Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Holy Helmets!

7K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  tommyt37 
#1 · (Edited)
So I haven't bought a helmet since 2004.... yeah yeah I know it's old. I will be searching the forum later on but wanna ask a question for input right now! :feedback:

I was hoping to find a flip up helmet with drop down sun visor for both my wife and myself. Gonna buy on line would like to keep it at 200 bucks per helmet. I would like to get a helemt that I can but head phones in but I know that costs allot more (guessing)
So any advice out there? My old HJC flip up needs to go! :yeahsmile: I would like to buy at newenough.com I know they changed there name. Funny I fond my picture there from 2004 the day I rode home my first bike a Vulcan Meanstreak... still got it and love it. Now my wife is getting a 2009 Versys (shhh don't tell her I will be putting a few miles on it myself!!!)after I sold her old honda dual sport when she was prego 3.5 years ago...I promised her a bike just had to wait a it.

There are so many out there hard to figure it out .Wife is willing to not have a flip up helemt so may just get her a non modular one. Any help would be appriciated!

#3 ·
I have an HJC IS-MAX-BT modular helmet. Comfortable but feels a little cheap. Matches my Voyager and Versys though.

I picked up a Bell Revolver modular Helmet on clearance around Christmas for under $100. Solid helmet, well made. A little on the round side which might be find for some but not so great for me. I thought it was going to be oval like the Bell Star I bought last summer.

Now, the Bell Star is a great helmet if you want air flow and a helmet that is aerodynamic. Motorcyclecloseouts.com has some for around $200. Not modular though.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the Nolan N90 Modular with a Scala Rider Q2. I'm extremly happy with the nolan.Before the nolan i had an Scorpion EX-900 modular with the scala rider q2. The nolan is my favorite between the two. But i believe the helmet in the $220.00 range.

#7 ·
Haven't had an issue with my HJC-is-16 yet, flipl down sun visor, excellent ventillation and alot quieter than my old Vega

#9 ·
#10 ·
my $.02 is that every helmet fits everyone a little differently. Can you try some on at a store and then order them online? Maybe if you find one online you like for the right price, you can see if the shop will match the price? That way you'll support local business and you won't have to wait for shipping...

I don't think I could ever buy a helmet without trying it on first. I wanna make sure it's not pushing on any weird places too much and that my glasses fit comfortably.

#17 · (Edited)
I can't say I'm a big fan of modular helmets as they come with a few trade offs. For starters they are heavier, bulkier, usually noisier, have a less precise fit and don't usually meet the more stringent ECE 22.05 and Snell M2010 safety requirements. I ended up with a good quality (Arai) FF helmet with an optional tinted visor I use frequently (highly recommend this option - works better than a separate drop down visor - swapping visors takes maybe 60 seconds with practice). Great venting and when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day I just ride with the visor up to get wind in my face.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

#18 ·
...with an optional tinted visor I use frequently (highly recommend this option - works better than a separate drop down visor - swapping visors takes maybe 60 seconds with practice).
The value of a flip down visor comes in being able to swap a clear view for a tinted view on the fly. If you ride where there are tunnels or where the terrain is variably forested and open or into the sun, being able to go "flip" right now is a great advantage. No stopping, even for 60 seconds, and you can't leave your other visor at home. I doubt I'd buy another helmet without a flip down visor.

#20 ·
The flip down visor is great for the exact reason Bones gave. I have the HJC IS 16 and just bought the $50 Gorilla modular from Kapsco (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18655&highlight=helmet+deal) Both have flip down tint shields. The HJC is a better over all helmet for quality and noise, but the Gorilla's flip down visor comes down lower and sits closer to the face making it a better sun shield.

The Gorilla is my first modular helmet, and I'm really liking it a lot. I think I'll be wearing modular lids from now on.

#24 · (Edited)
That's a good point... the sun visor mechanism makes the helmet a little bigger but I'm not sure if the system weight would be a problem. Or maybe takes out some foam making the helmet a little less secure (I'm not sure about this... I'm just guessing)... But as far as I can see, PRO helmets don't have those sun visors.
There's no perfect things, maybe that's why I own three helmets and I want my fourth... ;) my Caberg Hyper-X has a great clear visor... you can see everywhere, my old Modular HJC a lot of cushion, very comfortable but it's a little heavy and my Scorpion EXO 1000 fits very tight...

#26 ·
Sorry Bones

Thought you were talking about the Scorpion Modular......

#27 ·
#31 ·
I also checked at the HJC Symax III... it's lightweight and the modular mechanism is soft to operate. Nice helmet but HJC should think in some other more interesting colors or combinations... it only available in Black, silver and white.

#32 ·
Just rode with a buddy last weekend. He used to have a Nolan N103 like I usually wear and he showed up with an HJC Symax III. I asked how he liked it and said he did not (noisy, feels cheap in terms of fit and finish compared to the Nolan, not the same shape as his head). He says he wishes he'd spent a little extra for another Nolan.

Comes down to whatever you like, whatever fits your noggin, and whatever fits your budget.

#33 ·
It is good to hear from folks who has been wearing a helmet... a quick look at the store for a helmet is not enough, but I also read a review on web bike world and they post good comments about that Symax III. Anyway, thanks for the advice... As I said before, I think my next purchase will be a Shoei Qwest; it's not modular and no sun visor but good comments from most of the riders.

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
I just got one from revzilla. They have a long video on it there.

Total $584.09
TeamZilla Cash Earned $25.00

I have been using an HJC Flip-up but wanted one with a collar for noise reduction. I like the flip down sunvisor. I couldn't figure out how to mount my Cardo G4 using the clamp, so I used the adhesive mount.

#37 ·
I'll add my endorsement to the previous posts about not buying a helmet without knowing how it fits.

While it is logical that different brands might not fit the same...I've found that there are differences within the same brand. While I usually wear an X Large full-face Shoei helmet...I recently found that I wear a Large when I tried on Shoei's new 3/4 RJ Platinum and Neotech flip-up.

#38 ·
Agreed i tried a scorpion on and it was a XXl then a shoei and it was a L i think I may have found a dealer that has Nolans gonna ride up today and check it out. I will probably buy from Revzilla as they allow 1 return with free shipping for an exchange.

#41 ·
Ya I want to get one I just rode 30 minutes to a dealer and they didn't have jack for inventory.... they had one medium nolan n90 and that was it. Almost all places aroujnd here sucked gonna have to do it on line an hope for the best. I am betting XL or L gonna go XL.

#42 ·
If you were in the Eugene area, I'd let you try on mine. If it helps, I had an XL from Bilt (Cycle Gear brand) and my Nolan is an XL. The Nolan fits a little more snugly than the Bilt which I like.

Oh, plus living in the chilly Northwest, you'll dig the pinlock visor that comes with the Nolan too!

#45 ·
Well I bought a GMAX 54 today. Was wanting a NOLAN N90 but went with GMAX for 2 reasons. I couldn't find a N90 to try on and I needed to buy 2 helmets one for wife and me. I did try the GMAX on and it felt nice. It has a very dark drop down sun visor more dark then many others I have seen. Price was 135 free shipping. Will let you know how it goes. I like the fact I can buy a wireless brake light kit for 30 bucks then the build in LED on the rear of the helmet will come on whenn I brake. wonder how long the batteries will last?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.