Givi E21 or V35? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi E21 or V35?

Hi all I am the new guy here and have a few questions about hard bags for my 09....
I have narrowed my search to the Givi E21's or the V35's. I really like the V35's but not sure I need that big of a bag (The longest trip I would do would be a weekend) and it is sort of out of the realm of what I want to spend on a set of bags. On the other hand, I do not want to "under buy" and find out that I should have bought the V35's. I plan on just running the side bags WITHOUT a top case.

Here are my questions:
- Can someone measure the width of the V21's that are mounted on the bike.
- Can someone measure the width of the V35's that are mounted on the bike.
- Will the color matched OEM inserts fit on the V35's
- Is there a better rack system that can be used with the 21's or 35's

If you have the V21's or V35's please let me know what you think. Any advice and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 AM

I have the V35's. I haven't used the E21's, but in my experience, you will always want a bigger bag. This is especially true if you run without a top case. I've always used a top case on mine, so I can't comment on using just the side bags alone.

The odd shape of the V35's can make getting some items into it difficult (say, a large helmet). And the racks are specific to those bags, so if you wanted to upgrade to the E41's later, you would be out of luck.

Given that you're not sure what you need, I would get a set up that provides for more flexibility (either now or later down the road). That would mean getting the PL447 Givi racks, the SW-MOTECH racks, or the Happy-Trails racks that work with standard GIVI bags. That way, you could try out the E21's and if you didn't like them, you could then sell them and try out other options (larger Givi's, Pelican cases, etc) without having to buy new racks.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 AM

if you plan on getting diferent bags don't get the plx racks, they only work with the v35 bags that have the different shaped insides.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 AM

For the width, you can look at this thread (Givi Bags - E21 or V35?).

If I had to do it over again, I'd get the PL447 Givi racks, since I already had the Givi top rack. That would allow me to upgrade my cases later on if I wanted to.

For examples, see this thread. The E21 / E36 / E45 all use the same rack. Based on those threads, the width of the bike with the E45's is about the same as the V35's.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 AM

The E21's are a perfect size for commuting, and could be easily used for a weekend if you're not camping.....throw a big dry bag across the back seat and then you have enough room for camping/cooking gear. I did a 5 day trip last year with my E21's, a JC Whitney medium size trunk and a dry bag....with room to spare.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
The odd shape of the V35's can make getting some items into it difficult (say, a large helmet). And the racks are specific to those bags, so if you wanted to upgrade to the E41's later, you would be out of luck.

Dave C
I also have the V35 and I CAN'T fit my shoei RF-1100 XL in it
Even have a Givi helmet (X.01 ... should fit in the box since Givi says it can hold a full face) AND for that one, I have to fiddle a long f***g while to get it in (an I suspect that the case is not closing very tightely and probably not weather proof then )
Other wise, their great and even if they have a "odd" shape, you can put some stuff in those "odd" space

My two cents ...

Good luck

LOP
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM

The V35s look nice on the bike. But you loose flexibility.

This is my usually setup. And works fine for an overnight trip.

I have a large dry bag I will throw on the seat if I need more clothing for a longer trip. Or I need to carry more cold weather gear.

And then I have the big trip option. (dry bag shown in this pick as well)

I might use this setup maybe once a year. This was taken after a tour of the Marker's Mark brewery, so the hard bags were packed to the gills with bourbon!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM

I don't like the 35's, they made my bike look like it had a very fat A$$.
e-21's are nice, you can easily retro the 35 racks to the 21's if you don't like the 21's you can do either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmahorney View Post
I don't like the 35's, they made my bike look like it had a very fat A$$.
Hey you be quiet! I have worked longa and hard telling my bike she does not have a fat ass!

The V35's are a wide setup. I usually just run the top case to make it easier getting between cars in the driveway and garage.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:41 AM

I have the E21's and love them. I take weekend trips from VA to NJ pretty regularly without a problem. I can put three changes of clothing, flip flops, sneakers and my bag with tooth brush, deoderant,etc in one bag. Then I put a bottle of water, tools, emergency supplies, etc in the other bag. Never had an issue with storage space. Only time I would have a problem is if I had to bring something extra with me or back, but you can just get an expensive bag to throw on the backseat and strap down.

Mike
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM

i chose the v35 setup, I have yet to use it because they won't be here till tomorrow. I figured it was money well spent if i needed the extra space for one trip. I don't plan on putting on a trunk because i don't like the look of it.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM

I went with the E21's as it's a commuter bike and not for touring. One problem I have with those is just getting my laptop with a backpack in one of them. My old laptop had a 14" screen and with the back pack only having the power adapter & a few other small things, it would just barely fit. The backpack is not that thick either.

Upgraded to a 15.4" laptop, and in the same backpack, it does not fit in a side case without really putting some pressure on the lid. That seems to be the real limit of putting a rectangle object in there :-)

IMHO, the E21's are thin compared to the other models. You can open the lid and the side case flexes a lot to me. When I first got them, I had a broken handle on top. The inside of the strap looks like it was made with roofing flashing. That's the only way I can describe it. It had broke inside and had to get a replacement.

Not really trying to knock the bags, I just don't feel like the E21's warrant the price for the quality and if I had it to do over again, would go with something bigger and a little more solid feeling.

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great feed back. I am leaning toward the E21's but need to look at a set in person first.

I sure would like to option to go to V35's if I realized I made a mistake with the 21's...

Thanks again all!

Rob

Last edited by r60us; 07-12-2010 at 04:57 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Buy once- get the V35's. I have them for commuting to work. (not just touring) They are very handy. I fit my 15.4" Macbook Pro in there, my medium Shoei RF-1000 helmet, lunch, water- what ever. It is not always about what you expect to carry, but also what you don't expect. The V35's have a lot of room- don't have to apologize for lack of space compared to the E21's.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
FSM

Buddy, i was in the same dilemma, but a few members shared their setup with me....and I ended up with a TRUNK....the Maxim 52, and I couldn't be happier.....also, you have more space to maneuver is you have to split or just to get out of tight places....
And honestly it doesn't look half bad....but then again, IMO is all about functionality.

Also, the extra space is just great....and you will want more trust me.

My two cents.

F.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
djg

We have a Givi distributor in Minneapolis. I went to buy the Givi E21s, they are really small compared to the other Givi sidebags. I did buy them, but I will be buying a larger pair also in the future, E41s probably.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I went to the the distributor in Minneapolis yesterday (Midwest Cycle) to look at the 21's and 35's. They had the 21's but did not have the 35's... (They told me they had them). Anyway, the 21's were too small for me so I looked at the E36's. The E36's were just about right.

So... Being that they did not have what I wanted and It would take two plus weeks to get a set, I came home and ordered a set of Happy Trail Teton 33L bags. Here is a link to the bags on their bike:

http://www.happy-trail.com/ZoomImage...IT-2008-VERSYS

Last edited by r60us; 07-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Bit of a threadjack, but...

Divergent but related. Is Givi planning on expanding the PLX line? Seems a waste of dev/manufacturing time to come up with a new mounting system for only one case.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r60us View Post
So... Being that they did not have what I wanted and It would take two plus weeks to get a set, I came home and ordered a set of Happy Trail Teton 33L bags. Here is a link to the bags on their bike:

http://www.happy-trail.com/ZoomImage...IT-2008-VERSYS
Since your all for functionality over style, why not mount ammo cans on the bike?? They are $10 a pop at the gun shows.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Since your all for functionality over style, why not mount ammo cans on the bike?? They are $10 a pop at the gun shows.

I was thinking about that but they are a bit too small. I am rolling in style!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode