Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CamBkm
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Valve cap PSI indicators

Are there any good ones out there? From looking at the 1 out of 5 star comments on Amazon, they all look like they leak!

I knew it was too good to be true, ha ha.

A rotating red light on my wheels would have been cool, but I hear that doesn't work, just like the leaky caps don't give proper indications: good concept though IF it worked. I guess too many moving parts with variable air/rubber interfaces getting slung around the wheel constantly may be impossible to calibrate (for $3 per set of 4 anyway.)

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM

kawdog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I tried one of these.....Amazon.com: TireGard (13-315U) Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor System: Automotive

It was a waste of money...

kawdog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Wow, looks like a safety accident ready to happen. I wonder how those Mercedes Benz and BMW's with automatic air fill's are working. Oh well, THANKS!!

I guess Joe's bent AL Curvy Girl's air valve stems are the most leak proof and ergonomic solution around

Last edited by kawdog; 10-15-2015 at 03:16 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Wow, looks like a safety accident ready to happen. I wonder how those Mercedes Benz and BMW's with automatic air fill's are working. Oh well, THANKS!!
Their not recommended to use with rubber valve stems. I had some steel ones put on and really hoped the TPMS would do the trick but it just wasn't so.
kawdog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Not recommended-Safety issues.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Their not recommended to use with rubber valve stems. I had some steel ones put on and really hoped the TPMS would do the trick but it just wasn't so.
I bought a TPMS kit which worked fine however having to remove the sensors to pump up the tyres was a PITA so I removed them. They had a tiny grub screw holding them onto the valve stem and trying to remove it and put it back on at the servo was frustrating. Also the sensors were quite heavy and no doubt threw off the wheel balance.
So in closing if you had your own compressor, had solid valves (not rubber) and balanced the wheels after you fitted them they would probably be fine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Doran TPMS system on my Voyager. You have the choice of putting the sensor on the valve stem or internal on the special valve stem that comes with the system. The monitor hard wires into the bike. Works very well.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 AM

I've used those little turkey timer pressure indicators on cars before. never actually had one leak but did have them stop working after a few years.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
internal on the special valve stem that comes with the system.
I like that idea
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Ever watch a trucker check his tires? He walks around w/ a rubber-mallet and hits each tire, looking for a different "thunk" indicating low pressure. I checked my pressures, set them correctly, than hit them to see what a correct "thump" felt like.

NOW, before each ride I hit the tires, and every couple of weeks check them w/ a tire-gauge, filling as necessary.

Works for me....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Are there any good ones out there? From looking at the 1 out of 5 star comments on Amazon, they all look like they leak!

I knew it was too good to be true, ha ha.

A rotating red light on my wheels would have been cool, but I hear that doesn't work, just like the leaky caps don't give proper indications: good concept though IF it worked. I guess too many moving parts with variable air/rubber interfaces getting slung around the wheel constantly may be impossible to calibrate (for $3 per set of 4 anyway.)

TIA!
If you're looking at after market valves I would look at the 90 degree valve stems. I had these on my previous motorcycle and they make filling and checking the tires a LOT easier and quicker. When mounting they should point to the right as the bike leans to the left on the side stand.

As an example - 90 Degree Motorcycle Blue Valve Stems Tire 10mm Pair 11 3mm Suzuki GS GSX GSXR | eBay - you can find these in any color you want on EBay.

I used these in conjunction with a cheap 12V air pump that reads tire pressure.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-19-2015 at 12:19 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If you're looking at after market valves I would look at the 90 degree valve stems. I had these on my previous motorcycle and they make filling and checking the tires a LOT easier and quicker. When mounting they should point to the right as the bike leans to the left on the side stand.

As an example - 90 Degree Motorcycle Blue Valve Stems Tire 10mm Pair 11 3mm Suzuki GS GSX GSXR | eBay - you can find these in any color you want on EBay.

I used these in conjunction with a cheap 12V air pump that reads tire pressure.
Thanks, I've got Kurvey Girls bent air valves, but saw the indicators and thought it would be good if it held air. I also wanted the spinning lights that some psi indicators have (that doesn't work also.) Air is going to leak no matter what, so any interface other than metal to metal clamping rubber is going to leak faster.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
as i recall you can get wireless ones that get installed inside the rim or on/replace the valve stem but im not 100% sure

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode