Anyone with a Corbin (or other brands) seat? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone with a Corbin (or other brands) seat?

I have very much enjoyed Corbin seats in the past on a few bikes. My previous bike was a '99 Concours and I had Corbin cut the passenger "step" 2.5" closer to the front. It felt great and was a perfect fit. The stock Concours seat was just a horrible blob of foam, so it didn't matter how it was cut, you wouldn't slide on a blob of foam.
So I need to know if the Corbin default cut is the same as the stock cut. If it is, then I'd go only about 1-1.5" closer.
Also need to know if the height changes much compared to the stock seat. I am 6'0" if it matters. I like the tallness of the 2015 Versys, so I don't want to lose any of that.
Considering my above questions, if you have any other brands (Sargent?) that might suit me, that'd be appreciated. I love the firmness of the Corbin, so that's my first choice, but open to suggestions.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Squishman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:12 PM

I am 6'1" and like the Seat concepts foam and cover.It Adds extra height as well especially in the front so you dont slide into the tank.
Squishman and scutrbrau like this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamBkm View Post
Your post isn't quite clear to me. May be that I'm not feeling well, BUT. . . The part I did follow and that I can tell you with 100% accuracy is, DO NOT BUY A SARGENT for the V.
The stock seat sucked, slid you against the tank and would make a Vegas "working girl" sore in no time. So I bought the Sargent (only because I had a big ride coming up and didn't have time to order the Corbin). Slide was instantly better but, within 30 min on the bike, my lower back felt like I was kicked by a mule! I finally bought seat beads from Walmart and it was manageable (not recommended, turns your seat into a slip and slide).
All I can say is, either go with a Russel or a Corbin. Saddlemen would be my go to if they made one, but they don't.

I've heard many horror stories about Sargent, I got impatient. Now I'm sharing mine. Do not buy the $385 Sargent!

Hell, do not buy it if it's on sale for $3.85!!!!

Clear?

Hope so.
Really?? I happen to love my Sargent's seat...I've ridden for 4+ hours with no complaint...for sliding around in the seat..I would suggest Techspec seat covers..same company that makes the tank grips...

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I went through 7 seat on my Versys....Save some time and money get the Seat Concepts..
Squishman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Weljo or Motojunkee, can you tell me about the comparison between Seat Concepts and Corbin for firmness, if you are familiar with Corbin? Corbin is pretty firm. Some folks call it hard, but to me it's great.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:28 PM

I can not Judge a corbin on the versys, As I have not tried one on it. I have ridden on Corbin seats before on other motorcycles, I think the seat concepts may be as firm or almost close.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Weljo or Motojunkee, can you tell me about the comparison between Seat Concepts and Corbin for firmness, if you are familiar with Corbin? Corbin is pretty firm. Some folks call it hard, but to me it's great.

For me the Corbin was the worst seat on the Versys. It was heavy had a weird shape was lower and was hard not firm. The Seat Concepts got rid of the forward slide sat slightly higher and you can get firmer foam for it if you want.
Squishman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
For me the Corbin was the worst seat on the Versys. It was heavy had a weird shape was lower and was hard not firm. The Seat Concepts got rid of the forward slide sat slightly higher and you can get firmer foam for it if you want.
"lower" is not good! Corbin is out if it's lower.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Heres a couple of the ones i still have photos of.....Baldwin Tall Leather ... Very Pricey https://flic.kr/s/aHsjLCQhdk & Terry Adcock Flat Seat.. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjA9uTtY

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-29-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Seat Concepts.....https://flic.kr/p/kCmRf8
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:30 PM.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamBkm View Post
As I said, I could MANAGE with the beads but, they made it slick.

Here's the question... SHOULD YOU have to spend 1 cent more for any such cover when you have already spent ~$400 on the seat? I think not.

OH, and to the OP, IF you ride 2 up, your pillion will HATE you if you buy the Sargent. It MAY have 3/4" of padding for the p.

All of my statements pertaining to the absolute HORRIBLE seat are if you ride more than short distances. We (2up) ride several tanks at a time, some of which was pushing the limits of skill and technique. Also, to be fair, and honest, we recently sold the V.
Actually, I ride alone 99+% of the time. I agree with you on a cover. The seat should be sufficient. But it is really hard to buy one when you don't know what you are going to get. And to send my seat pan to Seat Concepts, can't do that! Then I couldn't go back to stock if I hate it. I do not hate the stock seat like I hated my Concours seat. So I will wait until I know what I am getting with the various aftermarket seat makers. Your guys' input has been very helpful and appreciated.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Actually, I ride alone 99+% of the time. I agree with you on a cover. The seat should be sufficient. But it is really hard to buy one when you don't know what you are going to get. And to send my seat pan to Seat Concepts, can't do that! Then I couldn't go back to stock if I hate it. I do not hate the stock seat like I hated my Concours seat. So I will wait until I know what I am getting with the various aftermarket seat makers. Your guys' input has been very helpful and appreciated.

Decent price with free shipping...Minor tears so use this one for the Seat Concepts and keep your stock.2011 10 11 12 13 Kawasaki Versys 650 KLE650 Seat Rider Driver Passenger Pad B118 | eBay

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 PM

I have no experience with the Versys Sargent or Corbin so I can't comment on them but I do have a SC seat. I agree with the others, the SC seat eliminates the forward slide, it is a little taller than stock and a little firmer than stock. After about 20 minutes of riding on the stock seat my butt bones started to feel it. I can ride on the SC seat for hours without even thinking about the seat.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
"lower" is not good! Corbin is out if it's lower.
Nice thing about Corbin, it will make it anyway you request it. They have to make a default seat to give people a starting point.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
And to send my seat pan to Seat Concepts, can't do that! Then I couldn't go back to stock if I hate it.
Sure you can. I didn't send my seat pan to them. I fitted the foam and cover myself - it's pretty simple - and if for some reason I ever wanted to go back to stock I could put the original foam and cover back on the seat pan again.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutrbrau View Post
Sure you can. I didn't send my seat pan to them. I fitted the foam and cover myself - it's pretty simple - and if for some reason I ever wanted to go back to stock I could put the original foam and cover back on the seat pan again.
Oh, well that's definitely cool! This does change everything.
How does your install hold up? As good as if they installed it? Is all that you need is a decent stapler?

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered the foam and cover from Seat Concepts. I selected more firm than standard. Thanks everyone who piped up with comments to help me decide!
I won't be riding until March or April, so looking forward to that.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Oh, well that's definitely cool! This does change everything.
How does your install hold up? As good as if they installed it? Is all that you need is a decent stapler?

Heavy Duty stapler or take it by an upholstery shop and see what they will charge to do it. Shouldn't be too much.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode