Mirror hack: goo and screw - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirror hack: goo and screw

This post is presented for your entertainment and perhaps amusement. It is not intended to be advice or a recommendation. If you laugh at my clumsy engineering, I won't be offended.

The problems with the stock mirrors have been aired on this forum since the Versys was new. I never had that much trouble with vibration, but about 10 minutes on the highway at 70 mph would move the mirrors out of adjustment. (The right one was always worse than the left, leaving me with a fine view of the middle of my chest after even a short highway run.) I tried tightening the interior nut, but like others, I found the fix was fleeting, if that. I know, I know: The solution is just to buy the Aprilia mirrors. Naturally, I didn't do anything so sensible.

First I bought some cheap mirrors online, and that solved the movement problem. I was able to tighten them down and they stayed put. But because they were cheap, after a few years the paint peeled off and the fastener rusted and they never did look great to begin with. I took them off and reinstalled the stock mirrors, thinking that would be a temporary measure until I bought something new. Then I started thinking (danger!) and decided to apply some hillbilly engineering (it's OK, I can say that; I'm from West Virginia) to the problem.

I had half a tube of JB Weld so I thought that maybe if I slathered some of that on the place where the mirror stem enters the base, it would prevent the stem from rotating in the base, which is what lets the mirror get out of position. Actually, that worked just fine on the left mirror, but not the right one.

So then I pulled out the drill and the bit I use for drilling parts for safety wire. I made sure the mirror was adjusted where I wanted it and then I drilled a tiny hole through the base and into the stem, put in a tiny screw and clipped off the head. Basically, it's like a set screw. No wind is going to make that mirror move now.

In the photo, you can see what I'm describing, including the JB Weld that didn't solve the problem on this mirror, but did on the other.

The rubber boot covers up both the JB Weld and the screw. Go ahead and laugh. It works. It was free.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Don't put yourself down. It works better than what the Kawasaki engineers came up with.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Added to my list of things to do this winter! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:54 AM

Garage
The OEM mirrors are the best mirrors on any bike I have ever owned
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well rats, did I jump to the wrong conclusion when I read the title of your post.

That was my first mistake. The second was replacing my OEM mirrors with KTM Super Duke mirrors and not Aprilia. BTW, the KTM items are great in the event you ever decide to "improve" upon the now no longer startling goo and screw technique.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i did the same thing with mine but got sick of seeing nothing but my shoulders so i put the ones i had on my sv650ss on due to them being wider

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patillas View Post
Added to my list of things to do this winter! Thanks for sharing
Putting in the screw probably took me all of 10 minutes, so you may need to look for additional winter projects. I shouldn't have even bothered trying the JB Weld.

Downside is I can't change the position of that mirror now (except for the small adjustment at the mirror itself), but the alternative was buying a new one anyway, and that's the same now.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.

Last edited by motociclista; 01-02-2016 at 07:28 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Well rats, did I jump to the wrong conclusion when I read the title of your post.
I can't imagine how you might have misconstrued my title. I tried the goo and then I tried the screw. What could you have possibly been thinking? Total innocence on my part.

onewizard likes this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
The OEM mirrors are the best mirrors on any bike I have ever owned
What generation is your V, Mav...?

(The gen 1 mirrors ARE terrible!)
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What generation is your V, Mav...?

(The gen 1 mirrors ARE terrible!)

BTW the V is the most modern bike I ever owned, my history is trail bikes and much older road bikes.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Garage
"So then I pulled out the drill and the bit I use for drilling parts for safety wire. I made sure the mirror was adjusted where I wanted it and then I drilled a tiny hole through the base and into the stem, put in a tiny screw and clipped off the head. Basically, it's like a set screw. No wind is going to make that mirror move now."

Why not make it a set screw? Tap a hole in the base only, and use a set screw (aka grub screw), then you have a removable set-up?

Just a friendly suggestion.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

BTW the V is the most modern bike I ever owned, my history is trail bikes and much older road bikes.
This explains alot !!!

LOP
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM

Wow my left side mirror vibrates more than my right,
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Common. Mine does too and I have Aprilia Tuono mirrors.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM

I have Aprilia mirrors and they would vibrate and buzz like crazy (So annoying!!!).

I took silicon and filled the gap between the mirror glass and the plastic housing; this completely eliminated the buzz and vibration! (My left was definitely worse than my right too)

Even made a little video about it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uMnUTS0GS4
p.s. the video is longer and sillier than it needs to be... but I made it at like 2am one night.

enjoy.
onewizard likes this.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...

Last edited by GiantAntCowboy; 01-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
my guess is left moves more due to your hand being on the right side more?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
my guess is left moves more due to your hand being on the right side more?
I bet its more related to the right side having the brake fluid reservoir and throttle tube setup to absorb vibes.

Just a guess though...
silviefox likes this.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
MINE too (see below...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Common. Mine does too and I have Aprilia Tuono mirrors.
But, for ME, the Aprilia mirror on the right does NOT loosen up and slowly spin around like the OEM mirror...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
MINE too (see below...).

But, for ME, the Aprilia mirror on the right does NOT loosen up and slowly spin around like the OEM mirror...!
My Aprilia mirrors have never come loose. The glass in them did start to rattle around, which I fixed with that Sugo wonder stuff.
Previously my oem mirrors shook so badly that the left side mirror fell right out on the road.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Why not make it a set screw? Tap a hole in the base only, and use a set screw (aka grub screw), then you have a removable set-up?

Just a friendly suggestion.
It was a spur-of-the-moment thing and I used what I had on hand. There are a lot of ways it could have been done better. I figured if I screwed up my mirror (pun may or may not be intended) I'd have to buy another one. And if I didn't fix the mirror, I'd have to buy another one. So I didn't have much to lose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode