Got a Drift Ghost S - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got a Drift Ghost S

I tricked the wife into letting me buy a waterproof camera/ videocamera for our "honeymoon" (or my motorcycle if you ask me). I (we) got a drift Ghost S and it is awesome, however i need to do some more testing with it. My first ride was with it on the bars and with no mic, so the wind noise was crazy and the video was a bit shaky from time to time. I have a helmet mount, but with a modular helmet not sure how i want to mount it. Also I am having a bit of trouble with the editing part of it too. This will come in time i am sure, but i hope to have some videos up before the end of the year. My biggest mistake was buying a 128GB card, and apparently it only takes up to a 64GB card (why i don't know).
Either way i can't to get to playing with this thing. Amazon has some great packages, but what i noticed is that the mounts they offer in the big packages which we got are kinda shotty. i didn't really trust them to hold together, but the ghost s comes with a handful of mounts that are solid so i will be using those. I am looking forward to sharing the videos when i feel they are worth looking at.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I thought the 128GB card was going to be too big. Make sure you use a class 10 card. The helmet mount will work the best. I use modulars helmets also on my Nolan N91 i could mount it on the side and with the face of the helmet pulled up i could still video what i was looking at. On my Nolan N104 with it mounted on the side when you lift the face of the helmet up the camera goes up with it. The best thing is to sit at the computer with your helmet on hold the camera to your helmet in different positions while recording. Then view what you recorded to get the best spot to mount.

here its mounted to the Nolan N91 which you can see its not on the movable chin guard.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Heres its mounted to the Nolan N104 attached to the movable chin guard.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thats where i was looking to mount it. Here is a link to a pic of my helmet.

http://www.jafrum.com/assets/images/...lar-Helmet.jpg

Nice thing about the ghost S is the rotatable lens that lets you mount at off angles and still have a level shot. That and the fact i can use wifi to my phone and it lets me see what the camera is seeing make it so much easier to do correctly.

Joe you use iMovie correct? Any tips?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Yeah thats where i was looking to mount it. Here is a link to a pic of my helmet.

http://www.jafrum.com/assets/images/...lar-Helmet.jpg

Nice thing about the ghost S is the rotatable lens that lets you mount at off angles and still have a level shot. That and the fact i can use wifi to my phone and it lets me see what the camera is seeing make it so much easier to do correctly.

Joe you use iMovie correct? Any tips?

I like IMovie but the earlier versions were so much easier like IMovie 9 & 10. Just go to your preferences and make sure your at 1080 or the highest it will allow. Other than that its just playing around with it to see what you like.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:20 PM

Awesome camera. Mine has been dropped at speed having leaving it on the tank bag, in all sorts of environments and it mounts in seconds. I have shelved the GoPro Hero 4. Pain in the ass to install on the bike frame needing elbow joints. Too much vibration and the battery life is pants. Hence I have put it up for sale to buy another Ghost S. Drift has the occasional bug which is a quick fix with a battery removal.

With all the benefits of the Drift, not sure why so many buy the GP. Must be a following!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:33 PM
BKP

Garage
Good luck with the Ghost S.
I have two HD Ghosts (predecessor to the S), and I'm relatively happy with them... there are one or two quirks (one being that ridiculous oversized wrist remote, and another that the buttons are tougher to manipulate when you have your lid on, than my Hero).
Video results are very good... I have a few vids posted on YouTube under bkp100, done with the Ghost (if you happen to take a look, make sure your resolution setting <the gear icon in the youtube window> is set to high res... otherwise, you won't see the quality of the cam). I don't vlog, rather I set most of the rides to music... I use Corel Photo Video suite for editing.
Mounts are very similar locations to the pics above. I'm much happier with the profile of the cam than than the Hero which is like a brick hanging off your lid.
All in all, very good choice for a cam.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]

Last edited by BKP; 11-07-2015 at 11:38 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
put your mic sensitivity to the lowest setting. drift put insane sensitive mics in there cams

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Good luck with the Ghost S.
I have two HD Ghosts (predecessor to the S), and I'm relatively happy with them... there are one or two quirks (one being that ridiculous oversized wrist remote, and another that the buttons are tougher to manipulate when you have your lid on, than my Hero).
Video results are very good... I have a few vids posted on YouTube under bkp100, done with the Ghost (if you happen to take a look, make sure your resolution setting <the gear icon in the youtube window> is set to high res... otherwise, you won't see the quality of the cam). I don't vlog, rather I set most of the rides to music... I use Corel Photo Video suite for editing.
Mounts are very similar locations to the pics above. I'm much happier with the profile of the cam than than the Hero which is like a brick hanging off your lid.
All in all, very good choice for a cam.

heres my remote set-up...

Or This........

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode