3D printing is dope! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
3D printing is dope!

Despite a tall windshield, the turbulent air is generating some noticeable wind buzz despite wearing earplugs so i thought, raising up the windshield should push up the turbulent air above the helmet.

I have tried bolting it up with L-brackets before, but the setup looked kinda flimsy so i took it off. Searched around for ppl willing to laser cut up some steel or alu plates, but eventually none is willing to do a small job.

So i happen to bump into a guy doing up 3D printing. some communications back and forth on the designs and here i am with 2 piece of risers printed out. Not bad for a first draft, but it raised abit too high up i guess. 8cm from the original mounting hole. i intended to raise up about 5-6cm actually. but anyway i'll just use it for the time being, until it breaks (if it breaks).















rider's view - a lil' bit obscured. so yeah, i might order another pair slightly lower than this, when i cant bear with it any more


Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I tried the same thing with acrylic / Perspex.

It did not work too well.
Although it removed the buffering on top of my head. The screen is too narrow and it introduced a lot of side buffering - like someone slapping your ears constantly while riding.




Gigitt is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I tried the same thing with acrylic / Perspex.

It did not work too well.
Although it removed the buffering on top of my head. The screen is too narrow and it introduced a lot of side buffering - like someone slapping your ears constantly while riding.

Gigitt, i believed that my screen is wider than yours.

alternatively there's another screen that is pretty wide on the sides - Ermax


Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 10-08-2015 at 11:06 PM.
andrewhtf is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Despite a tall windshield, the turbulent air is generating some noticeable wind buzz despite wearing earplugs so i thought, raising up the windshield should push up the turbulent air above the helmet.

I have tried bolting it up with L-brackets before, but the setup looked kinda flimsy so i took it off. Searched around for ppl willing to laser cut up some steel or alu plates, but eventually none is willing to do a small job.

So i happen to bump into a guy doing up 3D printing. some communications back and forth on the designs and here i am with 2 piece of risers printed out. Not bad for a first draft, but it raised abit too high up i guess. 8cm from the original mounting hole. i intended to raise up about 5-6cm actually. but anyway i'll just use it for the time being, until it breaks (if it breaks).

rider's view - a lil' bit obscured. so yeah, i might order another pair slightly lower than this, when i cant bear with it any more
Look at California Scientific shields. What they do is relieve the pressure behind the screen with an opening at the bottom. I assume it is engineered since a member here a few inches taller than 6' got one and he said it worked great. You may have a real good idea, but it just needs to bridge the bottom with a plexiglass piece that has an opening size/shape similar to the shield below. Of course, the openings could change with other variables to be perfect, but...

This is also what expensive Goldwings use too, so it must be a proven way to reduce pressure behind the shield. It's also pretty thrifty if it would work: a 3 piece plexiglass set. You could sell them on ADVrider

If I break my Givi Air Flow Scoop drilling on my shield putting it on, then I'll try one of those California Scientific since they have a model for the Vs. 650 The air flow opening is a pretty innovative way to control pressure I'd like to try. Of course I'd like to see the 2010 fairing shield's to see if it is near as fairing-like as on the 2015! The 2015 Vs. 650 California Scientific fits pretty much like a complete fairing kit.

Kawasaki Versys Windshields



The 2010 model screen is not as good cosmetically (but it does have better wind coverage as the 2015 model, but not bad for the same technology; since it works without Stealth screen edging or expensive deflectors on the top of the screen or adjustable brackets (extra $$$.)


Last edited by kawdog; 10-08-2015 at 11:39 PM.
kawdog is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I went with Madatad 20in Sports Screen.

Really good with the robo bracket system.

Gigitt is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Look at California Scientific shields. What they do is relieve the pressure behind the screen with an opening at the bottom. I assume it is engineered since a member here a few inches taller than 6' got one and he said it worked great. You may have a real good idea, but it just needs to bridge the bottom with a plexiglass piece that has an opening size/shape similar to the shield below. Of course, the openings could change with other variables to be perfect, but...

This is also what expensive Goldwings use too, so it must be a proven way to reduce pressure behind the shield. It's also pretty thrifty if it would work: a 3 piece plexiglass set. You could sell them on ADVrider
yes i am aware of calsci screens but shipping 'em to me cost more than the shield itself! lol.

yeah i guess the large gap after raising up the screen is more than enough to relieve the pressure behind the screen lol!


Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I went with Madatad 20in Sports Screen.

Really good with the robo bracket system.

How much USD $$$?

It looks good if the price is right
kawdog is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
How much USD $$$?

It looks good if the price is right
Bought them local in Australia.
shipping the Madstad or CaliSci from USA was just not and option.
Gigitt is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
just a quick question - which loctite is tougher, red or blue?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
just a quick question - which loctite is tougher, red or blue?
Red> Blue > Purple

Loctite Colors | Threadlocker Colors - Henkel North America
Gigitt is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Member
 
1stversys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I am needing a different windshield for mine, I am just very hesitant as to which one I want to commit to. Being 6'5 I'm finding it difficult with a decision.

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
1stversys is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just came back from a 100-mile ride.

Good news, yes the turbulent air on the head is gone.
Bad news, i get more air rush hitting the neck and shoulder.

Perhaps i should make a shorter riser so the gap is smaller.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Thanks!

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
I am needing a different windshield for mine, I am just very hesitant as to which one I want to commit to. Being 6'5 I'm finding it difficult with a decision.
If I were that tall, and I do it anyway at just 6' tall, I'd talk with an owner who can cut the right shield for you like Parabellum or California Scientific: YOU NEED CUSTOM. Another member in LA may have been an inch shorter than you and got a nice looking shield from California Scientific that he said did the job. I was impressed, plus the California Scientific has the opening at the bottom of the screen to relieve the pressure built up behind the screen. Nothing off the shelf would probably fit you.
kawdog is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Bought them local in Australia.
shipping the Madstad or CaliSci from USA was just not and option.
i haven't looked, but Ebay is great for getting things to and from countries like UK an Australia. Most retailers have a revenue stream for their products world wide on ebay.
kawdog is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
I am needing a different windshield for mine, I am just very hesitant as to which one I want to commit to. Being 6'5 I'm finding it difficult with a decision.
Im 6'4" and had same problem.
Madstad 20in screen and RoboBrackets solves my problems.
The Brackets are worth their weight in gold because of their adjustability.
I have since upgraded my seat to a Seat Concepts and that has raised my seating position and I sometimes use an Airhawk R and there is still loads more height I can raise my screen.
I'm glad I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
i haven't looked, but Ebay is great for getting things to and from countries like UK an Australia. Most retailers have a revenue stream for their products world wide on ebay.
Madstad USA, USD$289.95 + shipping = AU$395 + shipping (i think is another US$100)

MotorradGarage Australia, AU$159+189 + 20 shipping = AU$368
https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/in...roduct_id=1296

I bought when the Aussie dollar was better but now it is crap so it is a bargain to purchase locally in Australia ATM.

Last edited by Gigitt; 10-09-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Gigitt is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The only thing I don't like about Madstad is paying $200 for adjustable bracket when the optimal wind force structural angle on the shield is usually in-line with the forks. So there are at least 2 shields that systematically do it all with just a shield (for the most part not including edging.)

Being in Australia jacks the price up another $100 unless they do enough business on ebay to have warehouse distributors over here (which it doesn't look like at the moment.) Lots of good shield choices for Vs. 650 owners though, so that is good
kawdog is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
The only thing I don't like about Madstad is paying $200 for adjustable bracket when the optimal wind force structural angle on the shield is usually in-line with the forks. So there are at least 2 shields that systematically do it all with just a shield (for the most part not including edging.)

Being in Australia jacks the price up another $100 unless they do enough business on ebay to have warehouse distributors over here (which it doesn't look like at the moment.) Lots of good shield choices for Vs. 650 owners though, so that is good
I looked at buy a screen once....
If i were to buy another fixed mount screen like the others and was not happy I am screwed.

Many other bikes (Super Tenere, V-Strom etc) use the Madstad Robobracket as a base to mount other screens even standard screen to give them ajustability the rider needs....

I went with something that I could live with and give me options as the standard 3 mount point on a Mk2 Versys does not give me this. and I was not going to pay USD$200+100 ship for a CalSci surfboard only to find it was still buffeting me on the stock mount points.

edit:
I the RoboBrackets have a very LARGE range of movement. I could of got away with buying an 18" screen and still be OK as I have lots of room to move the screen up.

Screen rake angle is further back than fork angle.

Last edited by Gigitt; 10-09-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Gigitt is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Member
 
1stversys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
If I were that tall, and I do it anyway at just 6' tall, I'd talk with an owner who can cut the right shield for you like Parabellum or California Scientific: YOU NEED CUSTOM. Another member in LA may have been an inch shorter than you and got a nice looking shield from California Scientific that he said did the job. I was impressed, plus the California Scientific has the opening at the bottom of the screen to relieve the pressure built up behind the screen. Nothing off the shelf would probably fit you.
Thank you for the tip kawdog
I will go with a custom build most likely

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
1stversys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome