This post is presented for your entertainment and perhaps amusement. It is not intended to be advice or a recommendation. If you laugh at my clumsy engineering, I won't be offended.
The problems with the stock mirrors have been aired on this forum since the Versys was new
. I never had that much trouble with vibration, but about 10 minutes on the highway at 70 mph would move the mirrors out of adjustment. (The right one was always worse than the left, leaving me with a fine view of the middle of my chest after even a short highway run.) I tried tightening the interior nut, but like others, I found the fix was fleeting, if that. I know, I know: The solution is just to buy the Aprilia mirrors
. Naturally, I didn't do anything so sensible.
First I bought some cheap mirrors online, and that solved the movement problem. I was able to tighten them down and they stayed put. But because they were cheap, after a few years the paint peeled off and the fastener rusted and they never did look great to begin with. I took them off and reinstalled the stock mirrors, thinking that would be a temporary measure until I bought something new. Then I started thinking (danger!) and decided to apply some hillbilly engineering (it's OK, I can say that; I'm from West Virginia) to the problem.
I had half a tube of JB Weld so I thought that maybe if I slathered some of that on the place where the mirror stem enters the base, it would prevent the stem from rotating in the base, which is what lets the mirror get out of position. Actually, that worked just fine on the left mirror, but not the right one.
So then I pulled out the drill and the bit I use for drilling parts for safety wire. I made sure the mirror was adjusted where I wanted it and then I drilled a tiny hole through the base and into the stem, put in a tiny screw and clipped off the head. Basically, it's like a set screw. No wind is going to make that mirror move now.
In the photo, you can see what I'm describing, including the JB Weld that didn't solve the problem on this mirror, but did on the other.
The rubber boot covers up both the JB Weld and the screw. Go ahead and laugh. It works. It was free.