Amazing Bluetooth Connectivity - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Amazing Bluetooth Connectivity

Yesterday I start my bike and my Zumo turns on, it then informs me it has connected to my Chatterbox XBi and my Blackberry automatically, seconds later my Charrterbox XBi connects to my ipod and starts playing music; as I was riding home listening to my ipod my wife called my cell, I knew it was my wife because I looked at the Zumo and it said "Home Calling", my Zumo routed the call to my Chatterbox XBi which muted the music from my ipod. After talking to her for a few minutes she asked when I was leaving the office and I informed her I was already on route 84 riding at about 70 MPH heading home, she had NO IDEA I was on the bike!!!! She asked me to stop by a friends house and gave me the address.

When the call was over the Zumo hung up and my Chatterbox resumed my ipod music. I stopped for gas and punched in the address for the Zumo to route me there. Every so often the Zumo would send directions to my Chatterbox, which would mute my ipod music and give me the next turn directions, resuming my music automatically.

I needed to call my wife to confirm the time I would be there, so while at a stop light on the Zumo I hit the phone button and the "call home" button, the light turned green so I moved off and was riding when my XBi muted the music and I heard my phone ringing and my son pick up. We chatted a bit, hung up and my music resumed!

All this without ONE FREAKING WIRE and with the Blackberry and ipod in my top case! What is more amazing is that from the Zumo I have full access to every number in my phonebook, I can call any number without ever even seeing the phone.

Oh and last night I realized the Podcasts I listen to are in MP3 format, so I loaded a few Podcasts onto my SD card on the Zumo, so this morning I listened to a few Podcasts from the Zumo to my Chatterbox directly, instead of via the ipod as a test, worked perfectly, load and crystal clear, although not in stereo, so I prefer using the ipod, however it is a nice back up to have some Poadcasts and music on the Zumo in case I forget my ipod or the battery runs down. (Using BT on the ipod eats the battery fast)

This Bluetooth stuff is amazing. Now, I know a lot of us do not want the distraction of a phone call or even music, but it sure is nice to be able to take or make calls IF YOU WANT TO, without having to stop, take gear off, etc and the fact that no one can tell you are on a bike going down the highway is just amazing.

Being wireless and able to here music, Podcasts and directions is double amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 AM

What ipod are you using to blutooth the music?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

I have an ipod touch with OS4, BT came available in OS3, OS4 added BT with volume control.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 AM

According to Cnet, OS 4.1 is supposed to add AVRCP functions, so we will be able to change tracks through BT....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
According to Cnet, OS 4.1 is supposed to add AVRCP functions, so we will be able to change tracks through BT....
That would be cool, but to be honest, I just shuffle anyway when riding. But if it is free then why not.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Went to 4.1 last night. Saw your post and gave it a try. No luck. I have a Sennheiser BT device with an Iphone3g.

There is an APP called BT Helper that can be used to get around this.

Anyone esle get this working? Mabe it is just me.

Vic
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM

err...what iz a Zumo?

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
err...what iz a Zumo?
Seriously?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
Went to 4.1 last night. Saw your post and gave it a try. No luck. I have a Sennheiser BT device with an Iphone3g.

There is an APP called BT Helper that can be used to get around this.

Anyone esle get this working? Mabe it is just me.

Vic
Unless you're a developer, you don't have 4.1 yet.....4.01 rolled out in the last couple of days though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 PM
DBL

I just ordered this last night. The video is what sold me on it.

http://www.bluetechguy.com/proddetai...FYZi2godjApNkQ

I have a Sprint phone not an iPod so am not worried about the remote functions. My phone works just fine with my Altec Lansing Back Beat BT stereo headset but it's not comfortable and will not fit under my helmet. I rode from San Antonio to Hutto (about 100 miles) using some cheap ear buds and they sounded just fine over the wind and engine so this thing should sound even better. I will test it out next week when it shows up and report back.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 PM

Gotcha, My bad. Guess it was me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode