Turn Signal Relocation Left Two Holes? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Turn Signal Relocation Left Two Holes?

I just added Givi sidecases and racks to my 2010 Versys and I had to move the rear turn signals to the provided bracket. The stock tail section now has two small, but gaping holes where the turn signals were originally located. I have read lots of threads about the installation of the racks, but I couldn't find any mention of a cosmetic fix for the holes if one wants to retain the stock tail plastic.
I'd appreciate some suggestions or sharing of pictures if you managed to find a cosmetically appealing way to plug those holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

My rack came with plastic plugs for those holes.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Help still needed

I started this thread back in July, and only got a response from MarcII, who told me that his rack kit from GIVI included plugs. Since then I have been corresponding with customer service at Twisted Throttle, from whom I purchased the racks and cases. They tell me that GIVI doesn't know anything about plastic plugs to cover the holes left by the rear turn-signal relocation. Perhaps MarcII had an older model Versys (pre-2010).
Twisted Throttle wants a part number. If anyone on this forum has the GIVI top case (mine is the V46) along with the V35 side cases (PLXR 450 racks), please let me know if your set-up (especially for a 2010 Versys) came with plugs to cover the hole left by the turn-signal relocation. Do the plugs have a part number on them?
In the mean time, frustrated by GIVI's response and not wanting the holes in the under-tail, I fabricated some plates out of aluminum, glued them to the under-tail, and applied reflective tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0014.JPG (127.9 KB, 144 views)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 AM

I used two identical plastic offcuts cut to fit the holes inside and out when I mounted some mini indicators. The stems/nuts clamped them aginst the inner/outer holes. You could simpley bond togther to achieve the same effect.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 PM

For the pre-2010 kit, the PLX447 relocation brackets cover the original holes, as per the installation instructions

http://www.itlcanada.com/internal2/i.../076plx447.pdf

For the 2010, the instructions appear to have nothing which cover the holes
http://www.givi.it/attachfile/conten...an_plxr450.pdf

I think that's an oversight on Givi's part, but it would appear that they intended to leave the holes open.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM

Arrow

To fix this problem with the leftover holes on a 2010+ you will need:

2x turn signal washers (Kawasaki P/N #92200-0165)
2x 8mm stainless steel locknuts
2x red rear reflectors removed during the installation of the side racks with 8mm nuts still in position

To install:

Remove the tail bracket assembly for ease of installation
Drill the holes in the washers to fit the shafts of the reflectors
Secure the reflector to the hole using the washer and locknut
(don't tighten too much or you may damage the reflector's mounting post)

The radius of the reflector is sufficient to fit flat against the plastic, the shafts of the reflectors are just long enough for a secure mount, it covers the hole completely, and makes it look like it was designed that way.

Total cost? <$6 for the 4 pieces of hardware not already in possession and about 30 minutes of installation time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just fitted a Givi set for a friend and givi doest not provide covers for the original signal mounting points. You need to retrofit something there to cover the holes-some plastics or metal piece.

The reflector is a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode