2016 Versys 650 Fender Eliminator Choices? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2016 Versys 650 Fender Eliminator Choices?

Hi All,

Just got my 2016 Versys 650 a little over a week ago and really love it. I had the 1st generation one which I bought in 2008 and I'm amazed how much better this 3rd generation one is, especially when it comes to addressing the issues the 1st generation model had with wind buffeting and engine vibration.

But, the biggest downside, IMO, of this latest version is the rear fender. It just seems larger and uglier than ever.

I did some searching around on the web and could only find two fender eliminator options out there, neither of which seems like great choices. See below.

R&G Racing Fender Eliminator Kawasaki Versys 650 2015-2016
R&G Racing Fender Eliminator Kawasaki Versys 650 2015-2016 - RevZilla

Targa Tail Kit Fender Eliminator for Versys 650 10-15
Targa Tail Kit Fender Eliminator for Versys 650 10-15 - SoloMotoParts.com

I had my local moto dealer contact Yoshimura and he found out that they don't have any plans to make a kit for the 15/16 models. Too bad, as I really like the one they made for the 14 and before model years.

So, my question is... Have any of you who have the 2015 or 2016 model found a decent, quality fender eliminator kit out there?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi Invader,

Not sure if they'd fit. I have a friend who owns a 2013 Versys so maybe I can take a look at his rear fender mounting set up and see if the bracket and screw hole locations are the same.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id just make my own or get a universal one of ebay for i think it was $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Motorcyc...RWeDAW&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Fender...xRIGzG&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rugged-Real-...SbcL5A&vxp=mtr

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 01-13-2016 at 12:29 AM.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:20 AM

the rear fender is definitely longer on the 3 generation 650. I did get a different rear spool stand .The old stand would interfere with the fender on my 2015. I really didn't look that hard but the 2008 rear fender looked like the mounting was different than the 2015.

Last edited by turn8a; 01-13-2016 at 06:23 AM.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
the rear fender is definitely longer on the 3 generation 650. I did get a different rear spool stand .The old stand would interfere with the fender on my 2015. I really didn't look that hard but the 2008 rear fender looked like the mounting was different than the 2015.
I had gotten an rear (slim) Pyramid fender extender earlier to stop cat-tail spray tracks up my back. So I got a Pitbull side-rear stand to eliminate even worrying about the rear fender obstruction with a stand. It gives a couple of extra feet rear-access around the bike compared to a rear-access rear-stand

onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I had gotten an rear (slim) Pyramid fender extender earlier to stop cat-tail spray tracks up my back. So I got a Pitbull side-rear stand to eliminate even worrying about the rear fender obstruction with a stand. It gives a couple of extra feet rear-access around the bike compared to a rear-access rear-stand

That is the exact stand I went with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (17.5 KB, 1965 views)
kawdog likes this.

Last edited by turn8a; 01-13-2016 at 08:23 AM.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 AM

Hacksaw just to the bottom of the license plate bracket touch up with file and sand paper done. Cost 0
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Hacksaw just to the bottom of the license plate bracket touch up with file and sand paper done. Cost 0
use tin snips and you dont have to sand it
andyversystheworld likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:33 PM

I got this one. Not sure if it can be bought outside of germany though. Kennzeichenhalter Kawasaki Versys650/ABS, LE650E [AT-LE650E-KH06] - 99,00? : alpha Technik - Vom Rennsport auf die Strasse, Onlineshop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys7.jpg (393.6 KB, 2008 views)
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to add that I never had an 'interference' issue w/ my H-F rear stand on the GREEN HORNET (an '09), but I DO have an issue on my GREEN HORNET TOO, 2015, (caught my right thumb several times......)so, for that reason I MIGHT cut back the fender a bit....
turn8a likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
That is the exact stand I went with.
I didn't think there were any other side-rear stands, but who knows: there could be. I really like mine. When my shop does not use their hydraulic air lift stands, they use the HD pitbull stands for quick jobs if their station lifts are occupied with long term jobs.

The side-rear stand makes any maintenance around the rear wheel easier, especially if the rear wheel is removed. I think is was a good deal for the side-rear stand considering the alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbort View Post
Hi All,

Just got my 2016 Versys 650 a little over a week ago and really love it.

But, the biggest downside, IMO, of this latest version is the rear fender. It just seems larger and uglier than ever.
As far as the rear fenderless racing option, there may be a lot of (rooster-tail) cleaning for the commuter in exchange for the racer looks. They do look sporty though. Tell us how it works out.
turn8a likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-14-2016 at 04:17 PM.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:06 AM

I know it's off-topic, but since some others have brought it up, I use a Venom rear stand that is long enough to clear the rear fender on my 2012 and cost me less than $40 on eBay. Pitbull stands are definitely well-made and heavy duty but are also much more expensive than mine which seems to work just as well. I have used mine to remove the rear wheel as well as other maintenance tasks and it has done it's job. Just food for thought IMHO.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1452863163.357588.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
thechosen2196 likes this.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
I know it's off-topic, but since some others have brought it up, I use a Venom rear stand that is long enough to clear the rear fender on my 2012 and cost me less than $40 on eBay. Pitbull stands are definitely well-made and heavy duty but are also much more expensive than mine which seems to work just as well. I have used mine to remove the rear wheel as well as other maintenance tasks and it has done it's job. Just food for thought IMHO.
Attachment 78521

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You are correct.I use a hf rear stand on my 2008. But the rear fender is longer and interferes with hf stand on the 2015. I bought a pit bull stand off of craigslist for $80.00 used.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
You are correct.I use a hf rear stand on my 2008. But the rear fender is longer and interferes with hf stand on the 2015. I bought a pit bull stand off of craigslist for $80.00 used.
Wow! If that was the side-rear stand, you lucky dog. That's half price for an in-demand model. Good job. Just one bike-drop can pay for almost any Pitbull stand brand new.

All I saw in the LA area were old model pitbull stands, for more than you paid; but LA craigslist area is picked over pretty good. You can get real good deals only if you grab them 5 minutes after they originally post (it takes constant vigilance which is not free.)
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Wow! If that was the side-rear stand, you lucky dog. That's half price for an in-demand model. Good job. Just one bike-drop can pay for almost any Pitbull stand brand new.

All I saw in the LA area were old model pitbull stands, for more than you paid; but LA craigslist area is picked over pretty good. You can get real good deals only if you grab them 5 minutes after they originally post (it takes constant vigilance which is not free.)
The guy I bought the stand from just traded an almost new Yamaha
fz9 in on a brand new Harley and just wanted it gone. A couple days earlier I bought an almost new givi mono lock top case for $40.00 off of craigslist.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambow View Post
Looks nice. Wish they sold them here. Are the aftermarket turn signals good quality and bright?
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
use tin snips and you dont have to sand it
The problem is that the the part from the license plate up is actually the ugliest IMO. I may just give the R&G a shot and see how it turns out.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Would this one work?

Edge2 Tail Light [Universal]
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 12:39 PM

Here is a bracket I drew up. It mounts to the four bolts in the tail using the OEM bolts and user supplied nuts. I'm still waiting on quotes. It has be bent using a sheet metal bend/brake along the two red lines but it's totally up to the end user; some people like them "tucked" away but it's illegal in some places. The license plate mounts on the bracket using the bracket that's on the stock fender. In case y'all didn't know, the red reflectors are a separate pieces that you can take off. I plan on buying a tail light that has the turn signals built in to clean up the look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket_jpeg.jpg (17.3 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg bracket_stock.jpg (8.7 KB, 349 views)
BigJake likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2016 versys 650, fender eliminator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode