Cheap LED light bar install on '15 650. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Cheap LED light bar install on '15 650.

Here's a quick post because I keep forgetting. Pics are succinct and at bottom.

This light mounts high, and is partially (10%?) obstructed by the front fairing. This is a pretty stealth install.

I tried this with two lights.

First two smaller 3" 'spot' lights, these were wobbly and I wanted moar powar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And finally a 9" 'spot' light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I considered the Opt7 8" bar, but it had mounts on the lightbar-ends. I'm outta time so one of y'all can mess with that. You could mount a 30" bar with longer UBolts, but a double-stacked bar may have clearance issues.

To mount I used either a 1/2" or 3/4" U bolt from Lowes. I slipped a piece of foam around the bar but I think I crushed it to death. I also cut off one leg with the dremel. Short leg is (one nut + stock large nut as spacer) long. Buy extra nuts, I bought 8. Buy 4 larger nuts too, I had extra on hand.

The mount:
- The UBolt has two legs, one short and one long.
- The short leg will have a big nut pressing against the flat bar, and a small nut to torque everything.
- The long leg will have four nuts. A big nut pressing against the flat bar, and a small nut to torque everything. Then one on the end to prevent the light from falling off (This goes inside of the light), and finally a nut in the middle. This nut will be tightened 'down' to provide crushing force on the light unit. Trapping it between two nuts and crushing the aluminum housing a bit.
- See my picture, the leg is a little too long. It fits though. You can 'lower' the light on the threads and have it poke out a bit lower on the bike.

- Mount and fasten both U bolts to the bike's lower chin bar. Slide the light unit on from the left, and then refasten the side cover on.
- Tighten bolts on light housing. Make sure both sides are even.
- Adjust light pitch and tighten bolts. In the evening you'll need to check and retighten to lock in the aim.

This light doesn't throw much farther than my LED OPT7 H7 high beam. It puts out a lot of light directly in front of the bike, and may help illuminate things like signs that are very far away. I'm not super happy about this light, I would prefer something that throws 2-3x farther than the high beam, but that may be unrealistic. This isn't great for riding in pitch black as the light throws a lot on the ground up to 15' from the bike. My dark windscreen covers this space so I'm okay.

Gallery is here: http://imgur.com/a/YdS2U
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2617.jpg (38.8 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2644.jpg (43.1 KB, 345 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode