Green Light Trigger - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Green Light Trigger

Has anyone had any success w/ this device, I installed one this past weekend and I'm still waiting for the light to change?? www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html didn't cost much, however I don't like being sold snake oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:53 PM

I hit the starter button..... seems to work. I dunno.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

It's suppose to trigger the traffic light like a car or truck w/ some metal mass would, doesn't work on my intersection.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 PM

I put one on about a week ago. The few lights that I know I won't trigger, so far I've always had a car come up behind me so I don't know if the product works just yet.

Even the product does not promise 100% but maybe a 80% increase in triggering. From what I read I think the product is legit but not perfect.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Many lights work from pressure switches located under the asphalt. At least here in NC. It's normally located about 2 feet back from the white line at the stop. Sometimes you can see a square cut made from where the road crews have replaced or repaired the sensor. This could be why you have to wait for cars to come up behind you. The weight of the vehicle triggers it. I have turned around and motioned people to pull forward in an effort to get them to trigger the light. I'd return it if you could.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM

There was a big discussion about these things recently on the V-Strom e-list. Their experience echoes mine, which is that most green-light triggers do not work. Most triggers are essentially large inductive loops embedded in asphalt. Large metal objects interrupt the loop and trigger the light to change. Many bikes do not have enough metal mass or are not close enough to the ground to break the loop. My Duc usually triggers lights but the Versys less so, I think mainly because the Versys sits higher off the ground.

Some riders suggest stopping on the line in the asphalt at one of the corners, since apparently that is the most sensitive area in the loop. My experience with this technique is hit-and-miss. From reading about lopps years ago, I have found that weaving (right-left-right or left-right-left) as I come across the embedded loop usually triggers it regardless of the bike. Weaving increases the likelihood of the bike interrupting the loop. Unfortunately, this technique is not practicable in all situations.

Suffice to say that I would not spend money on any green-light trigger device.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 AM

Here's a DIY version (I haven't tried it - so I can't vouch for it).

If the nothing else, the discussions are funny.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Trig...raffic-Lights/
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 AM

I tried one ,it does not work,so save the money for something else

AMA EAA STN
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscalf View Post
Has anyone had any success w/ this device, I installed one this past weekend and I'm still waiting for the light to change?? www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html didn't cost much, however I don't like being sold snake oil.
the green light guarantee 30 days or your money back but your out shipping costs...

my solution is go right and make a U turn... or run it if - I wait 1 and a 1/2 cycles or go a different way (that works if you know the problem lights) ...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 AM

I would suggest looking over your individual state motorcycle licensing manual. It should tell you about the red light situation and what you should do to better cause the light to turn. It may also let you realize that triggers are not worth the cost. Unless of course it's free.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Also depends on how your lights are triggered...If they are running the induction loops, there are different styles. Some are discussed here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

There are also video systems that can trigger the lights, too.

The trouble with the magnets is the field strength drops as the cube of distance...which is a fancy way to say drops very fast! So with the versys setting so high, and the induction wire buried below the street, you have very little of the magnetic field getting down there.

Corey
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
I hit the starter button..... seems to work. I dunno.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 PM

Will hitting the start button while the engine is running ruin the teeth of the starter gear?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Will hitting the start button while the engine is running ruin the teeth of the starter gear?

No, it doesn't even engage. You just hear the motor spin up, the headlight will dim. I used it quite a bit yesterday, seems to work great most of the time. Just pull up on the sensor line and hit the button real quick once or twice.

Luke
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Just like Motorbum said. Check your local laws. In some cities/states, if you wait for a certain amount of time with no light change you are allowed to run it. I'm sure if you called the local PD they would tell you what is ok or not. I personally have talked to a couple of policeman and they said that they would not issue a citation if you had been waiting for a long time. Of course that is here in Oklahoma........ I'm sure it depends not only on your location but the cop who sees you do it. (if you get caught)

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 AM

I made a special cheap bracket under my bike that puts the Green Light low do the ground so that if the magnet hit something the bracket would just pivot back and up easily.

So far I know of two lights that always give me trouble but every time I've pulled up to them since the bracket modification, other cars have pulled behind me, so I don't know if it made a difference yet.

Their ad says it won't work on all lights, not all magnets do the trick, you must pull over the sensors at a low rate of speed before stopping and their product must face down and be low. So I'll wait and see what happens at those lights.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 AM

You could call your local, county, state DOT, and report the light doesn't trigger with bikes. The generally will fix it, because they are supposed to be sensitive enough to trigger with bikes.

I would certainly do this for a light that was just outside my hood.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 AM

I always have this problem, especially during day light hours, night time the light seems to trigger it. I don't even wait for one turn, if it does not turn green when it should like in a car I am off! I am always seeing people on bicycles sitting there in the middle of the road waiting for the light to change for them to turn, or even motorcycles who sit through 3 or more cycles, man they must have a lot of time to waste! Of course the police do not expect you to sit there for 10 minutes waiting, just use it as a stop sign, stop, check if clear, then go.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM

On my Magna, letting it sit on the sidestand will usually work... Not on the V though... I walk over and push the ped-x-ing button. Works every time!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Unfortunately we have red light cameras here and they are very unforgiving. The courts apparently won't even discuss the circumstances and I doubt that those systems are setup to take into account how long the light has been red. I have had pretty good luck stopping on top of the vertical line of the inductive coils. As long as I have both wheels on it the light changes. The problem is on roads that have been repaved and the lines are no longer visible.

I guess you just have to use your best judgement, but look out for those damn red light cameras!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode