Recommend any handguards cheaper than Barkbuster Storm? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recommend any handguards cheaper than Barkbuster Storm?

This is really a 2 part question. I intend to ride through the winter whenever there is no snow/ice, I would like handguards. The Barkbuster storms are great, but I'm really trying to mitigate spending and address debt right now, if there is a product that will be almost as good for less cash, I'd like to know about it.

Secondarily---as I look at the Storm's, I see them in a wide range of prices ($120-180) and also a separate mounting kit that's also around $100. Surely something like this is an all-in-one kit purchase, yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:12 AM

i too looked at the barkbusters but saved a fare bit by buying kawasaki own ones from the main dealers saved 1500 baht (42 us dollars )
i looked at others but they were too short due to the brake reservoir . price was 4100 baht ( 113 us ) and they came in black or green i personally like them better and the quality is very good ,if you want i can post photo latter its night here so dark

Last edited by ste860; 09-22-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: wrong price
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Barkdusters makes a cloth material handguards that sell around 110 bucks and are just one piece (I plan on buying them myself)...Barkbusters Blizzard Universal Handguards - RevZilla

Hippo Hands makes a fairly cheap hand guards...Motorcycle Hippo Hands, Handlebar Muffs

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
For really cold or wet weather i use these.......http://www.amazon.com/Quadboss-Handl...ords=ATV+mitts

Used them on the Versys now on the FJR when needed....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
This is really a 2 part question. I intend to ride through the winter whenever there is no snow/ice, I would like handguards. The Barkbuster storms are great, but I'm really trying to mitigate spending and address debt right now, if there is a product that will be almost as good for less cash, I'd like to know about it.

Secondarily---as I look at the Storm's, I see them in a wide range of prices ($120-180) and also a separate mounting kit that's also around $100. Surely something like this is an all-in-one kit purchase, yes?
whole kit $160

Barkbusters Storm Handguards for For Kawasaki Versys 650 '07-'14 - TwistedThrottle.com
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I run (ran...) Zeta XC guards w/ the 'drop-down' aluminum spine on my '08 (and '09). They survived a 20 mph low-side, and Amazon sells them for about $100US (AND you can have turn sigs in them for more $.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I've seen those ATV wraps, not gonna lie, I'm afraid of them. They are interesting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I run (ran...) Zeta XC guards w/ the 'drop-down' aluminum spine on my '08 (and '09). They survived a 20 mph low-side, and Amazon sells them for about $100US (AND you can have turn sigs in them for more $.
You have to buy the bar as one piece and the guards separately, yeah? At least on Amazon?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM

I also have a KLR with OEM handguards...great for keeping the wind off my hands in winter.

I tried to find an affordable set for the Versys for weeks, nothing really stood out. So, I also bought some mitts.

Oxford Motorcycle Mitts - $50
Oxford Handlebar Muffs for Motorcycles - TwistedThrottle.com

Great fit, no modification needed. Installs in about 3 minutes. I can access all of my controls. These will hold me over until I find some handguards I like...

I like the Bark Buster Muffs above...little more open.
I'll probably go for the Bark Buster Storms from TW in the spring after I give the muffs a try...

Last edited by outdoorgb; 09-23-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 AM

Garage
I have a set of Cycra Probends on my '09. I had to get some spacers and get a little creative to get them installed, but they fit fine and work well. Not sure how they work on newer models...

Here is a link to another install thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...installed.html

it looks like they sell in components or an entire kit with the mounts.

here's one solution: Cycra Pro-Bend Center Reach Clamp Racer Pack - Motorcycle Superstore

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...You have to buy the bar as one piece and the guards separately, yeah? At least on Amazon?
Seems to me that I saw them BOTH ways in the Amazon ads I looked at....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
And those are lightweight aluminum racing bars too. They were made for out bikes!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have some $20 cheapys block the mind and rain quite well dont think they would bust much bark tho

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i have some $20 cheapys block the mind and rain quite well dont think they would bust much bark tho
Mind blockers? Sounds interesting!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Mind blockers? Sounds interesting!
wind**

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 PM

Would the KLR handguards not adapt to the Versys. Seems it should be easy and cheap.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I've had handguards which I later had to remove due to installing Gaffer SS brake lines. I also do a lot of cold weather riding because of the local climate. Here's my brain dump, for what it is worth, on cold weather riding... Don't bother with hand guards, they don't have much of a noticeable effect on the warmth of your hands. Instead focus on gear. Instead invest in a good set of heated grips or heated gloves and heated jacket liner. Oxford heated grips are relatively cheap and work well, they're are also other good heated grips. Heated gloves are more expensive but warmer than heated grips and better for extended periods of riding in the cold. The downside to heated gloves is they are not as convenient as heated grips and twice the price. Heated gloves or grips and heated jacket liner are the cat's ass in cold weather (<50F to 32F). A heated jacket liner is almost essential if you are riding for extended periods, at higher speeds, in near freezing temperatures. You also need two heat controllers if you run heated gloves and heated jacket liner. Motorcycle pants are essential, jeans just don't block the wind in cold weather.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-25-2015 at 03:48 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Would the KLR handguards not adapt to the Versys. Seems it should be easy and cheap.
Some 'inmates' here have run Suzuki V-Strom guards which just mount on the ends of the bars, so - GOOD wind protection, but VERY LITTLE impact protection.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:42 PM

Barkbuster Storm vs Blizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste860 View Post
i too looked at the barkbusters but saved a fare bit by buying kawasaki own ones from the main dealers saved 1500 baht (42 us dollars )
i looked at others but they were too short due to the brake reservoir . price was 4100 baht ( 113 us ) and they came in black or green i personally like them better and the quality is very good ,if you want i can post photo latter its night here so dark
I had a set of Barkbuster Storms on an ER6n (Ninja). I now have a set of Blizzards on my 2015 650 Versys.

The Blizzards are so much more effective that its not funny. They are also much easier to install and remove in the warmer months.

They are still not as effective as the Oxford handlebar muffs, but are easier to use. The muffs tend to foul the levers. No such problem with the Blizzards.

BruceC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode