Garmin RV 760LMT on a Motorcycle - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garmin RV 760LMT on a Motorcycle

Having played with my iPhone 6 as a sat nav on my 650 using Google Maps I found that it was not really usable as Google puts two big bars top and bottom meaning that the screen is now tiny.

Will briefly revert to my old Zumo 660 to give that a try but was wondering if anybody had tried the Garmin RV 7560LMT on a motorcycle. I do not expect to be using it in the rain (it only rains in defined seasons here and I avoid riding in the rain as the entire Cambodian population goes crazy on the roads) so my only worry is vibration and dust.

The RV 760LMT has a 7 inch diagonal screen and is nice and cheap. The Zumo 660 has a 4.2 diagonal inch screen.

I came across a site which offered a motorcycle mount ( Garmin dezl/RV 760LMT, nuvi 2797LMT Locking Cradle ? TECHMOUNTS ? GA61L ? Morrison Motorcycle Mounts & More ) so obviously someone has done it but that may just be on cruisers on gentle roads.

I thought of using the BMW Navigator V which has a 6 inch screen but that is expensive and not sure about the power connections.

Thoughts please....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 AM

I have used several of the Garmin GPS designed for cars on motorcycles. They all failed because the power connection on the back broke on the circuit board due to vibration.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I've been using the Garmin Nuvi 550 on each of my Vs, MANY years, many miles. Waterproof (they stay on the bike while I power-wash it), but smaller than the ones you mentioned, and LESS than $200 each when I bought them.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 12:04 AM

I've used Garmin Nuvi 3790 for about 8 years on several bikes with no problems at all. I cover it with a zip lock bag when it rains. Works fine for me with 1 exception - it won't pair with my Sena. That's my only complaint.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 AM

I did a postmortem on my failed Garmin Nuvis. They all failed at the same spot, where the power connection was soldered to the circuit board. I can't complain because I don't think I paid more than $100 for any of them. None of them failed because of water damage even though I never took any precautions to waterproof them even in the rain.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I had been using a Garmin Nuvi 2797 LMT (7-inch screen) for over a year on my Valkyrie and will be using it on my new Versys.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I recently sold my late model garmin to just use my phone. Phone screen is exact same size as large screen garmin, 5", but has much sharper screen. You can buy Garmin software and maps for your phone for $50. Its still probably the best GPS software.

Recommend Google with cached maps or Here Maps.

I've had issues with the mini USB power plugs on my GPS units. The phone uses a micro USB plug which is more reliable.

RAM x mount is very secure for phone while Being very easy to get phone in/out of.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-10-2016 at 12:11 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I use an X-Grip clone I purchased on Amazon. Replaced the mirror mount ball with a flat surface mounted ball attached to an SW-Motech GPS mount plate. Although it is a RAM clone, RAM mounting balls and extenders fit it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	78113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode