So, I was changing the oil today... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blazblu82

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, I was changing the oil today...

So, I was changing the oil today and my Dad gets his wind deflectors out for his bike. He had bought them before he traded his '04 Nomad for his newer '09 Kaw 1700 LT. Well, they didn't fit. Upon further inspection, it appeared they would fit my '11 Versys 650.

Once I got done with the oil change, I unscrewed the mirrors and low and behold, they fit! They are made by National Cycle and are simply wind deflectors for the hands. They don't look bad and kinda match the wind screen in a sense. Dad said they were $80.

Here's a couple pics I took plus a pic of the packaging they came in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_1_800x600.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	73953   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_2_800x600.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	73961   Click image for larger version

Name:	nat_cycle_800x600.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	73969  
kawdog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should comment on the deflectors a bit. The install was straight forward and simple. Simply remove the mirrors and the brackets mount to the mirror mounts. The deflectors themselves are quite large, but fall short of the bar end weights in length. I could not have them any closer w/o hitting the fairings at full lock. I image a couple of washers would raise them enough; or, mount them between top mirror nut and shaft.

I took a short ride up to 55 MPH and the deflection is there, but I still feel air grazing the top of my hands. I would imagine the deflection would be better if they were mounted higher. May have to try that before work tomorrow.

Anyhoot, it's another option for our bikes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:30 PM

A few light coats of smoke lens spray paint, and those would look great. Am I seeing a slight convexity to those, or are they flat?

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
A few light coats of smoke lens spray paint, and those would look great. Am I seeing a slight convexity to those, or are they flat?
Your eyes are not lying. They are convex.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Drove in some wind today. Noticed the bike struggled more than usual. More than likely the deflectors catching some wind throwing the bike around a bit.

I hadnt thought about smoking them out. Sounds like a project for this weekend!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM

That's nice! Those are Lexan and indestructible. They DO come in tinted colors I believe. Now if they weren't $90, but they do have the nice curve shape with no holes. Good find! I think they are as good as you can get, and finally glad someone found they do fit our bikes
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
That's nice! Those are Lexan and indestructible. They DO come in tinted colors I believe. Now if they weren't $90, but they do have the nice curve shape with no holes. Good find! I think they are as good as you can get, and finally glad someone found they do fit our bikes
I don't doubt the lexan pieces are indestructible. It's the plastic hardware and thin brackets that'll fail first.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
I don't doubt the lexan pieces are indestructible. It's the plastic hardware and thin brackets that'll fail first.
You are right. You have to look at all hardware for everything you get unfortunately. But I've got handguards behind them structurally (I hope they fit!), and my Givi screen is also polycarbonate: so I have bullet proof protection on most of my upper body. Those hand shields kind of complete most of the fairing puzzle in wind and upper body protection.

And I've got my leather knee chaps and knee guards for slip stream efficiency and rock protection below: so it's starting to all come together now. Thanks! People look at my leather knee chaps and knee guards like I'm a cop. I don't mind that but motorcycle cops in LA drive around in short sleeve shirts like squids
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of failing, lost a plastic screw, cap nut, and rubber o-ring that holds the left deflector on the way home. Honestly, I don't think these things offer any wind deflection at all. I rode home in 50 something temps w/o gloves and my hands still got cold. I bet they are too far away. I'll have to experiment this weekend. I guess for now, they come off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Speaking of failing, lost a plastic screw, cap nut, and rubber o-ring that holds the left deflector on the way home. Honestly, I don't think these things offer any wind deflection at all. I rode home in 50 something temps w/o gloves and my hands still got cold. I bet they are too far away. I'll have to experiment this weekend. I guess for now, they come off.
Yeah, I lose little hardware all the time. It's what I spend the most time working on anything is finding stuff I drop.

Don't give up! You probably need McMaster Carr hardware anyway with real engineering specs for same as Home Depot prices.

I do have heated grip elements, so your shields and heated grip elements would be good to the 20 degrees since they would knock the wind-chill off. I just plan on spending $20 on the right hardware at first; or I will later when it breaks. Anything taking a wind beating up front of a motorcycle has to be tough, flexible, and take UV rays. Just plan on it now or later.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Both the ZETA XCs and stock guards (on the '15) make a significant difference in windchill for ME...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode