Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By RobMontana
  • 1 Post By crankshaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
400 conversion

the 300 versys is a very nice bike but it would be awesome with a 25,% power boost. has anyone heard if it is possible to transplant a 400 ninja engine in the sweet little 300.i am asking because i may be able to get such a donor engine but if its known to be impossible i will pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Interesting, not sure such a job undertaken so far, maybe others will chip in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm sure you can make a determination by looking at the mounting points of the two engines.

Are you going to get the throttle bodies and ECU and all the other bits to do a complete conversion? If you get everything you need and then find out that it won't fit, I'm sure you can resell for someone wanted to do a cart or fit one in a KLR frame.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I'm sure you can make a determination by looking at the mounting points of the two engines.

Are you going to get the throttle bodies and ECU and all the other bits to do a complete conversion? If you get everything you need and then find out that it won't fit, I'm sure you can resell for someone wanted to do a cart or fit one in a KLR frame.
It would definitely reduce the KLR's weight, AND produce about 10 HP MORE!!!
Tcruarceri likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 02:15 PM

There is a less than scientific photo comparison in this article of the size of the 300 vs 400 motor. Looks like the head is slightly larger, and the sump is longer and wider. Dropping one of these into a X-300 or KLR frame sounds like a great project, good luck!

Ninja 400 Article

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdaddy View Post
the 300 versys is a very nice bike but it would be awesome with a 25,% power boost. has anyone heard if it is possible to transplant a 400 ninja engine in the sweet little 300.i am asking because i may be able to get such a donor engine but if its known to be impossible i will pass.
The 300 is great as is! Its not a racing bike. It will do 100 mph. But you shouldn’t be going that fast, ever. It is light, fun, and versatile!
A 400 motor will get you 5 or 6 more horsepower and add a few pounds. Makes no sense to me to do all that work for little practical gains. Yeah you may go a little faster but speed limits on the streets negate that. And off-road I’ll take the lighter 300.
TexH and east10icn like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:27 PM

The 400 motor does not fit in the frame - it's completely different.
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 PM

If you happen to need any details or measurements from the Ninja 400, I have one. You might need to @ me or email me since I’m fairly infrequent in visiting this forum.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I had my local kawasaki mechanic compare the two engines and would require a lot of fabrication so she shall remain a 300 for her lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode