the warning about appling to plastics and the rain repellant which does not have a warning about plastic. I have used the repellant on my visor not because its safer more because it does not say i can't apply so thats my logic.

#15 ·
I've been using Rain-X on windshields for years, and then I tried it on my Jeep's plastic windows. A couple of years later I unzipped the window, folded it back, and it broke right in half(!). It was then that I found articles warning people that it made some plastics brittle.

I now use Plexus on my face shield, sun glasses, plastic windshields, and Jeep windows. Works as well as Rain-X but without the side affects.

#16 ·
FYI......about a year ago I found a product that I believe is made in Great Britain.
Lost the Info and searching now...( I believe i got the info from a cross reference that lead to another bike forum).
Anyway.....this 'other' product was allegedly safe for 'plastics' with the performance of rainX....

stay tuned for more info if my search is successful.

#17 · (Edited)
FOUND IT! and it's called..."raincoat"
http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=49
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/raincoat-water-repellent/
http://www.aerostich.com/raincoat.html
...and here's what they say about RAINCOAT (they also make "Fogtech" anti fogging ...stuff!
Both available from "Aerostich.com" 6 bucks us dollars

Raincoat has been 5 years in development, and is designed specifically to create a robust hydrophobic coating on your visor or shield, causing water to bead up and run off quickly.

Unlike some other popularly used products we know motorcyclists like to use (designed for Glass windscreens), it won't degrade the anti-shatter properties of plastic visors and it also contains no quick-fix, gone in a moment slippery silicone!

We've tested this product extensively through our own riding, our team of daily distance volunteers and the coaches at the California Superbike School.

All the feedback and experience we've gleaned has been excellent. Riding with a half treated/untreated visor really shows just how much water this product can shift with a little windblast!

Supplied in this kit are 5 sachets, applicator pad and buffing cloth for optimum results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.