Acerbis Guards with Light Unit - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Acerbis Guards with Light Unit

Put these on a couple of weeks ago and am quite happy. PITA to get the light unit to set properly, but all worked out. Pics also show my aux. light and the recently replaced Aprilla knockoff mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB061407.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	75657   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB061410.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	75665   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB061409.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	75673  

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like the look of those, do you feel they are strong enough to withstand bumping into things without breaking the lights easily? Would be really cool to wire them somehow to your directional's so they blink in conjunction with the corresponding turn signal.. not sure if that's possible though .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Ron, that is exactly what they do. The first pic is with the blinker not on, and the next two are shots I got were when the emergency signal was on for both of them when they were lit up. These are a lot more sturdy than what I thought they were going to be. This Dual Road model only attaches to the bar end , and has a metal frame for that area. Hope I don't have to test them, but given the fact that I have had a couple of driveway and parking lot drops, you never know. I've attached a shot looking over the throttle at the back of the guard. It also showcases those wonderful Grip Buddies I put on. I also attached two pics taken within a second of each other, one with the blinkers off, and one with them on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB061408.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	75689   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB061411.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	75697   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB061412.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	75705  

rayj

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
This Dual Road model only attaches to the bar end , and has a metal frame for that area.
Generally in the industry, attached on ONE end is Hand SHIELDS (for street or trail riding) and at BOTH ends is Hand GUARDS. Hand Shields should work fine and they were what I was going to get. Bur after spraining my wrist that took 6+ weeks to heal, I got the Hand GUARDS. Thank goodness a lot of experts here already had an AL racing Handguard already picked out (for $127 complete on fleabay including all brackets and flashing blinker lights on hand cover.)

Thanks Again guys! (including Fast Eddie Handguards was next accessory in importance after tall windscreen, crash bar, rear rack, and dual horns
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
did you have to fabricate your own connections to the stock lighting or do they include connectors? I think you mentioned it was a bit fiddlely...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
did you have to fabricate your own connections to the stock lighting or do they include connectors? I think you mentioned it was a bit fiddlely...
They came with no wire connections of any sort, and one of our learned souls suggested I do a thorough soldering job, and another mentioned that I should use the Posi-Tap connectors, which I had used to wire my Admore lights on the tail. I ordered some 18 -20 wire guage taps and connected them just to the inside of the disconnect clip for the turn signals so as not to have to remove the wiring when taking off the turn signal plastic fairing. I think these (Posi-Tap) connectors are one of the best inventions, and can't believe that none of the local or national auto parts, hardware or big box stores carry them. Amazon saves the day, and free 2 day delivery using my brides Prime account.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Posi tap pic.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	75737  

rayj
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
They came with no wire connections of any sort, and one of our learned souls suggested I do a thorough soldering job, and another mentioned that I should use the Posi-Tap connectors
You're welcome
Quote:
I think these (Posi-Tap) connectors are one of the best inventions, and can't believe that none of the local or national auto parts, hardware or big box stores carry them.
Agreed I could not find them anywhere locally I get mine off ebay
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I was remiss in not giving names of the learned souls. Thank you Fasteddie for the soldering suggestion, and a big THANKS to MaverickAus for the Posi-Tap suggestion. BTW, I found that the turn signal wiring was probably around an 18, but the hand guard was around a 24 or 26 gauge. I just doubled up the wire on the insert end of the tap, and was prepared to insert some "filler" wire if that was not enough to get a bite and a seal. I did tidy up with electric tape and made a waterproof shroud for the area in which the cap of the tap might be subject to the elements.

rayj
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
I was remiss in not giving names of the learned souls. Thank you Fasteddie for the soldering suggestion, and a big THANKS to MaverickAus for the Posi-Tap suggestion. BTW, I found that the turn signal wiring was probably around an 18, but the hand guard was around a 24 or 26 gauge. I just doubled up the wire on the insert end of the tap, and was prepared to insert some "filler" wire if that was not enough to get a bite and a seal. I did tidy up with electric tape and made a waterproof shroud for the area in which the cap of the tap might be subject to the elements.
You are VERY for any help I was able to give...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode